Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do i do with a broken laptop?

• 07-05-2008 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

well basically i have a HP DV2000 laptop, water has been spilled on it about 2 months ago, it no longer works. I've tried everything from taking it to computer technicians to fixing it myself and ebayed to see if i can get spare parts.
    I bought a Macbook about a month ago, now I'm just wondering what can i do with the HP laptop, other than chucking it in the bin.
    Will a new motherboard be the solution? Now since i already have a macbook, what could i use the other laptop for? I thought as a router.
    What does everyone else think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Several options. 1) Remove the hard drive, get an external 2.5" caddy and use it as portable backup storage for your mac (format it fat though)
    2) attempt to repair the laptop by getting a new motherboard at your expense on the off chance it may work,if it doesn't your out of pocket.
    3)Recycle / Dump it
    4)sell on ebay for parts, or sell as water damaged with no warranty implied.
    5)Give it to me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Smarmore

Same thing happened me about a month ago and I got it covered off home contents insurance. My parents had extra cover for accidental damages on their policy so they put the claim in for me. The insurance company looked up the Dell website and refunded the value of a similar model, which happened to have an even better spec, so I can go and buy a new one now. Sweet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 nadimmu

oh thats grand, yeh, i bought an enclosure for the hd and im using it now for backing up files.

I was thinking of possibly using it as a router or a dummy machine just to use for downloads, or possibly a media centre if i buy an AV cable to plug into the TV.

I'm also wondering, if the motherboard is fried, what happens to everything else, such as the memory?, would the WHOLE system itself be fried?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Very possible that the ram and cpu where damaged to especially if the machine was on at the time of taking a drink. To be honest its probably not worth fixing unless you really feel it would be worth it. You could go the route of the home insurance too, I have done letters for people in similar circumstances but I never put a valuation on the dead laptops, thats the insurance companies job. :) You might get some cash out of it.

yeh thats the problem, i live in a students residence that doesn't insure students' belongings.
    My house is back in Dubai, and the whole insurance thing will be a mess cause they're pretty disorganised over there. Plus my house is in a compound back there that belongs to an oil company, so insurance isnt really recognised

Are there ways of modding the laptop?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

put it on adverts.ie ,sum1 will buy it 4 parts.or ebay it.handy 4 sum1 with a hp laptop as spares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Ill give you a wireless router for it if you want as i have the same laptop might come in handy if mine ever breaks just hope it never does lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I have an old Dell CPXJ 600 Latitude that I left out overnight in the rain last saturday week. let it dry out completly for the week and is is now working perfect. I think the big mistake people do is trying switch it on when the internals are wet which distroys the motherboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

How big is the battery

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

sell it for parts :pac:

• Advertisement

If that battery is compatible with the dv6000 series: dibs.

hmm not sure, i figured i could use it as a portable home server or a media center, once i get the motherboard fixed...seems like a good idea.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

water damage means the motherboard is probably what's dead

screen is the most valuable bit maybe eBay
    HDD / Ram should be ok or at least easy to test

I've had liquids spill on my laptop :(
    don't bother turning it off, you want to turn it unside down so the liquid don't go deeper and whip out the power cable and battery all in less time that it takes to hold down the power button

ask anyone about mobile phones and water damage - its not good news

what i might be tempted to do if all else failed and was resigned to the fact it was a brick would be to buy some iso-propanol alcohol in the chemists ( head cleaner ) and washing it out with that, real kill or cure stuff - but if it's dead .. oh yeah remove the RAM and HDD first and only apply where the liquid was and do it and let it dry out side because of the fire risk

oh wow, yeh thanks Capt'n Midnight , i'll try that.

I'm just not sure how many people would search for dv2000 lcd screen on ebay lol, so i dont think i will be sold in the next few days.:pac:

no dibs on the battery?

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

Similar situation - screen is gone on mine. I know the model of the screen, but the laptop itself is a weird make. Thinking of getting a new laptop, but it would be nice to refurbish this one.

Advertisement