Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for doctor with interest in Diving

• 07-05-2008 10:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I have an unknown medical condition, possibly Meniere's Disease but this has not been diagnosed. I suffer from loss of hearing and dizziness in my right ear sporadically. This used to be along with naseau and vertigo, although since my doctor prescirbed Stugeron these have virtually ceased, but i do still get the hearing loss and dizziness.

I have done a PADI Scuda Diver and PADI OW since I have been getting these "episodes" and have never had any problem.

On both of the PADI courses i informed the operator of the condition but we preceded to dive without me having to undergo a medical. Granted this was not best practice but this is not the issue at hand.

I now wish to do AOW and consulted my doctor. He was unwilling to sign off on the dive due to the dept, but at the same time does not believe I am not fit to dive. He wishes to seek the opinion of a GP with more experience in this area.

He believes that the CFT medical form contains a list of Irish GP's who may be contacted.

Can anyone provide this listing? Or in deed a diagnosis to me ear condition :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

You could ring CFT at 01-2844601 and ask for the doc nearest to you. (That list on the medical form only has 4 or 5 names one it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

... and in the meantime you could get a qualified second opinion from one of the best online diving medical sites -

http://www.scuba-doc.com

- check their archives for both the malady and the medicine. Remember that the U.S. may have a different name for Stugeron

Best of luck for a happy outcome

Seadeuce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Scania

I was diagnosed with the same problem a few years ago. I asked the consultant (St Vincents), if I could still dive. Yes, he said, but no matcho diving. In other words no deep diving.

A friend of mine who is a life long sufferer and somewhat of Irelands leading light (but no diver) on this problem told me that I probably did not suffer from it but a form of deep inner ear infection. He also said, that there are two or three places in UK, who can diagnose it, but none in Ireland, as it is quite complicated.

I think he was right about me because I only had two attacs so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

I have been to a Dr Fleetwood in Blackrock. He does CFT Medicals and may be able to assist you. His no is 012887328

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

cheers guys

my GP got in touch with a doctor on the CFT medical commision, who in turn referred me onto another GP. So at the moment Im waiting to see this guy.

@ seaduce Will check out scuba doc

@ scania do you remember who the consultant was? i take it you mean your friend is a lifelong sufferer of meniere's?
    Im off the Stugeron since last Thurs and no effects, so maybe the Stugeron wasnt doing anything....maybe the episodes are gettin milder on there own.
    Would you mind asking him for details of these places in the UK. This has been going on two years now and I would go over there if it meant some answers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

seadeuce wrote: »
    ... and in the meantime you could get a qualified second opinion from one of the best online diving medical sites -

http://www.scuba-doc.com

Lads I'd warn against getting a second opinion from anyone who can't take a full history from you or examine you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

well the verdict is in, no diving until i go 6 months without meds and episode free :(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

Sorry to hear that, good luck & fingers crossed.

Benny

Advertisement