Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road

Options
  • 07-05-2008 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

So, I saw No Country For Old Men some months ago, adapted from a book by Cormac Mccarthy. Then I heard about his latest novel The Road which I was assured at the time was equally if not more depressing.

I mentioned this to a friend who recommended it and he said no, read this book! I just read it over the weekend and I cannot recall a book whose pages captured my complete attention such as this. I could not put it down. And it's been playing on my mind ever since. This is a rare read.

Is it depressing? Strangely, for a storyline set on a road in America in a desolate post apocalyptic future, it's far from it.

Has anyone else read it? Or am I the last in a long line?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Its very good..

But despressing does not even cover it..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

There's a thread on it somewhere from recent enough. Great book, fast became one of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I knew John would be on here soon enough:D I think you should get paid for all the marketing you've done for The Road on here. Suffice to say I have it sitting on my desk and I'll be starting it next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Brush

I envy you. It's personal taste I know, but unlike anything I've read for a long time it really got under my skin. Beautifully written, with the odd paragraph that you have to just read back over again cause it's so rich.

Valmont wrote: »
    I knew John would be on here soon enough:D I think you should get paid for all the marketing you've done for The Road on here. Suffice to say I have it sitting on my desk and I'll be starting it next week!

Cormac McCarthy owes me a mint at this stage!

• Advertisement

What other Mccarthy book(s) would you recommend?
    Add this to the marketing fee. You're doing a great job.
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Looks like I'll have to trawl ebay for the Road. Thanks for the suggestion!

Brush wrote: »
    What other Mccarthy book(s) would you recommend?
    Add this to the marketing fee. You're doing a great job.
    Thanks.

No Country for Old Men is the next obvious one. If you've seen the movie though I wouldn't bother for a while, they didn't change much of the book.

Blood Meridian is brilliant but heavy going, it's written in a more biblical style. Set in the west in the 19th century, it's all about the scalping trade.

The Border Trilogy is amazing but pretty long. You can get the three books (All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing, City of the Plain) in one volume. It's not as hard to read as Blood Meridian but it still has that epic language to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

+1 for The Road. Absolutely excellent.

Heres my thread on it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055214135&highlight=road

Kinda hope that no one's going to make it into a movie. Thanks for the thread. Only getting the hang of this and it's been well worth the effort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Brush wrote: »
    Kinda hope that no one's going to make it into a movie.

Too late.

I absolutely adored this book and I would recommend No Country For Old Men too. The film was pretty good but the book was far, far better.

Advertisement