Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online is just plain bad..

• 07-05-2008 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭

I must open and say the single player game is the best single player game I have ever played I think. [beating HL2 - which at the time really blew me away].

I was really hoping to get some brilliant fun out of XBox live as I have been playing COD4 with work people and mates from the UK off and on since its release.

I have to say that I think the GTA4 online play is terrible. Its badly thought out, a lot of modes are pointless. Its really far too hard to get a proper ranked game going with your mates etc etc

My experience of GTA4 online can be summed up as running around an empty city looking for Guns/Cars or more important another human player. That is broken! They should have small maps/medium maps etc - not bloody huge maps and 3 people on them! So you never see another human! Thats just crap.

One of my mates played TeamDM last night, on the smallest possible map. They were playing for 10 mins. He got killed twice and had 2 kills. Spent the whole time looking for people!

*yawn*

Almost every review gave the game 10/10 saying single player was amazing and online was great fun. This is incorrect, online is not great fun. I think its basically broken. Even if you still give the game top marks, they should have mentioned the online issues and not just looked at it with rose tinted glasses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

I must open and say the single player game is the best single player game I have ever played I think. [beating HL2 - which at the time really blew me away].

I was really hoping to get some brilliant fun out of XBox live as I have been playing COD4 with work people and mates from the UK off and on since its release.

I have to say that I think the GTA4 online play is terrible. Its badly thought out, a lot of modes are pointless. Its really far too hard to get a proper ranked game going with your mates etc etc

My experience of GTA4 online can be summed up as running around an empty city looking for Guns/Cars or more important another human player. That is broken! They should have small maps/medium maps etc - not bloody huge maps and 3 people on them! So you never see another human! Thats just crap.

One of my mates played TeamDM last night, on the smallest possible map. They were playing for 10 mins. He got killed twice and had 2 kills. Spent the whole time looking for people!

*yawn*

Almost every review gave the game 10/10 saying single player was amazing and online was great fun. This is incorrect, online is not great fun. I think its basically broken. Even if you still give the game top marks, they should have mentioned the online issues and not just looked at it with rose tinted glasses.

It's really up to the host to set the game up properly. A lot of the options should be set using common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

Have to say I'm loving the multi-player, Cops and Crooks is the best fun I've had in ages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Turn on blips, set the traffic to high/medium and set respawn to close. All your complaints can be fixed by setting up the game right
    Someone else opinion isn't wrong because you disagree with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

Once the host sets up game properly its great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Its brill infact the only flaw i found is that when you die you spawn to close to the person who just killed you.

Cops and Crooks and deathmatch are the only games iv played , the rest of the time its free play with a group of mates - best craic iv had in ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I played a game with 4 people on Bohan, just regular deathmatch. had an absolute blast. Next we did a street race, which was good fun. Was hopin' for cops and crooks after but needed more people as one lad dropped out.

Very good multiplayer for me. As mentioned above, it depends on the setup. A couple of people on a huge map isn't GTA's fault.

EDIT: Another complaint that people hurl at the game but is in fact a setup option. You can choose to have people to spawn near, medium or far away from other players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

I have to ageee OP.,it is terrible online. Waiting for host to set-up and confrim is awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Free mode with a good couple of friends is the best way to play.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,523 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Vaggabond - as everyone else here said:

Its about your settings.

- Turn on traffic to medium/high
    - Change respawn points to further away
    - Specify what guns you want (Rocket Launchers all the way) :)
    - Specify the map you want (With smaller groups, do smaller maps - Happiness Island, The Docks or Bohan).
    - Admittedly I haven't tried all modes, but the ones I have done (Deathmatch, Races, Cops n' Crooks) are all great fun.
    - Don't play against laggy Americans! Join an Irish game for a much smoother experience. Add me (HeyHeyAces) as a friend, and I'll send an invite the next time there is a Boards game (probably tonight) :)

Online with GTA4 is not perfect. You can (and probably will) suddenly lose connection to a game and get dumped to single player. Frustrating.

When it works, it works REALLY well.

Advertisement