Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you put in contact lenses? i cant.

• 07-05-2008 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

I have been to like 3 "teaches" in specsavers & i still can’t put in contact lenses.

Has anybody else had similar difficulty??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

You'll get used to it.

I remember when I first started wearing them. it was absolute hell. I felt like I'd never get used to them. Just keep at it and it'll become second nature.

Now, if I put a contact lens near the eyeball it will be easily absorbed into it.

Trust me mate, you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ah I remember the “teaches”

I was hopeless at the start. Took two sessions before I got the contact lenses in.
    And then my first night with them I was touching my eye too hard and too often as I struggled and had to go to A&E as my eye was bloodshot

It’s entirely down to practice and a wise tip is to look up as you do it. You were probably told that already but it’s realy the key imo.
    And you might find it far harder with one eye more than the other. Entirely normal

Is there a forum for this kind of thing somewhere :confused:

And don’t come home from the pub and fall asleep with them in.
    Yes, you’ll do it and yes, you will regret it! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Yeah I had a tiny amount of trouble at the start, used to take a minute or two to get them in place. Three years later now and I have it down to roughly 10 seconds for the two eyes.

Some people have a complex about touching their eyeballs which prevents them from putting lenses in properly becasue theyre afraid they'll poke themselves in the eye.

AH Reply:
    Think of it like anal sex, grit your teeth and just do it until you get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

micmclo wrote: »
    And don’t come home from the pub and fall asleep with them in.
    Yes, you’ll do it and yes, you will regret it! :eek:

+1 million Ive done it twice (in my defence I was drunk :rolleyes:)

I wear my contacts from time to time and it sometimes takes 2 goes to get them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

c - 13 wrote: »
    AH Reply:
    Think of it like anal sex, grit your teeth and just do it until you get used to it.

Ha ha ha thast a good1.

thats what i tell the misses, it will be over in a min.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I wouldn't trust Specsavers as far as I could throw them! But yeah, I had difficulty at the start. I was 14 (and a half) when I got lenses.

I can't even tell you how long it took to get used to them, you just do after a while. Nowadays I can pop them in and out without thinking about it. I often do it at parties to show people my natural eye colour (I wear coloured contacts);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭badolepuddytat

Back to the contact lens question :) yeah, learning to put them in is tortuous, I wore gas permeables for over 10 years before switching to softs and getting used to putting in the softs was so painful. Not to mention taking them out without ripping them! Once you get the knack it's fine though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Defenestrate

I struggled with mine initially too. I'm far too vain to wear specs though, so I kept trying and it's just something you get used to. It's so hard not to blink at first though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

i went the other day & this artard was not helpful whats so ever.

she had am i bovvered additude.

i will keep trying im sick of wearing glasses

Try putting them in on the white part of your eye, it's not as sensitive as the pupil or the iris and you can always tuck it in behind the lid if it wont stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Is there a problem with sleeping with contact lenses in.

I was told never to do it but after wearing them for a year, I just keep them in for about 4 days.

It's probably not doing my eyes any good but I've never had an eye infection.

In fact it's laughable the amount of things I was originally told not to do with them in like

-showering
    -swimming
    -sleeping
    -sex

How many of you fellow contact lens users have followed these rules

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

I feel for you OP. It took me ages to get used to the damn things when I started wearing them but as others have said, it progressively gets easier and easier.

What I would say is listen to what the opticians say and take it seriously with regard to the length of time the lenses should be worn on a daily basis. I wore mine too long and you get a bit inflamed under the eyelid and then have to stop wearing the lenses altogether until this settles down.

Agreed also with what someone said above about falling asleep with the lenses in - avoid this. If you do, wait a little while after you wake before trying to take the lenses out. Your eyes will be very dry as your tear ducts will have been inactive during your sleep and you won't have been blinking therefore not spreading any tears over your eyeball. When this happens the lens can get kinda stuck to your eye and if you try removing it you can damage you can damage the outer front surface of the eye (cornea I believe). Wait until you've been up for a bit and your eye "juices up".

The lenses are also hell to put in the morning after a feed of drink or if you have had no sleep, both causing dry eyes, but if you are neither an alcoholic or an insomniac then should be grand given time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

swingking wrote: »

I was told never to do it but after wearing them for a year, I just keep them in for about 4 days.

In fact it's laughable the amount of things I was originally told not to do with them in like

-showering
    -swimming
    -sleeping
    -sex

I've only slept with lenses in accidentally due to being p1ssed. However I have shagged, swam and showered with them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

swingking wrote: »

-showering
    -swimming
    -sleeping
    -sex

-showering - All the time

-swimming - Not in a pool but in the sea, no problem

-sleeping - Only when drunk, dont recommend it

-sex - I really dont understand why you'd want them out for sex unless someone is planning to lick your eyeballs or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Wearing them overnight CAN give an eye infection but with a soft you should be ok. The problem is if it rolls around to the back of the guy which can be murder to get out. My old man looked like a pirate on his wedding day as he fell asleep in lenses resulting in needing an eyepatch. This coupled with long hair and a beard made him look like a realy jack tar.

Hard contact lenses are a BIG nono overnight. AFAIK theyh can do a whole load of damage if worn too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

it helps a lot if the person teaching you how to put them in is very good looking.

I just repeatedly stabbed myself in the eye with a finger cause she told me too until i figured it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

First time I went for the 'teach', I made a holy show of myself. No real probs getting them in, but actually taking them out was a 'mare. God, I made a holy show...and my two eyeballs looked like hell.

Second time, holy show again. But the lovely assistant told me I could take them home with me anyway, 'to get the hang of them'. I needed a shot of whiskey to take them out the first few times, but now it's no probs at all.

The only time I ever need to take them out is when I'm going to sleep. No probs wearing them in the showers, etc. They're great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

what seems to be the problem OP are you blinking when you try to put them in, if so look upwards and open your mouth it seems to lessen the blink reflex, or alternately just get the thirty day continuous wear and you only have to put them in once a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

There Such A Pain In The Ass!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 phreneticus

forget leaving them in when you're drunk, what's WAY worse is coming home so ****faced you spend half an hour trying to get the bastard yokes out and when you're basically crying blood realise "oh yeah, i wore glasses tonight"......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I have been to like 3 "teaches" in specsavers & i still can’t put in contact lenses.

Has anybody else had similar difficulty??

Cant put them in, they scare the crap out of me.:eek: I'm too vain to wear my glasses too so most of the time I just walk around half blind.:o

Cant put them in, they scare the crap out of me.:eek: I'm too vain to wear my glasses too so most of the time I just walk around half blind.:o

Was exactly the same with me, I really couldn't stand touching my eyeball, and was fighting a losing battle against the blink reflex.

Just keep at it, it just clicked with me one day and I haven't looked back since. :)

Was exactly the same with me, I really couldn't stand touching my eyeball, and was fighting a losing battle against the blink reflex.

Just keep at it, it just clicked with me one day and I haven't looked back since. :)

I cant even think about it without my eyes watering:D. What scares me most is not being able to get them out.:eek: I think I might just save up for the laser, at least then all the eyeball poking will be done in one go.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's a bit tough at the start but you get used to it really quickly. If they're in the wrong way, you know about it because it hurts. You need to learn what they look like when they're the right way up.

Taking them out, now that's where I fall down, even after 7 years. I always manage to move them and get them stuck behind my eyelid, so I have to massage my eye for ages trying to coax them back down. Or else I think I've taken it out, but I can't see where it fell (dailies) and then I'm not sure I actually have taken them out. I usually spend another 10 mins trying to get them out again until I give up. I feel like there's probably a collection of old contacts stuck on my eye somewhere...

Faith wrote: »
    It's a bit tough at the start but you get used to it really quickly. If they're in the wrong way, you know about it because it hurts. You need to learn what they look like when they're the right way up.

Taking them out, now that's where I fall down, even after 7 years. I always manage to move them and get them stuck behind my eyelid, so I have to massage my eye for ages trying to coax them back down. Or else I think I've taken it out, but I can't see where it fell (dailies) and then I'm not sure I actually have taken them out. I usually spend another 10 mins trying to get them out again until I give up. I feel like there's probably a collection of old contacts stuck on my eye somewhere...

You have just killed any desire I had left to ever wear contacts!:eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

From experience - the teaches in Specsavers are crap!

I went to a smaller opticians and they were much better

But you'll get the hang of it in no time, I think ruined about 10 pairs of lenses before I got a pair in my eye!

I've always found getting contacts out easy, the facts is that you're grabbing the lens not your eye, if your fingers touch the eyeball then it's not the sensitive pupil as the lens is covering it so it isn't a problem.

And there's no way you could have old lenses in your eye, you'd feel them there, trust me on that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

It's easily. Just ram it in there. Found taking them out hard the first day. Scratches the eye off myself. It's easy now though; you find your own methods of doing it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Katja

Eeeek. :eek: The horror stories here have kinda put me off from getting lenses. Just one accidental poke and the vitreous humor might leak out...:eek:

Lasik, here I come...

Advertisement