Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Balanced Flue regulations - for gas fire

• 07-05-2008 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi,
    I am installing a gas fire with a balanced flue in an extension. We have built a parapit wall on our side of the boundary fence, about 150mm inside the boundary. I would like to know if it is possible to have the flue terminating out through the parapit wall (facing the neighbours, but still on our side of the boundary) about 2 meters high. the reason I dont want to go up through the roof is that we have velux windows and a valley directly over the fire. any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I think you are referring to a dwarf wall not a parapet. 150mm is very tight for any work to be done (dont forget the plasterer) If its very sheltered in this location and there is no draw on the flue then it wont work which can be dangerous. You could possibly bring the flue out the wall and vertically up to the required roof level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Slig wrote: »
    I think you are referring to a dwarf wall not a parapet. 150mm is very tight for any work to be done (dont forget the plasterer) If its very sheltered in this location and there is no draw on the flue then it wont work which can be dangerous. You could possibly bring the flue out the wall and vertically up to the required roof level.
    What makes you think he is refering to a dwarf wal not a parapet?
    Sound like it could be a parapet, no reason it can't be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

We have built a parapit wall on our side of the boundary fence, about 150mm inside the boundary
    I could be completely wrong, but it just didnt make sense that it would be a parapet unless there is a flat roof and the op states that there is a valley and velux above.
    I just imagined that the extension wall started 150mm in from, and parallel to, the boundary fence but I could be taking it up wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 callie16v

Slig wrote: »
    I could be completely wrong, but it just didnt make sense that it would be a parapet unless there is a flat roof and the op states that there is a valley and velux above.
    I just imagined that the extension wall started 150mm in from, and parallel to, the boundary fence but I could be taking it up wrong.

You are taking it up right, it's a parapet wall with an A roof & valley. its 150 mm in from the boundary fence.
    Anyway, looks like we wont be able to get the fire, due to regulations with the flue :confused:

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

callie16v wrote: »
    You are taking it up right, it's a parapet wall with an A roof & valley. its 150 mm in from the boundary fence.
    Anyway, looks like we wont be able to get the fire, due to regulations with the flue :confused:

why dont you let the flue enter the 'boundary' wall just below ceiling level, and then allow it to exhaust above the parapet on the outside.....
    the idea of this is to keep it out of reach from your neighbours....
    i assume by your posts that the new parapet wall is going to be the new boundary wall???? is this correct....

once this flue exhausts 600mm away from any opening it should be fine.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    why dont you let the flue enter the 'boundary' wall just below ceiling level, and then allow it to exhaust above the parapet on the outside.....
    the idea of this is to keep it out of reach from your neighbours....
    i assume by your posts that the new parapet wall is going to be the new boundary wall???? is this correct....

once this flue exhausts 600mm away from any opening it should be fine.

Sorry for the slow reply,
    the problem with this is that there is not enough room to get the flue up over the cappings that are on the parapet wall, without entering the neighbours property.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

... con saw......

sydthebeat wrote: »
    ... con saw......

you know that is almost crazy enough to work!

Advertisement