Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

central vaccum system

• 07-05-2008 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

hi,
    was thinking of getting one of these installed for my new build. However just wondering if they are worth the expense. I hate lugging around a hoover but not sure if its worth the 2-3 k at the same time.

Any advise/comments from those who have one installed would be great. Also any recommendations on particular systems.

Cheers
    Sharon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

seen lots of them installed recently but dont see the point. if you've got a 2 storey house then buy 2 vacuums and store 1 downstairs and 1 in the hotpress on the first floor. The centralised system may look neat but you still have to haul a large hose around with you from room to room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Lynch32

I hear what your saying, however pulling the hoover around after you is painful, especially on the stairs itself. just one of my pet hates. think the large hose part would be much lighter/easier, although i've never seen a working system i must profess. The other main advantage is the suction, apparently its up to 5 times more poweful (although not sure how exaggerated this is).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

sounds like you can only resolve the cost / benefit dilemna yourself

clients of mine , who had it before always want it again

however , and you know how people can be funny , - i have heard many clients say they just did not like the idea of vacuum pipes buried in their walls and floors - "dirty" perception .

I don't share the view myself but one day what you own , you sell .

We have a system. There are only a couple of issues to consider, one is that the hose is long and bulky it can be a bit like wild snake training trying to put it away and pulling the hose through doorways into the rooms can scuff the door frames.

sinnerboy wrote: »
    however , and you know how people can be funny , - i have heard many clients say they just did not like the idea of vacuum pipes buried in their walls and floors - "dirty" perception .

What do they think of soil pipes!! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I feel its a waste of money. People have had issues with stuff getting blocked in them. The 2 hoover idea is a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

What do they think of soil pipes!! :confused:

be up s*** creek without them :D

seriously , the contents of hoover bags are more "to mind" . easier to visualise .... but in contrast ..... don't think i'll write anymore now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

dyson make the strongest vaccum cleaners, and if you look at them, there is no hose, just motor and head.

reason....
    air flow is turbulent in the hose causing a reduction in air flow and vacuum porportion to the length of the hose.

central vac systems overcome this by having powerful motors and the fixed pipework is smooth.

If you attached these lengths of pipework & hose to a standard hoover it would most likely struggle to have any decent suck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I dont get the point of them either. The hose is very large. They are more awkward to bring around with you.

For the money spent on a CVS you could have a cleaner come twice a week for a very long time. Let them lug about a hoover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Lynch32 wrote: »
    hi,
    was thinking of getting one of these installed for my new build. However just wondering if they are worth the expense. I hate lugging around a hoover but not sure if its worth the 2-3 k at the same time.

Any advise/comments from those who have one installed would be great. Also any recommendations on particular systems.

Cheers
    Sharon

Good old rip-off Ireland. Last time I was in Sweden the local hardware store had central vacuum kits for sale costing about €600. I haven't seen DIY kits for sale here, I'm surprised the likes of B&Q don't do them.

A quick google found this crowd in the UK who do kits for between £500 and £1100, it might be worth looking into further.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

The hose can be as long or short as you want. The more outlets you have the shorter the hose need to be. It is not any more awkward to bring around than a small vacume cleaner. The suction is MUCH stronger on a CVS than any other type of domestic hoover that I have come across, even the fabled Dyson (many of which do actually have hoses BTW). This means you do not spend as long hoovering. You only have to empty the dust collector about twice a year. Small dust particles are vented to the outside so you are not just moving dust around like you do with many badly filtered domestic hoovers. This is especially an advantage is you suffer from respiratory ailments like asthma or hayfeaver. They can be purchased for self installation for under €1,000. There are no bags or filters to replace, ever.

Just some of the advantages I have found by having one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Lynch32

thanks guys for all your comments. Not sure what to do now:confused:. I might look into getting a few quotes and see a demonstration. Its probably something i most definitely could live without though
    Cheers
    S

I put in a system myself - cost about €1100. (€1800 fitted), my initial thoughts were "don't need it!" missus saw, missus liked, missus wanted, missus got!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

I put in a system myself - cost about €1100. (€1800 fitted), my initial thoughts were "don't need it!" missus saw, missus liked, missus wanted, missus got!!

if she gets what she wants and wants what she likes, how did she end up with you instead of brad pitt? :p

okay i'm i going

mukki wrote: »
    if she gets what she wants and wants what she likes, how did she end up with you instead of brad pitt? :p

okay i'm i going
    He was on holiday ;)

Advertisement