Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for soy sauce and lingerie!

Options
  • 07-05-2008 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hi! We'll be in Cork City at the weekend (can't wait!). We'll be looking for a few things. Does anybody know where to buy Indonesian Soy Sauce called Kecap Manis. Are there Asian food shops?
    I'm also looking for a good quality lingerie shop. Can anybody recommend one?
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Intriguing... lol

Regarding soya sauce, I'd suggest Mr. Bell's in the English Market. Not certain if they'll have it but it's in the city centre so give it a go. There's also a small asian supermarket... very small... on the Coal Quay across from Bridewell Garda Station. There's also an asian supermarket somewhere else - I know they deliver food to my parents restaurant... I think it's up Barrack Street area, but I'm not certain. Can any fellow boardsies help me out??

Regarding lingerie, Ann Summer's is off Patrick Street. Helaine's is on Oliver Plunkett Street.

Have fun!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

Aspiration wrote: »
    Intriguing... lol

Regarding soya sauce, I'd suggest Mr. Bell's in the English Market. Not certain if they'll have it but it's in the city centre so give it a go. There's also a small asian supermarket... very small... on the Coal Quay across from Bridewell Garda Station. There's also an asian supermarket somewhere else - I know they deliver food to my parents restaurant... I think it's up Barrack Street area, but I'm not certain. Can any fellow boardsies help me out??

Regarding lingerie, Ann Summer's is off Patrick Street. Helaine's is on Oliver Plunkett Street.

Have fun!! :D

I knew the title would get a response! lol!
    Thanks for the addresses! Not too impressed with Ann Summers regarding quality. I will check out the other place though.

What is your parent's restaurant called? What sort of cuisine is it?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Lol, it's a chinese restaurant (i wouldn't bother - it's horrid :p) which is why i know there's an asian market somewhere up by Barracks St. but i can't quite put my finger on where it is!

Haven't been down in a while but I'm sure it's been mentioned here a few times. Let me have a look around for ya!

Check out the Helaine's place. I don't know what they're like to be honest but a few friends have gotten stuff there... It doesn't look appealing from the outside but you'd never know!!

Edit: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55647117&postcount=8 I think this may be the place i'm talking about however, i have no idea where the "coal place" is... Sorry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

The Barrack St. place was closed the last time I went there. It sells a lot of bulk stuff (huge jars of MSG!) but they have smaller sizes too. I'd say the Coal Quay minimarket or Mr. Bell's probably have a better selection but it's an interesting place for a browse.

Anyway, here's where it used to be:
    It's hard to find. Go southwards on South Main St, passing the Beamish brewery on your right. Cross South Gate Bridge. Go straight up the hill. Less than 100 m up the road splits in two, take the right. Carry on maybe 100 m until you see an off-licence called "Next Door" on the left. There's a laneway just before it on the left, turn up here, then turn left again as the lane widens. You'll find yourself in a little yard with industrial/storage units, the shop is in one of these. I think it mightn't even have a sign outside. If it's closed, you can track back and have a pint in Tom Barry's pub on Barrack St and have a peek into Elizabeth Fort on the way back down.

Can't help with the lingerie, sorry, but soy sauce + undies sounds like an inadvisable combination.

Advertisement