Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Procedure on test day

Options
  • 07-05-2008 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hi!
    I'm coming up to my test but am still unclear as to what you get asked before you take to the road on the test day! :confused:
    I know you get asked about whats under the bonnet, technical checks and to recognise signs. But what is the exact procedure? Do they point at something and ask you what it is? Do they hold a sign up to you and ask you to name it? How long do they spend on these checks before they take you driving??
    Also in the driving part of the test if you make a mistake is it ok to say to the tester that you made the mistake and correct it?? so they know that you know you made an error!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Oh yeah, mines in two weeks, I need to know these things too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Firstly they sit you down at the desk and point out different road signs and ask you to explain/define them.

Then they ask you some general questions like speed limits, when to use dipped headlights etc.

After that they go out to your car, get you to pop the bonnet and ask you to point out where the water goes/coolant etc

They then get you to sit into the car and get you to demnatrate the lights etc to make sure they are all working.

They habve a check of tax/nct etc

Following on from that they sit in and ask you to demonstrate wipers/deminsters/fog lights etc

And then its drive out of the centre and on with the road test.

Thats the way mine was anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Saint_Mel some good reading there, thank you .... i just have 1question: what is/are diminsters :confused: probably something i already know but knowing me i call it another name :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Saint_Mel some good reading there, thank you .... i just have 1question: what is/are diminsters :confused: probably something i already know but knowing me i call it another name :D

The thingymabobs that clear mist off your front/rear windows (air blowers on front / button to activate it on rear window .... )

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

elviscostello (some good music) and good advice ... :D indeed it was those thingymabobs :D cheers for clearing that up for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 LDriver

kerry4sam wrote: »
    ndeed it was those thingymabobs
    Or it could be a whatchyamaycallit

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fifomania wrote: »
    Do they point at something and ask you what it is? Do they hold a sign up to you and ask you to name it?
    They usually have a few examples of road signs on laminated A4 sheets.

They usually have a few examples of roads on laminated A4 sheets.

So you can say, "yes, that is infact a road" :D

BJC wrote: »
    So you can say, "yes, that is infact a road" :D
    Why did you mis-quote me BJC? If you take another look at post #8 you will see that I said "road signs" not "roads" (and the post hasn't been edited). :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Why did you mis-quote me BJC? If you take another look at post #8 you will see that I said "road signs" not "roads" (and the post hasn't been edited). :confused:

for the comedic value.. and I enjoyed it!! :D

• Advertisement

ShayK1 wrote: »
    for the comedic value.. and I enjoyed it!! :D
    But to edit someone's post in a quote and then attribute the edited version to the poster makes no sense regardless of the comedic value!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

So do these things take long? i mean answering questions about under the bonnet and the signs? I think I'd prefer to just get in the car & get the driving bit done first!! :o
    Also in the Rules of the Road book (which I am devouring at the min! :p) do you learn the stuff that is strictly in relation to a car or could you be asked on other stuff like tractors, pedestrians, child restraints, cyclists etc??

So do these things take long? i mean answering questions about under the bonnet and the signs?
    I'm not sure about the external car check as I did the B test long before they came in. The signs and other questions usually only take a couple of minutes.
    fifomania wrote:
    Also in the Rules of the Road book (which I am devouring at the min! :p) do you learn the stuff that is strictly in relation to a car or could you be asked on other stuff like tractors, pedestrians, child restraints, cyclists etc??
    They are usually very general questions such as when to use dipped headlights, when one may overtake on the left, what is a clearway, where is it illegal to park etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The external car check took only a couple of minutes, nothing to worry about really. Just check things over before you head for your test and you'll be grand!

Thanks all for the priceless help and advice!
    I hate to sound totally clueless but the technical checks & rules of the road questions are what's making me nervous about the test! stupid i know :cool: :o think I'd feel more at ease if I actually had a user manual for my car! :p

I apologise, it was all meant in good humour. I put the edited word in bold so as to make sure no-one actually thought you made that mistake. Lighten up:)

BJC wrote: »
    I apologise, it was all meant in good humour. I put the edited word in bold so as to make sure no-one actually thought you made that mistake. Lighten up:)
    OK, I'm enlightened! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Thanks all for the priceless help and advice!
    I hate to sound totally clueless but the technical checks & rules of the road questions are what's making me nervous about the test! stupid i know :cool: :o think I'd feel more at ease if I actually had a user manual for my car! :p

No worries, they aren't going to ask you how you would replace a fuel injector. Just make sure you know what fluid goes in each reservor. They can also ask you how to check the levels of each fluid.

They will also check that all your lights work before they sit in. Make sure your bulbs are OK and that you know how to work them!

Does anyone know if on the test day when you pull in to the test centre and reverse in to your parking place do you have to reverse in one go or is it ok to miss the parking space and have to pull out to reverse in again??

Does anyone know if on the test day when you pull in to the test centre and reverse in to your parking place do you have to reverse in one go or is it ok to miss the parking space and have to pull out to reverse in again??
    Your test doesn't begin until you meet the tester so whatever way you park when you arrive is irrelevant.

When you return from the road test just pull in forward into the space.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

At this time you cannot fail your test for not knowing the rules and checks.

If you are faulted on these you get the fault before you drive. It is not the first fault which fails you it the LAST. Concentrate on how to drive correctly.

http://www.drivingtesttips.ie

Advertisement