Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bringing a car back from the UK

Options
  • 07-05-2008 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭

Buying a car in the UK from a main dealer - dealer asks me do I want to tax it for 6 months or a year? I explained that I was literally driving straight to the ferry (5hr drive) but he thought I should still tax it? Is there some mad law in the UK to do with untaxed vehicles??? It seems a bit crazy to tax it for 6 months when I'll be on UK roads less than a day!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Buying a car in the UK from a main dealer - dealer asks me do I want to tax it for 6 months or a year? I explained that I was literally driving straight to the ferry (5hr drive) but he thought I should still tax it? Is there some mad law in the UK to do with untaxed vehicles??? It seems a bit crazy to tax it for 6 months when I'll be on UK roads less than a day!
    It's illegal to drive an untaxed car here in Ireland anyways, presume UK is the same. Though there's normally a lee-way regarding just bought cars. Maybe grab some temp Irish plates from Customs before leaving the country if you know chassis no. and VIN. Not sure if it can be done but worth a phonecall if it circumvents your issue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

just tell them you will sign a waiver that you are not taxing it as it will be leaving the country that day.

thats what i done when i bought my avensis.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

What could happen if you're stopped in the UK? I think someone said on another thread (about cargiant) that people have been stopped pretty much right outside of place just after buying it.

Is there any motor tax rebate available in the UK for exported vehicles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Afaik you get a rebate for the unused months on the tax. You do when you sell it and return the disc, I can't think why it would be any different if it was being exported.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I think it would be a good idea to have tax driving the car to the ferry. You will get fined for no tax even you explain you are taking it out of the country. Then again I brought mine back all the way from Kent with no tax & was lucky not to be stopped. The customs guy in Fishguard commented on it though.
    You could always put in for the rebate after, or just take the chance & pay the fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

I think it would be a good idea to have tax driving the car to the ferry. You will get fined for no tax even you explain you are taking it out of the country. Then again I brought mine back all the way from Kent with no tax & was lucky not to be stopped. The customs guy in Fishguard commented on it though.
    You could always put in for the rebate after, or just take the chance & pay the fine.

They can hardly chase me to Ireland for the fine though. I reckon I'll just chance it.

To be honest I was not even thinking about UK road tax when I was bringing mine back. Genuinely didn't realise it would be an issue until I hit Fishguard. Since then I have read on boards that people have been fined.

Thanks for the replies - I mainly just wanted to know that the car wouldn't be taken off me before I got on the ferry!

Thanks for the replies - I mainly just wanted to know that the car wouldn't be taken off me before I got on the ferry!

I'd confirm for sure that's not the case. For all you know people getting fines could have been let off lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dts1

Wasn't asked that when I purchased.
    Anyone in the boat of bringing a car in and the VRT coming down 10% by July 1st on the "new" car ?
    My c02 emissions come from 30% down to 20% so saving of about €1,800.
    Wots the fine is caught ? Does it depend on the Garda that catches ya ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The car can be taken off you, they have all un taxed cars on a data base and if you drive past any Police car or ANPR station you will be flagged and stopped for no tax. They can crush your car also, but thats worst case.

Why not get 6 months tax off the dealer and reclaim it?

dts1 wrote: »
    Wasn't asked that when I purchased.
    Anyone in the boat of bringing a car in and the VRT coming down 10% by July 1st on the "new" car ?
    My c02 emissions come from 30% down to 20% so saving of about €1,800.
    Wots the fine is caught ? Does it depend on the Garda that catches ya ?

The question is what happens in the UK if not taxed over there on the way back to the ferry, not what happens over here.

Del2005 wrote: »
    The car can be taken off you, they have all un taxed cars on a data base and if you drive past any Police car or ANPR station you will be flagged and stopped for no tax. They can crush your car also, but thats worst case.

Why not get 6 months tax off the dealer and reclaim it?

How do I go about reclaiming it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

How do I go about reclaiming it?
    Check out www.dvla.gov.uk I am sure they will tell you how. You will be able to get a refund of 5 months, they don't do partial month refunds.

And as someone pointed out, they can and will take the car off you. They carry out ANPR sting operations, very impressive to watch. They will take a long section of road with no turn offs and have an ANPR van at each end. Then they will have 20 odd plod in a lay by in the middle and a bunch of car transporters near by.. If you are of questionable tax or insurance status the van will alert the lads doing the stopping. You will be stopped and asked to get out of the vehicle. You will be given an opportunity to prove they are mistaken. If you are unable to do this in a timely manner you car will be driven onto one of the transporters and you are left standing. Very impressive to watch.

On a much smaller scale, an increasing number of police cars have ANPR cameras, and they are popping up on road all the time. There is a good chance you could get stopped, and if it is the wrong copper, they will take the car. Not worth the risk.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Quick question on this topic guys (I didn't want to start a new thread).

My brother is bringing a 7-month old BMW 520D M Sport (772 miles) back in next week and I mentioned to him that he should make sure to get it checked over by AA (is that correct?) and also make sure he gets a HPI cert? Am I right here?

Anyway, he's fwded me on a .pdf file which he received from the dealer in question today which seems to be the required HPI cert. I have the form in front of me and the following information is listed -

Chassis, Registration, Model, Owened By, Mileage, Date of check, and Dealer Stamp

Is this a valid HPI cert?

Is there anything else (besides organising short-term tax cover through the dealer) that we need to be mindful of?

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dts1

madds wrote: »

My brother is bringing a 7-month old BMW 520D M Sport (772 miles) back in next week and I mentioned to him that he should make sure to get it checked over by AA (is that correct?) and also make sure he gets a HPI cert? Am I right here?

Anyway, he's fwded me on a .pdf file which he received from the dealer in question today which seems to be the required HPI cert. I have the form in front of me and the following information is listed -

Chassis, Registration, Model, Owened By, Mileage, Date of check, and Dealer Stamp

Is there anything else (besides organising short-term tax cover through the dealer) that we need to be mindful of?

Thanks all.

Defo go ahead with the AA check. They do a very thorough job. They do a vehicle inspection and data check on the car. Costs about €240 but well worth it for peace of mind. Engineer rings you too to tell you about the car as well as e-mailing you a detailed 6 page report

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Thanks all.
    Did he buy it from a BMW dealer? If so they will do a full check, including HPI and give it 12 months warranty.

MrP

He bought it from this crowd - http://www.knightssouthstaffsbmw.co.uk/

who advertise themselves as being an authorised BMW dealer.

Looks like an authorised BMW dealer to me.

Thanks all.

Do you realise that he'll have to pay VAT here again. The car has to be over 6 months and 6000km.

• Advertisement

Do you realise that he'll have to pay VAT here again. The car has to be over 6 months and 6000km.

I thought it was one or the other - over 6 months old or more than 6000km on the clock, not both?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

I thought it was one or the other - over 6 months old or more than 6000km on the clock, not both?

correct.
    6 Months or 6,000KM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

GavMan wrote: »
    correct.
    6 Months or 6,000KM

Pretty sure its both, and not or, see definition of 'new car' below, so an old car is one older than six months and more than 6000km.

http://ec.europa.eu/ireland/general_information/key_issues/tax/index_en.htm

‘New’ cars (i.e. vehicles of under six months old or with less than 6 000 km on the clock) bought in another Member State are subject to VAT in the Member State of destination, which is, in principle, your country of residence and the country where you are going to register the motor vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Nope. Definitely liable for VAT if it EITHER under 6 months old or less than 6000km on the clock. I reckon your brother will have to take the scenic route to his local VRO!

We checked it out this evening and we're agreed that it's a non-runner now. The dealer mentioned in one of my earlier posts is going to source one that meets the >6k & >6,000km rule.

Thanks for your feedback folks.

Could see our first case of a car being clocked to show more mileage!

Can anyone tell me if I need a UK insurance policy to get UK tax on the car or will my Irish policy do?

eoin_s wrote: »
    Could see our first case of a car being clocked to show more mileage!

It won't be the 1st or last time it has happened. Alot of people on expenses used to miss read their odmeters and when time to return came they needed a little bit of correction in the milage to keep the taxman happy.

Also wasn't a "car dealer" done for this recently?

It won't be the 1st or last time it has happened. Alot of people on expenses used to miss read their odmeters and when time to return came they needed a little bit of correction in the milage to keep the taxman happy.

Also wasn't a "car dealer" done for this recently?

That makes perfect sense actually, I guess I was just thinking about it from the buying and selling point of view.

Was a dealer done for putting on extra mileage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

cbyrne wrote: »
    Pretty sure its both, and not or, see definition of 'new car' below, so an old car is one older than six months and more than 6000km.

http://ec.europa.eu/ireland/general_information/key_issues/tax/index_en.htm

‘New’ cars (i.e. vehicles of under six months old or with less than 6 000 km on the clock) bought in another Member State are subject to VAT in the Member State of destination, which is, in principle, your country of residence and the country where you are going to register the motor vehicle.

How could it be both? Did you read what you just posted?
    I'll bold it for you...

Advertisement