Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you put in contact lenses? i cant.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭valz_walsh

Try putting the contacts in wtihout using a mirror. Thats what I always do. The idea of looking at myself ticking my finger in my eye, is weird!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

Well your first mistake was going into Specsavers, your second was speaking to someone at the counter, your third was having an eye-test there, and so on!

I'm just after getting contact lens for the first time. Unfortunately I have a very rare condition in my eye and as a result I have to get special contacts... Anyway back to the point, the place to go to Dixon Hempenstall.

I'm definitely not someone who enjoys sticking my finger in my eye, but now I can actually touch the lens in my eye! It's unbelievable.

The trick is to grab your eyelid by the lashes (both top and bottom lids) this will stop the blinking reaction then practice moving the finger that you'd have the lens on towards your eye. Once you get used to this try it with the actual lens.

Get some proper lessons (i.e. don't go to Specsavers!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Lirange wrote: »
    I had Lasik surgery and highly recommend it.

I take it that's not an option for you?

How much did it cost you?

There's absolutly nothing wrong with going to Specsavers. Iv been going there for years, and Iv never had a problem with them. My friend has a particular eye condition too and she has to wear special contacts and Specsavers have been more then helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Shane732 wrote: »
    Well your first mistake was going into Specsavers, your second was speaking to someone at the counter, your third was having an eye-test there, and so on!

I'm just after getting contact lens for the first time. Unfortunately I have a very rare condition in my eye and as a result I have to get special contacts... Anyway back to the point, the place to go to Dixon Hempenstall.

I'm definitely not someone who enjoys sticking my finger in my eye, but now I can actually touch the lens in my eye! It's unbelievable.

The trick is to grab your eyelid by the lashes (both top and bottom lids) this will stop the blinking reaction then practice moving the finger that you'd have the lens on towards your eye. Once you get used to this try it with the actual lens.

Get some proper lessons (i.e. don't go to Specsavers!)

I seriously don't get all the hate for specsavers. Sure they're not going to win awards for their service or anything but my option there is very helpful. She answered all and every question I could throw at her when I was enquiring about contacts. Went through the putting them in taking them out routine very well and made sure I was alright after using them etc. She's also very good when it comes to my check ups.

That said I dont actually buy my lenses from specsavers any more because I find it much cheaper and more convenient to pick them up online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

I went to specsavers earlier this week for a fitting.
    Wasn't very impressed with their "teaching".
    They expected me to put them in for the first time out in the middle of the shop (not in a private room).
    Not the best when you're nervous in the first place.

Gave up and haven't been back since.
    Trying to get up the nerve to go back today and give it another try!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

I think you should stick with it. I made a holy show of myself once, had to have the assistant take out my lenses etc.

When I finally did get to take a pair home, I needed a shot of whiskey to get the courage to touch my eyeball.

But now lenses are a revelation for me, and I haven't 'looked' back since. Pardon the pun in that last sentence, if there is one!

markesmith wrote: »
    I think you should stick with it. I made a holy show of myself once, had to have the assistant take out my lenses etc.

Went back last Friday and I've been doing a lot better since.
    Able to get them both in in about 5 minutes. Most of that time is spent trying to figure out whether they're inside out or not.
    Irritates the hell out of my eyes when they're not in right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Defenestrate

Just keep trying, it's so worth it. Eventually you'll become so used to it that you'll even be able to pluck eyelashes off your eyeball.

• Advertisement

I had trouble with them too in the beginning..

I had two of those lessin things..

Eventually got it.. Still find it harder to put the right one in.. even though I am right handed.. strange much!

Just wondering, Has anyone ever slept with them in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 skuld_in_tape

I haven when I'm drunk. Generally take them out in the morning if they haven't fallen out already - after a white they get really dry and they'll be literally itching to come out. Sometimes at a festival or such I just put some eye drops in and they sometimes last another day.

Iv slept with them in too. I wouldnt recommend it. If you do though, dont try and take them out right away. Blink a couple of times, as the contacts can dry out your eye over night, and you can damage your eye when you try and take them out too soon.

Iv also swam, and gone for a shower with them in, both big no no's, but not the end of the world if your careful. I wouldnt take long flights with them in, planes can be very drying on the eye's, best just to wear glasses.

My main problem seems to be getting the lenses the correct way around.
    On Saturday alone I managed to put the right lens in backwards twice.

I've heard there are lenses with some sort of identifying symbol to prevent this.
    Are there any particular brands that have this feature?

The Acuvue Oasys I use have a little '123' symbol on them for this but I've never used it. The best way to check is just to look at the lens, if it's the wrong way round the edges flick up a little rather than being a perfect dome shape.

The best way to check is just to look at the lens, if it's the wrong way round the edges flick up a little rather than being a perfect dome shape.

I've tried that and the taco method with my current lenses, but I just can't see a significant physical difference either way round.

• Advertisement

Maybe it's less apparent with whatever brand you're wearing but there still should be a noticable difference between right and wrong ways out, otherwise it wouldn't matter which way you put it in. Try holding it up to the light and flipping it each way till you can see the change. (And keep it hydrated otherwise you could tear it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Rob_l wrote: »
    look upwards and open your mouth it seems to lessen the blink reflex
    This here is what bugged me about trying to put them in, i gave up after 4 days as it just irritated me to no end...but this was 2 years ago.

Those 30 day ones i havent even seen before(no pun intended)but might check them out and go with the flow. It would be nice to have a break from glasses after 15 years:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Shea Butter

OP You have to persevere. When I first tried it in Spec Savers I was there in a room for about 1 hour. Eventually one of the guys came over to me a practically shouted instructions at me. I got them in due to the raised voice :D Never looked back.

Try not to leave them in drunk. I have done it a few time but mine are soft monthly and I didn't do any damage. Once I was driving home from work one day while wearing my glasses which had been giving me a bit of discomfort at work, which I put down to the beer the night before and spending all day at the computer. When I removed my glasses while in the car, after a few blinks I thought my eye sight had fixed itself. :)

Yep.... I still had my contacts in :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Jigsaw wrote: »
    However I have shagged, swam and showered with them in.

At the same time ?

Advertisement