Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use of the term "push-bike"

Options
  • 07-05-2008 7:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, hardly an important thread but something I'd be interested to know.

It's something I've never heard outside Dublin but in Dublin most people seem to use the term "push-bike".

I wasn't too sure what it even meant exactly when I first heard but obviously had a fair idea.

So come on, does nobody else this term unusual? You call a bicycle a push bike but yet don't exactly push it around? :confused: Is it a city thing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

My tuppence-worth on this is that the term is used by cycling-ignorant people who think riding a bike is hard work and involves a lot of pushing. Me? if I want to avoid confusion with motorcyclists, I refer to a pedal-cycle, and pedalling is what I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

To be honest it probably comes from non-cyclists. I would use the term "push-bike" because I refer to my Kawasaki Vulcan as my "bike" which clearly has its own propulsion ;)

I don't think any offence is meant by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

My tuppence-worth on this is that the term is used by cycling-ignorant people who think riding a bike is hard work and involves a lot of pushing. Me? if I want to avoid confusion with motorcyclists, I refer to a pedal-cycle, and pedalling is what I do.

Seeing as its a term from my grandparents time - 1930s/40s - I don't think its a "cycling-ignorant" term!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I always thought it there to differentiate between a motor-bike and a bike that isn't a motor-bike. Bike could (possibly) be construed as either motorised or not, so push was prepended. That was my thinking anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I use "push" in order to remove any ambiguity from statements such as "I go into work on the bike".

It's a "push" bike, because you push the pedals with your feet, the context is correct. There's nothing ignorant about the word "push".

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

seamus wrote: »
    It's a "push" bike, because you push the pedals with your feet, the context is correct. There's nothing ignorant about the word "push".
    If you've to- clips/clipless pedals you should be pulling the pedal around the top of the circle as well, so I propose the term push/pull-bike, in the interest of accuracy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Is bicycle not unambiguous enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

dub_skav wrote: »
    Is bicycle not unambiguous enough?
    Maybe. Unless you meet someone from the late 1800's who calls it a "motorised bicycle". You can never be too careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

seamus wrote: »
    Maybe. Unless you meet someone from the late 1800's who calls it a "motorised bicycle". You can never be too careful.

They are the kind you meet out in this sunny weather, changing their vulcanised tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

When people say “push bike”, I take it that they mean “A push bike, rather than a real bike”. I don’t like it, bicycle is what you need to say. Though when I say bicycle people look at me like I’m talking about a spaceship or something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement