Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Fireworks help!! - how do you do this?

• 07-05-2008 8:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭

Lads, can you take a look at this website www.ulstergaa.ie and tell me how under the news section/ top stories section , when you click on the next the picture & headline changes and just selects that headline on RHS. I think its done with fireworks as its not a flash file? could be something with xml file for headlines and photograph.
    anybody help it should be simple enough

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

didn't really check it too much but its probably done with jquery or mootools or similar

http://jquery.com/
    http://www.mootools.net/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

that's done purely with css i think.

the basic concept is you have a static image (the one you see) and then when you hover your pointer over it, it changes text colour.

have a read of this.
    http://www.simplebits.com/notebook/2003/09/30/accessible_imagetab_rollovers.html

i haven't used fireworks since like fireworks 5 or something and i think i remember being a tool you could use to do this and it would generate the code for you, but tbh just making the images yourself and using neat and tidy css will be so much more satisfying and lead to better cross platform accessibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

It's done with AJAX. Google AJAX.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭culabula88

is it complicated to do?

instead of having the xml and it updating. could I make something like it in fireworks , so that if i click on the page it will change the photograph

or could i make the a photo 'slideshow' in fireworks where the photos would just change like a flash animation , but it would ensure that i am not alienating people with dial up who dont have flash?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I think it's tricky. There are some tutorials on the web and some tools but if you don't know what AJAX is it has a bit of a learning curve.

Fireworks (afair) is just an image editing program isn't it? At best you can have animated gifs, you can't do nice fades easily. There may be a default slideshow in fireworks - check the manual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

culabula88 wrote: »
    is it complicated to do?
    Not too complicated, however (no offence) from looking at the questions you've been asking you will more than likely find it complicated.
    As said above, look at the online tutorials.

nikimere wrote: »
    Not too complicated, however (no offence) from looking at the questions you've been asking you will more than likely find it complicated.
    As said above, look at the online tutorials.

No offence taken!! I am bit of a novice at this website design stuff. Ill leave it be for the time being or put in a flash animation instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Flash would be the easier option imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

personally though this is coming from the browser perspective of me, i really dislike flash navigation sites especially when most of my browsing is done using an old version netscape on my machine in work, it can be fussy with flash.

• Advertisement
Advertisement