Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of Buying in Tyrellstown. Advice Please

Options
  • 07-05-2008 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

HI Ive gotten approved for a mortgage and see there are a lot of houses for sale in Tyrellstown. The seem to be very resonable in price.

Can anyone tell me is it an ok area is there any trouble.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭westcoast66

My advice is simple.

Don't buy now.

There is a very high possibility that your house will be worth circa 10% less in 12 months time. Nearly all current economic indicators are pointing this way.

AND if you get a high LTV mortgage, you will be in negative equity.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Don't buy in tyrellstown. traffic is crap coming out of it at peak times and it has a ghetto feel about it. Feck all up there for such a dense population. just my opinion tho ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

Gonna have to agree and I'm from Dublin 15. Its in the middle of nowhere literally with poor public transport. Train is too far away and its relies on dedicated bus service.

Its surrounded by heavy industry industrial estates and business parks, place is deserted in the evenings.

Prices have fallen alot there and will continue to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Personally I'd be very very hesitant.

The residents in Tyrellstown have set up a very decent website where they are discussing the development and the numerous problems and issues that are either ongoing or have been encountered. Its here. Be very very careful.

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

Ger1980, I think perhaps you are approaching house buying in the wrong way. Don't look for an area you can afford and then check if it is a nice area or not. The best thing to do is pick areas you want to live in and then see if you can afford to buy there. If you cannot then consider renting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The best thing you can do is spend time up there in the evenings and at the weekends if you can and get a feel for the place.
    It will make your decision a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I lived in Tyrrelstown when it was first built - I was a first time buyer and it was good to get on the property ladder. I didn't like it. The house I lived in was so badly insulated, heard the neighbours all the time. Also I personally dislike the allocation of parking spaces - in our case, it just didn't work. I moved out after 2 years.
    I know a lot has changed since then with superquinn, shops hotel etc.. but I woudn't recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭TFP

I am nearly three years in Tyrrelstown and so far I couldn't be happier. It's not too far from where I am from originally and I have met alot of new friends in the area.

As for the Ghetto comments etc, you obviously don't really know what you are talking about. There is nothing like that out there, it has the same amount of anti-social behavour as any other similar town and nothing serious to be worried about.

There are plenty of facilities in the area with regards to shops, pubs, resturants, playgrounds, football pitch (with planning for an all weather pitch). Two schools in the pipeline for 2009 with associated community facilities.

The local Soccer team seem to have generated quite a good social scene around the area, with a number of senior and schoolboy teams. I believe there is a GAA club being developed aswell.

I have a fairly active dog and the surrounding farms and 'countryside' offer ample recreation for him aswell.

The community website, highlights issues and allows people to interact much better than most new estates. However as with all public forums people many people will use them just for a rant and negative feedback, alot of the good stuff won't get mentioned.

The estate in generally is quite tidy for it's size and has plenty of open spaces, carparking allocation is no different to anywhere else, two per unit with a good few visitor spots (fortunatly I have a two car drive way).

I don't know where the comments about traffic come from, I commute to sandyford daily and have no problems what so ever.

With regards to the quality of house building, there was a number of constuction companies contracted to build different sections of the estate and some were better built than others, so far I have no complaints about my house.

To the OP try and find anyone you know who lives out there or even pop out for an evening, talk a walk around the horsehoe (main road though the estate), pop in the pub or one of the restuarant for a bite to eat and get a feel for the place .. it will give you a better idea as what the area is like rather than listening to third hand comments from people who don't have any first hand experience of the area on an internet board.

Feel free to PM with any direct questions you may have

Tyrrelstown won't be my home for ever, I fully intend to get as far away from dublin as possible, but at the moment I am more than happy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

@ ger1980. Just one other thing to remember is that there is a management company up in Tyrrelstown. I dont think the charges are too high for people who live in houses though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭TFP

gazzer wrote: »
    @ ger1980. Just one other thing to remember is that there is a management company up in Tyrrelstown. I dont think the charges are too high for people who live in houses though.

for a 3bed semi it's about €170 per year, just got the bill yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I know a total of 5 people living in Tyrellstown, all decent folk, local and foreign alike :)

I have to say that despite any negativity that can happen in a downturn, the place ain't bad after all.

Take out fighting for your parking space aspect like other developments, extortionate mgt fees for 3bed apts i know of(around 1,300..not houses as TFP explains), there is a good feel to it.
    That pub(Cruisers) and the Lidl especially are quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

jcsmum wrote: »
    I lived in Tyrrelstown when it was first built - I was a first time buyer and it was good to get on the property ladder. I didn't like it. The house I lived in was so badly insulated, heard the neighbours all the time. Also I personally dislike the allocation of parking spaces - in our case, it just didn't work. I moved out after 2 years.
    I know a lot has changed since then with superquinn, shops hotel etc.. but I woudn't recommend it.

where did you move to and the reason you moved..were they fulfilled thereafter?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Living in Tyrrelstown at the moment and have been for the last 3 years. We're looking at moving but thats solely down to the fact that my OH is working in Sandyford so its a bit of a commute everyday and I'm working in UCD, which isn't much better from that point of view.

There are a few points to note about the area:

1. There are 2 different developments in Tyrrelstown. Its all one big estate, but there were 2 developers on site so both halves of the estate are quite different. I think personally that the half furthest from Blanch/Mulhuddart is the nicest. Go up and have a drive around and you'll see what I mean.

2. The area itself is quite quiet. There is a bit of hassle now and then, but nothing I haven't seen elsewhere, and given the size of the estate you expect the odd few bits. The town centre is very handy for a lot of things, but you'll probably still find yourself heading to Tescos or Dunnes for your regular shop.

3. Public transport isn't as bad as people make it out. True you're a bit away from the train, but the 40D leaves every 15-20 mins at rush hour and gets into town in 45 mins, which isn't bad. You also have the 38C, but at rush hour that can be a good 20 mins slower than the 40D getting into town. Its only really useful if you're headed for Blanch village. The only time the buses are rubbish is the nite links. The 39N goes out there but goes via nearly all of West Dublin in the process. It takes an age!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Try to buy within three miles of where you work. And look for areas that are currently priced a bit below a nearby wealthy area.

For instance, look at the *current* prices of similar houses in Harold's Cross and Rathgar (areas separated by the Harold's Cross Road, but on basically the same bus routes, near the same posh schools, leafy, close to town, etc).

You can check prices here - and whether they're dropping or rising: http://www.irishpropertywatch.com/

A lot of people don't factor in getting to work when they buy a place, and end up spending €100 or €200 a week on petrol or train fares. From where I live, I used to cycle to O'Connell Street in 15 minutes.

These areas are also the ones where prices rise sharply when things get a little tight, because other people see the difference and grab the slightly cheaper houses, causing a kind of microclimate of upturn!

Advertisement