Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance, 125cc's

• 07-05-2008 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Ive been driving a 50cc moped now for about 1 and a half years but am seriously considering moving up to a 125cc (Yamaha Virago being the favourite at the moment).

I went to the online AON quotes there and it was something like 3k for a year (third party)! Is this still the only company that will insure u25's? I appericiate I am in the high risk category and am currently paying 1250 for my second year insurance on the moped.

Is this some kind of mistake?

I am a ...

Male
    20 years old
    Dublin14
    1 year no claims
    Provisional (2+ years)

I'd really love to move up to a 125 but that quote is prohivitably expensive!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Just for giggles, see how much the quote is for a 21 yo - people become amazingly sensible once they hit 21 and the insurance falls dramatically to reflect this. :confused:
    It might be a case of waiting a few months for a reasonable, well more affordable quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

a_ominous wrote: »
    Just for giggles, see how much the quote is for a 21 yo - people become amazingly sensible once they hit 21 and the insurance falls dramatically to reflect this. :confused:
    It might be a case of waiting a few months for a reasonable, well more affordable quote.

knocked about 400 off and if i do the private points test it could knock off another 300... Im not 21 til next april though!! might just bite the bullet for this years insurance!

Are 2nd hand 125 viragos hard to get hold of?

just got a quote with quinn direct there and it was only €1000 - some reduction!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

In a similar position myself, just turned 22, looking to get my first bike, around 125cc, only experience up until now is in a car. Made a few calls this morning, Carole Nash wont touch me without 3 years experience, Aon gave me ridiculous prices (4800 fully comp on nsr 125) and Quinn gave me OK prices, slightly better if I do their rider test thing.

yeh quinn seem to be quite reasonable. Although can you transfer no claims bonuses from one company to another?

If so id say ill probably buy a 125 in the next two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

yeh quinn seem to be quite reasonable. Although can you transfer no claims bonuses from one company to another?

If so id say ill probably buy a 125 in the next two weeks.

most definitely

existing insurer will probably ask ye why you're cancelling/asking for an NCB cert, and when you tell em, they'll probably match the quote...

...probably..

would it be worth telling them that quinn insured me for €700 then???

or is that just pushing my luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WiDGe->

Aon are a disgrace. Im 22 with 4 years no claims, full license with grade 3 skills asessment and their renewal quote was 480 on a varadero. Quinn then quoted me 300.

so i rang aon up to see what the story was and how their quote was over 50 % higher then quinns. they said thats the best they could do (with some cheek i might add).

so then i asked what the story was with NCB cert and she said it would take a week to send out (wtf??). the operator was a complete c*nt in general to be honest. and as an aside, it took them 10 minutes to answer my call (it wasnt in a que it was just ringing out). at this rate they're gonna go out of business, and i for one wont miss them.

god bless sean dunne! a proper businessman by the sounds of things.. keeps customers happy!

Advertisement