Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bringing a car back from the UK

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hot4teacher

Getting back to the original thread..
    I just bought over a car from the UK from a dealer and he showed me in black and white that he is not allowed to let a car leave the forecourt without tax.
    I paid for 6 months UK road tax, using my own insurance I got my company to fax over, and now I can get a refund on 5 months of the tax.
    I've paid my VRT but am out of the counrty now so will get plates made up and Irish road tax when I get back, then inform my insurance of the new registration number.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

eoin_s wrote: »
    That makes perfect sense actually, I guess I was just thinking about it from the buying and selling point of view.

Was a dealer done for putting on extra mileage?

The dealer got done for avoiding Tax not adding milage, it's not illeagel to clock a car only to sell it clocked without informing the buyer (I think). AFAIK they where bringing in high value cars so a lot of VAT was avoided.
    GavMan wrote: »
    How could it be both? Did you read what you just posted?
    I'll bold it for you...

The car is under 6 months old, you pay VAT. The car has less then 6,000km you pay VAT. It's not a one or the other, it's both. You could have a 10 year old car, but once it has less the 6,000km the revenue class it as new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Tell him to take the long way home!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Getting back to the original thread..
    I just bought over a car from the UK from a dealer and he showed me in black and white that he is not allowed to let a car leave the forecourt without tax.
    I paid for 6 months UK road tax, using my own insurance I got my company to fax over, and now I can get a refund on 5 months of the tax.
    I've paid my VRT but am out of the counrty now so will get plates made up and Irish road tax when I get back, then inform my insurance of the new registration number.

Just got a mail back from the DVLA confirming that they can only Tax a car if you have a UK insurance policy. since i don't, it doesn't apply to me. I'll bring the email with me in case i'm stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

If stopped, be polite, and explain that you are driving to the ferry with a car purchased that day, and make sure that you have proof of insurance*, photo ID and details of your ferry booking to hand - I doubt that many cops would take it further when presented with that scenario...

*Very important, they will definitely do you if you aren't insured to drive the car. They can't look you up on their UK database, so if you can't convince them with an insurance cert or other paperwork, it might get sticky...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

GavMan wrote: »
    How could it be both? Did you read what you just posted?
    I'll bold it for you...

I meant 'both' as in for an imported car not to be subject to VAT it needs to be both over six months old and over 6,000 KMS, my reference to the quote was the definition of a new car which is one which is under 6 months or 6,000km..

new = less than six months or six thousand km
    used or 'old' = more than six months and six thousand km

it was due to the way that the previous questions were phrased,
    I presumed your comment <correct. 6 Months or 6,000KM > to mean that is what defined an old car and I just said no, it needed to be both these conditions to be defined as an old car!

Anyway hairs and splitting... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

cbyrne wrote: »
    I meant 'both' as in for an imported car not to be subject to VAT it needs to be both over six months old and over 6,000 KMS, my reference to the quote was the definition of a new car which is one which is under 6 months or 6,000km..

new = less than six months or six thousand km
    used or 'old' = more than six months and six thousand km

it was due to the way that the previous questions were phrased,
    I presumed your comment <correct. 6 Months or 6,000KM > to mean that is what defined an old car and I just said no, it needed to be both these conditions to be defined as an old car!

Anyway hairs and splitting... :)

Looks like we got ourselves a bad case of wire crossing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

Think so! :D all these ands and ors.. very confusing logic sometimes..

Advertisement