Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Second hand car market dead?

Options
  • 07-05-2008 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or do other people find it hard to sell a car these days. I have a 06 Avensis for sale for a month now fairly competitively priced and I have only got one phonecall about it. Is it that there are too many of that particular car around or is there a slowdown in general?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

There's a fairly big gap between what sellers want to get and buyers are prepared to pay at the moment. Post up a link to the ad, see what people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭finbarrk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

This one is obvious, you need more pictures (better) and a larger description. What does pmo mean also?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

seems resonable to me, from a buyers perspective i like to see some inside shots. Because there are so many similar cars on the market im not going to waste time going to see a car if i can't see the inside from the pictures.

Also i think in general people are just being more cautious with their money now, i know at the start of the year i had intentions of buying a car for a certain amount of money but i've since reduced what im willing to spend as mortgage interest rates, personal loan interest rates, petrol and cost of living is rising. (but im just stating the obvious)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Might change the pictures so, thanks. Pmo - perfect mechanical order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

PWO is more commonly used, But why abbreviate at all ?
    Are they charging by the word ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

finbarrk wrote: »
    Might change the pictures so, thanks. Pmo - perfect mechanical order.

It might also be a good idea to park your car in a nicer setting for the photos.

Presentation is everything :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Nobody is going to buy your car with just one picture you need interior shots as keefg said a nice setting for the photos is good especially with the nice weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The fact that it is the bog spec Aura doesn't help either. Strata is more popular(and more desirable).

As the others said, you need more photos(of the inside in particular).

3 months tax and no mention of service history are not good either(the 3 months road tax is a storm in a teacup compared to no service history though).

PMO - don't bother with it - I've been a fan of cars for as long as I can remember and I can honestly say I can't remember the last time I saw it!(which tells you all you need to know about what people who are not into cars will think of "pmo"-nothing!)

The price seems perfectly reasonable to me, but the fact that we are not even 2 months away from one of the biggest changes in motoring history in the form of the new VRT rules means that there is a lot of uncertainty out there as well, which of course is entirely beyond your control!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

Yeah more description and take "nicer" photos.
    Interior photos help a lot, maybe one of the dash,so you can read the mileage.
    I drove my car onto a green area outside my house when I was taking the photos (just after cleaning the car).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

Wouldn't mention the three months road tax, it's hardly a selling point. After price what will help sell a two year old car is 'one owner from new, full Toyota service history, X months/years Toyota warranty' spiel. Copy the other ads and list the useful toy's/features: aircon? front/rear elec. windows? multiple airbags?

Doesn't help that a main Ford Dealer is selling a higher spec one for a grand more than you and I expect with a warranty as well:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Avensis/Strata-1.6/1044917/

A lot of the dealers seem to have a similar format regarding listing specs and multiple photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

well there's 422 06 Avensis for sale and you have 1 photo and a short description... does it have a service history? well maintained? receipts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

"parking sensors fitted" sound like terribal retro fit job, just leave it at "parking sensors"

take the cable tie off the front wheel before you take the shot

best of luck

ps we all know your mobile number now

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

finbarrk wrote: »
    Is it just me or do other people find it hard to sell a car these days. I have a 06 Avensis for sale for a month now fairly competitively priced and I have only got one phonecall about it. Is it that there are too many of that particular car around or is there a slowdown in general?

Having the same problem as you mate. Seems to be reaaaallly slow out there for selling secondhand cars. Your not the first I've heard complain about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Nothing wrog with your price really. Some people have fantastical expectations looking at some of the prices out there...good to see some common sense. Although going on 15% straight line depreciation for 2 years €18,000 is about right.

E92 said it best. I wouldn't even bother going to see an Aura, or even a Strata at this stage. You don't necessarily see the money back on the Strata come sale time, but it does make it easier to sell on.

Again, service history, a good wash and wax, proper interior mats etc...

If that's Kilkee, take a few seaview pictures. Keary's of Cork/Mallow would be a good format to follow for photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Having the same problem as you mate. Seems to be reaaaallly slow out there for selling secondhand cars. Your not the first I've heard complain about it.

sure if you drive anywhere these days you will see about a few cars with a for sale sign parked on the side of the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Second hand car market is veeeeeeeeeeery slow at the mo. Either "price it to sell" or wait a while. You'll never sell it if you're in competition with 422 other cars. Not enough demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

eye ive the jeep for sale a month now and no go....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The summer months can be tough at selling a car at the best of times due to most people spending their money on holidays, etc rather than cars.

The fact that come July the Irish car market will be shaken up considerably means that people are sitting tight, will let the dust settle and wait to see what happens.

Another factor is the current credit crunch means that banks and lending institutations are a bit more careful now as to who and how much money they will give out.

Advertisement