Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can GTA go now?

• 07-05-2008 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Well after we have all had time to play our way through GTA4 a fair bit, and can finally let your joypad down to attend to life.

Where do we all think the GTA franchise can go now? The mighty creators of GTa probably have 2-3 more versions in their head and know where they are going, but what would you like to see?

Personally I'd love to see GTA london done in 3d, i really liked that game, like come on you got to blow up the chelsea football team!!!! It was a great bit of fun and im sure with a 3d makeover could be rather pretty.

I would be also interested in seeing them do a ealy 1900's version, major mafia style. Of course we have mafia and the godfather, but gta provides a different slant on the genre, and it might be an interesting area to see done, and lets face it playing a 1930's gangster will never get old.

Someone mentioned to me a about a futuristic gta, but then i remember old GTA2, which if im not mistaken was set in the future , might be another avenue.

Of course two of these 3 are remakes, but there is only so much you can actually do with the genre, and i think now its all being covered. possibly another vice city type game might work, since it was a very popular installment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I'd like to see them continuing with Niko as the main character. Don't want anymore GTA set in London as it was a pile of bollix last time around and there's just nothing interesting about it. 1930's - na, that would be horribly boring and I shiver just thinking about what the radio would sound like (thats if there is any radio at all).

I'm not really sure what I'd want from the next GTA, I'm still having too much fun with this one!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'm guessing the next game will just be more of the same, but with a bigger game area like San Andreas and a few little improvements here and there. I think Liberty City in IV is the perfect size for a city, any bigger and it'd get boring, but it's big enough to keep you going. So rural areas would be nice again.

I wouldn't mind seeing their take on London, I'm guessing it would be a lot better than the Getaway. They're going to have to set one of the games outside of America eventually. But San Diego/Mexican border would be cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Grand_Theft_Auto_Somalia.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

One based on Dublin:p

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

Ardee FTW :p

But seriously, with up to 80GB Blu ray storage, the sky is the limit. It's possible to create multiple cities. I think the new Liberty City, and a revised Vice City and San Andrreas all in one game would be awesome.

GTA IV is a turning point in the franchise which sees a more serious side to the game, so I think the next GTA should be a proper sequel, with Niko as the main character again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

aside from the unnamed city in 2 all the city's has been done in 3d except london and liberty twice in 3d, although new yokr is the best setting for this kinda game :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I would hate it to be London. I know they're two different franchise, but the Getaway, a decent enough game, made it clear to me that London as a sandbox city is pretty pants.

TBH, I think it hs to be somewher in the U.S. because of the whole pop-culture/comedy slant to GTA games.

I wouldn't mine them continuing with the Niko character and have him head south to Vice City, or West to San An.

Failing those two choices, a GTA Texas would be kinda cool. Houston and Dallas are pretty bug urban citys, but you also have all unique elements that a state like Texas brings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

One word: Yakuza

Either set in an American city with a Japanese immigrant trying to make his way or even better set in Tokyo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Grand Theft Auto Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

I reckon itd be cool if the next game was like world of warcraft or city of heroes totally online with missions based on teams. Like the Free play mode now except with structure. They would need a map around double the size of SA.

Based in Japan mite not be bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Grand Theft Auto Burma.......... too soon? :confused::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

RAIN wrote: »
    I reckon itd be cool if the next game was like world of warcraft or city of heroes totally online with missions based on teams. Like the Free play mode now except with structure. They would need a map around double the size of SA.
    I haven't played IV, but I had always assumed they were working towards a map based on the entire USA. Clearly it would be huge, but if the game was styled in MMORPG, then that's not a problem. It would also ensure that the map doesn't just become this farcical bloodbath when 10,000 people are on it. Imagine it taking 2 or 3 days real-time to drive from one edge of the map to the other.

RAIN wrote: »

Based in Japan mite not be bad.

Boring!!!!:confused:

Why would anyone want them to change it to be like other games that were'nt anywhere near as popular. The online in this game alone is better then the games you metioned IMO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Go back to the 80s..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Every game so far has started out, with your character as a nobody, working his way to the top.

Would be nice, if it was changed in a future game. Like you start out as a mob boss, but your turned against, by your right hand man, who tries to kill you and usurp you.
    You escape, but he thinks he succeeded.
    The game would then be about trying to regain your position. Initially laying low, trying to gather a group of people to help you.

Bit of a cliched story, but would be interesting for GTA.

I'd also love to see a ski resort in some future version of the game, where you could ski, ride snowmobiles, and parachute off cliffs, like James Bond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

How about Niko going back to Russia? A game set in Moscow would be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Some great ideas here. I like the San Diego/Mexico idea, border jumping would be a bit of a laugh. Russia is also a great idea.

I would be happy if they improved aspects of the gameplay. The controls while useable are slow and there are other 3rd person shooters with much better controls, crackdown I feel had a better combat system for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

GTA 2142

Lego GTA

GTA: Blue Shift (the story following a cop in one of the allready existing eras)

Edit- There is still loads they could do on the existing game that could enhance it a lot.
    I'd like to see a good few more cars and the respawning system reworked.
    Its still like the old GTA games...
    For example on what I'm talking about... the other day I was in a Patriot(hummer) and went onto a street where parked cars normally are... instead they were all parked patriots.. I counted 14 including myself, on that street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

A japanese immigrant in the San Francisco Bay area would be interesting, Moscow would also be very cool, lots of possibilities there.

I'd say it will stay in the US though.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭mrpants

i would love san andreas or vice city, i miss the planes in SA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

60s or 70s perhaps? 80s was the best so far so why not try out another decade.

I think that the safe option is always to base it in America and to be honest that is highly unlikely to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

60's - Marine about to ship off to Nam for a second tour decides he isnt going back there, maaaan. He joins a Hippy trail on a pilgrimage to some concert in Upstate Liberty City. (Timberstock). There he realises what he wants to do with his life. He wants to be a Criminal and has to be because he is on the run from the MP's. Starts Low and Moves up the Ladder as always making friends along the way and Making more enemys. Fial showdown is against the MP's who are tracking him down with a choice to Bribe them or Kill them.

Character - I want his hair to be able to grow naturally. His clothes should be able to get dirty and only get cleaned after he changes outfit and saves the game. Hippy type with Bad memories and PTSD. Have the M16 not the M4. and the M14 not some Hi-tech sniper rifle. M1911 not a DEagle. I want it accurate and fun. I want the ability to buy a new Identity and Cops to be constantly looking for you when you are wanted but not actively pursueing you. (Like the Infractions system in NFSMW.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

they should move it around a bit, theres loads they could do.

I like the London idea and they could do a similar foreigner trying to take over style idea. could use plenty of references from things like Lock Stock, Snatch, Green Street, even something like Eastenders would help. plenty of landmarks to use like Big Ben, Buckingham Palace etc etc. could use the london cabs or the london underground. Rockstar North are from Edinburgh so research wouldnt be a problem.

tokyo would suck and has no chance of happening. its too far from the Western ideas and culture. id be rather disappointed if rockstar do vice city or san andreas AGAIN. give us something even a little new. i like the Mexico border idea too. half away through the game, have a violent highway chase into Mexico. then ensure that you cant go back into the US until you beat the game.

I like Nam idea. Or maybe a serpico esc undercover cop type thing.....late 70s.(the music would rock)

Maybe even play through the game going from nam vet to ganster and have a zodiac style killer running through the story. . Big dirty 70 moustache on ya ! it would also play off the end of the Iraq war if it comes out at the end.They could draw parallels between iraq and Nam vets....ok now im just rambling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

A GTA set in the future would be sweet. Maybe 100 years into the future and make it dystopian like Blade Runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

i think back to the 20's 30s would be a bad move, mafia was shocking, I know rockstar would have a completly different take on it but still, I think back to san andreas. GTA IV is quality but I miss the open areas a bit

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=137422

Looks like i mite not be miles off with my online idea !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

GTA - Cavan?!?! They could call it "Breffni County" or something like that? It would be a man from the peaceful town of Shercock, finding himself in the Drug driven Kingscourt moving onto the Bailieboro Island and its numorous estates, then Cavan "Breffni City" to go to the top!

No... that won't work.

In seriousness, they'll do another lap of the usual trio and they'll deside what's suitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Gta Dublin all the way!

I'd like in the next one for you to play as a cop too, a really corrupt cop.

Would work perfect in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

they should get one where u can choose to work for any one of the previous protagonists and each one has its own consquences.

Tommy Vercetti as the vice city 'Don'.

Carl Johnson still running things in los santos

Nico controlling the rising russian mob in Liberty City.

They could have a section of each city (the parts with all the lights :D) and the main city where the war between the 3 gangs is Las Venturas (with interactive hotels)

how cool would that be ...phew :p

Advertisement