Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New MTB recommendation #67532

Options
  • 07-05-2008 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm looking to get a MTB to go in/out to work (Dublin City...about 5miles each way) but also something I can go for a proper spin off-road on a Saturday. Something that will last me.

I used to cycle everywhere about 6/7 years ago and I'm looking forward to getting back in the saddle. Also, re-gaining some of that lost fitness too.
    I'm fairly codependent (sp?) with my hands so putting together a bike & maintaining it shouldn't be a problem.

So, I've budgeted myself approx €500-€600 euro. I'm looking for a hardtail MTB with disc brakes if possible. Also, frame size would be around 16in. (I'm a short arse!)

I've lost touch with the bike scene so makes/models would all be the same to me.

Something like these bikes I found this morning below:

Trek 4300 Disc (SRP €445)
    http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/2008/mountain_hardtail/4_series/4300disc/

Lapierre Tecnic 300 '08 (€545.00)
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=232&idproduct=17843

I'll stretch to 600 quid if you can persuade me.
    Buying the bike online would be my preference to save a few quid.

Cheers for any suggestions guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

If your able to put it together, maybe look at ebay and buying a frame and the components ? I don't know if this actually works out cheaper or not.

Another option would be to get a decent frame with cheaper components, so a rockhopper basic or something and then upgrade bits as you want.

For total laziness and commuting, you could even fork out for two spare wheels so you can just swap between slicks and knobblies. Getting the slicks off my wheels is absolute torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

:eek:both of those bikes IMO have a very poor spec for the money.
    (although this time of year is a **** time to buy bikes, bikes = $$$$ in summer:o:D)

on the trek, the crankset is SHOCKING!!!:eek: also Rst forks are really poor and cheap, they dont take much abuse. other than that the bike looks good, although for €600, ikes are starting to come with deore groupsets and hydrauic brakes. GT agressor XC.2 for example.

i think cyclesuperstore are dreaming with the lapeirre too, your spending the guts of €600, you should get more than a suntour front derailleur and a set of V-brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Much appreciated lads...I knew I'd be steered in the right direction here.
    Verb wrote: »
    If your able to put it together, maybe look at ebay and buying a frame and the components ? I don't know if this actually works out cheaper or not.

Another option would be to get a decent frame with cheaper components, so a rockhopper basic or something and then upgrade bits as you want.

For total laziness and commuting, you could even fork out for two spare wheels so you can just swap between slicks and knobblies. Getting the slicks off my wheels is absolute torture.

I like this approach alright. My only downfall is not knowing the good from the bad components and getting stung there. I could get a good frame and end up buying completely gash parts for it and be non the wiser.

I'd be happy if you guys could suggest a brief list of parts keeping in mind the price range of 500-600 quid. I can maybe stretch a bit more in the long run. I'm open to any suggestions.

I have a lockup in the job so I shouldn't have to worry about the quick release on the wheels/saddle. (Hopefully!)
    kona wrote: »
    :eek:both of those bikes IMO have a very poor spec for the money.
    (although this time of year is a **** time to buy bikes, bikes = $$$$ in summer:o:D)

on the trek, the crankset is SHOCKING!!!:eek: also Rst forks are really poor and cheap, they dont take much abuse. other than that the bike looks good, although for €600, ikes are starting to come with deore groupsets and hydrauic brakes. GT agressor XC.2 for example.

i think cyclesuperstore are dreaming with the lapeirre too, your spending the guts of €600, you should get more than a suntour front derailleur and a set of V-brakes.

Again cheers for that.
    I know it's a bad time to be buying but with the weather we're having at the mo it's killing me I've no bike!

I had a look through the stickies for links (that's where I found them two bikes this morning) but can you guys suggest a good online store for components and I can maybe start getting a build list together?

If I get a good frame maybe abroad (US, Germany, whatever) and the rest from Irish shops I reckon I could save myself a packet. I know I could just buy a pre-built bike but sure half the fun is putting a custom one together yourself.

I think starting with a good frame would be a start.
    Is there a similar thread like this as I'm sure it's been done to death.?

Thanks for your time lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

unless you are willing to wait a few months and slowly accumilate parts while looking for good deals, there is no way you will get away with building a better bike from components online for €600 than youd get out of a box in a shop for €600.
    its only around the €1000 mark you will start saving, i made a huge saving, mainly because i was able to get a excellent new kona frame basically for free with parts.
    but i had to build 2 bikes and sell one, and order parts in dribs and drabs. i was lucky and the fact i was selling at the right time, and that i had a good frame lying around to put the parts off the kona onto.

my advice is to go to a few bike shops at the weekend, eevn dare i say id halfords some evening when you have nothing better to do and see what they have to offer around the €600 mark.
    then if you live in dubin hit the city centre and go the cycleways, cyclogical, pennyfarthing etc and see what they have to offer, there may be some deals to be had.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Kona's right. Building up a bike, especially in that price range will be invariably more expensive. Bike manufacturers will buy components in bulk, so they're able to source them for a lot less. The advantage of the DIY approach of course is you get exactly the bike you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Ok so. That makes sense. I'll avoid Halfords though.

I'm in the city center so I'll pop round Cyclogical today and maybe Cycleways on Saturday & report back with what they have to offer. Maybe a decent second hand bike from Cyclogical?

Where's Pennyfarthing btw?...I know of it but have no idea where it is??

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Check out the shops up north, like chainreactioncycles.com or realcycles.com

Great value in the pound at the minute,

Here an example

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=14923

good spec for the money.

Alternatively go for something secondhand off the likes of irishdh.com or the club forums, like epic imbrc and mad.

I got a 2004 Santa cruz Bullit for €470 in mint condition last month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

never mind....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Penny Farthing's are on Camden street up from Whelans and pretty close to the Palace "nightclub".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,133 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Why not buy both? Get a good road/hybrid and a cheapist but reliable MTB?Realistically you'll use the commuting bike a hell of a lot more than off-roading.
    There's some great sales here http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/comms/srv.a4d?f%5Fpg=home%2Ehtm&f%5FCardinal=1

Giant CRS 3.0 2007 model for €252, whereas the same (but 08 model) in Cyclesuperstore is €455!

• Advertisement
Advertisement