Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a house in College Court

Options
  • 07-05-2008 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi.

A six bedroomed house is required in College Court for six wonderful girls.
    Is there anyone moving out of one, or knows of one that is available for next year?

Also how sucky is it that loads of Moyross people have been relocated to CC?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Very sucky but that started happening ~2 years ago and it appears the problem has just been moved from Moyross to Castletroy rather than cured in any manner :/

To answer your question no I don't know anyone moving out of a 6 bedroom house so your best bet would be to take a walk around there sometime soon and find a gaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

I dont know of any houses free, but I'll PM you with contact details for a landlord if thats any help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Your best bet is to walk around and look for posters in windows or just call to peoples doors. Thats what we did when we lived there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

I have the off-campus accomodation list from the accomodation office, only finalised today. PM if you want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Also how sucky is it that loads of Moyross people have been relocated to CC?

I resent this statement. 'Moyross people' are not a people against which prejudices can be held. Bad form.

• Advertisement

That is a bit tasteless, but is it a coincidence that crime has increased immensely since the moves?

I'm not saying that crime hasn't increased (and even at that I'd like statistical evidence to prove it), but it's harsh to brand all 'Moyross people' as prone to anti-social behaviour.

Tbh, it was an elitist comment made by the OP; something which is shameful considering she (I'm presuming) is supposedly the 'educated' part of society.

BD dont get me wrong, I am agreeing with you here.
    I have been living in CC for 3 years now, and the last semester crime has increased and everyone knows who and where its coming from...I'll leave it at that..

As for OP it was probably an off-the-cuff remark, and not intended to cause offence.

Mossin wrote: »
    BD dont get me wrong, I am agreeing with you here.
    I have been living in CC for 3 years now, and the last semester crime has increased and everyone knows who and where its coming from...I'll leave it at that..

As for OP it was probably an off-the-cuff remark, and not intended to cause offence.
    <Rant>

That's fair enough; I mean the reason that there has been relocation is because Moyross has been identified as a 'problem' area and so presumably some of the 'problem' will relocate also. It probably was an off the cuff remark (heck, it was even) it's branding everyone just because they're from a particular area. There are good, decent, honest 'Moyross people' who don't deserve the elitist torment they receive from 'educated' middle-class students.

</rant>

Ok I'm over it! :) And, OP, nothing against you...it just hits nerves when people make comments like that. I'll even offer you cookies to prove it! *passes cookies*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

<Rant>

That's fair enough; I mean the reason that there has been relocation is because Moyross has been identified as a 'problem' area and so presumably some of the 'problem' will relocate also. It probably was an off the cuff remark (heck, it was even) it's branding everyone just because they're from a particular area. There are good, decent, honest 'Moyross people' who don't deserve the elitist torment they receive from 'educated' middle-class students.

</rant>

Ok I'm over it! :) And, OP, nothing against you...it just hits nerves when people make comments like that. I'll even offer you cookies to prove it! *passes cookies*
    'Whats' 'with' 'the' 'single' 'quotes' '?'

• Advertisement

kaimera wrote: »

Ah I could so write a response to this but I soooo couldn't be feckin' arsed. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

People have been moved from Moyross to College Court??? Never heard of that.

Rang one place in college court (looking for a place for the Summer), and the landlord said that the house was in need of repair because they had a break-in and the people kicked all the doors down. Talk about painting a good picture. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Ah I could so write a response to this but I soooo couldn't be feckin' arsed.
    Dont EVER question BD on sentence structure or grammar, she will be right:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

cooperguy wrote: »
    Dont EVER question BD on sentence structure or grammar:D
    I was hoping for another, BossArky type 'incident' :pac:

To quote Pink, I'm not here for your entertainment. You don't really want to mess with me tonight because I'm up to my eyes in feckin' Pareto feckin' efficiency, goddamnit. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

Ok
    Fair enough
    Its a very thoughtless and allinclusive remark which most likely will offend.

Its all very well being PC about it here.
    But my friends have been broken into three times last semester.
    Another house has had two attempted break ins - both at weekends. There happened to be a lad in the house at the time so the would be assailant ran off.
    There's 6 of us girls living together - and if I had been in that house at the time on my own - I dont know if Id have been so lucky to have the thief run off.

Stereotyping I may be.
    But more cars have been broken into, houses robbed etc. this semester than ever Ive experienced in my three years in college.
    Coincidence I think not.

Yep, being PC is great.... until you come home and find your house robbed or your car broken into.

Not all of them cause trouble, fair enough, no one can argue that, but you'd be incredibly naive to think that crime going up is a co-incidence. Thats not stereotyping, its being realistic....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 kram_araman

Have to agree with braveheartgirl and Y2J. College court just aint the same as it used to be and they are right when they say that its no co-incidence about the crime.

Why do you want to live there next year if its so bad for break-ins etc? Would you not be better off moving to Milford Grange or somewhere like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Ok
    Fair enough
    Its a very thoughtless and allinclusive remark which most likely will offend.

Its all very well being PC about it here.
    But my friends have been broken into three times last semester.
    Another house has had two attempted break ins - both at weekends. There happened to be a lad in the house at the time so the would be assailant ran off.
    There's 6 of us girls living together - and if I had been in that house at the time on my own - I dont know if Id have been so lucky to have the thief run off.

Stereotyping I may be.
    But more cars have been broken into, houses robbed etc. this semester than ever Ive experienced in my three years in college.
    Coincidence I think not.

That's all fair enough but do you remember when you were in 1st year and there was a spate of break ins? I think they went on for quite well. Do you remember that the thieves ended up being a couple of students in UL?

Have you been along the Ballysimon road lately? Have you seen the amount of travelers there? My car got broken into a couple of weeks ago and the guards told me that there had been a spate of break ins recently and it was most likely these travelers as they break ins started as soon as they arrived. I'm not trying to stereotype, I'm just passing on what was said to me. It might not have been them at all.

So who's to say it isn't opportunist students committing all the break ins? Or the travelers? Or maybe all three; the students, the travelers and the people from Moyross. Either way, if I was asked to bet on it I'd say it wasn't just down to people from Moyross, it might not even have anything to do with them, and I wouldn't be so quick to stereotype. How would you like if I was a landlord and I said I wouldn't rent a house out to you and your friends cause you're all just drunken sluts? Sure you'd have to be, you're in college after all. You'd hit the roof. Don't stereotype if you wouldn't like the same treatment yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

ergonomics wrote: »
    That's all fair enough but do you remember when you were in 1st year and there was a spate of break ins? I think they went on for quite well. Do you remember that the thieves ended up being a couple of students in UL?

If I remember correctly I was in 3rd year when that happened and a house just up the road from where myself and a few of the others on here lived/still live was broken into by these goons. The people who did it turned out to be UL students and I think it was discussed on here at the time too. I know the point you are trying to make but I should hope that most student know not to **** where they eat if you'll excuse the expression. The particular people who did that drew the ire of most of the student population of UL upon them and I'd be willing to bet they are probably personae non gratae around UL.
    So who's to say it isn't opportunist students committing all the break ins? Or the travelers? Or maybe all three; the students, the travelers and the people from Moyross.

Nothing as there isn't any proof to show who has been commiting the break ins or at least none that I know of. Unfortunately it sometimes helps people (not everyone) to have some sort of scape goat to direct their anger toward to deal with a situation e.g. a burgalry be they travelers, Moyross people (some or all).

I don't think Braveheartgal intentionally made that comment to tar all Moyross people although it could be read that way. But in the end we're still back to the issue of the problem (antisocial behaviour, crime etc) being moved rather than dealt with.

• Advertisement

Don't stereotype if you wouldn't like the same treatment yourself.

Perhaps you should go tell those kind, friendly people who broke into your car that they shouldn't steal because they wouldn't like that treatment themselves. I'm sure they'd have a whole new perspective.

Stereotypes can be bad, but naivity is worse... give people a chance, but if they blow it, tough ****.

If crime has gone up in CC, is it coincidence that people from Moyross have moved there? Maybe. Common sense would say...probably not though.

*pushes escaped worms out of way to access keyboard* :pac:
    <rant> (and warning for Kai....=>) <single quotes>

To say that certain categories of people (whether they be Travellers, Moyrossians, black, atheist, pregnant women, students, or 68 year old men with one leg and a strange aroma about them) have made an area 'sucky' is discrimination; and blatant at that.

While it has become taboo, almost, to discriminate on grounds of race or ethnicity, it still seems acceptable to judge people based on their socio-economic status.

Yes, people from Moyross, relatively speaking are proportionately from lower-income backgrounds. And yes, there are studies to show that crime increases as poverty increases. (Try the Combat Poverty website - I'm sure there's empirical studies showing that on it.. cpa.ie)

But there exists within Irish culture an acceptance that it's ok to 'look down' on someone based on their social welfare receipts (in this case, predominantly - though not all - social housing) - partially to blame is our actual social welfare system itself which promotes inequality (disproportionate regressive taxation; inadequate basic provisions in areas such as health which necessitate private supplementation and thus care that's in any way adequate can only be gotten by those who can afford it; as two examples)

This is part of the problem in alleviating the crime/poverty index. These people are not in need of sympathy or handouts, but in need of real change to alleviate the inequalities that exist and reduce the margin between the wealthy and those at and beneath the poverty line. An overhaul of welfare provisions is one area for change. Positive reintegration, aka social inclusion, with other socio-economic strata is another. It's social exclusion (with implied increased unemployment and image of self-worth) that leads to crime. But how will it ever be possible to initiate social inclusion when they are continually branded as 'sucky', which in itself promotes exclusion? Vicious circle methinks...

</rant> </single quotes> *waits for ninty9er and his FF comeback*

*pushes escaped worms out of way to access keyboard* :pac:
    <rant> (and warning for Kai....=>) <single quotes>

To say that certain categories of people (whether they be Travellers, Moyrossians, black, atheist, pregnant women, students, or 68 year old men with one leg and a strange aroma about them) have made an area 'sucky' is discrimination; and blatant at that.

While it has become taboo, almost, to discriminate on grounds of race or ethnicity, it still seems acceptable to judge people based on their socio-economic status.

Yes, people from Moyross, relatively speaking are proportionately from lower-income backgrounds. And yes, there are studies to show that crime increases as poverty increases. (Try the Combat Poverty website - I'm sure there's empirical studies showing that on it.. cpa.ie)

But there exists within Irish culture an acceptance that it's ok to 'look down' on someone based on their social welfare receipts (in this case, predominantly - though not all - social housing) - partially to blame is our actual social welfare system itself which promotes inequality (disproportionate regressive taxation; inadequate basic provisions in areas such as health which necessitate private supplementation and thus care that's in any way adequate can only be gotten by those who can afford it; as two examples)

This is part of the problem in alleviating the crime/poverty index. These people are not in need of sympathy or handouts, but in need of real change to alleviate the inequalities that exist and reduce the margin between the wealthy and those at and beneath the poverty line. An overhaul of welfare provisions is one area for change. Positive reintegration, aka social inclusion, with other socio-economic strata is another. It's social exclusion (with implied increased unemployment and image of self-worth) that leads to crime. But how will it ever be possible to initiate social inclusion when they are continually branded as 'sucky', which in itself promotes exclusion? Vicious circle methinks...

</rant> </single quotes> *waits for ninty9er and his FF comeback*

This is all true. The problem is that, what do you do with people who'd rather steal than get a job? "Why work for something, when you can take it for free?"

Watched a program on tv3 a few months back...it was about trying to reintegrate people back into society. So they wanted some of the people involved in anti-social behaviour (to be PC) to plant a few flowers around the area for a few days, and they'd pay them. The lad turned around and said, "I'm a thief, you put the flowers near me, and I'ill f*ckin' rob them".

Reintegrate that. :p LOL

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    This is all true. The problem is that, what do you do with people who'd rather steal than get a job? "Why work for something, when you can take it for free?"

Watched a program on tv3 a few months back...it was about trying to reintegrate people back into society. So they wanted some of the people involved in anti-social behaviour (to be PC) to plant a few flowers around the area for a few days, and they'd pay them. The lad turned around and said, "I'm a thief, you put the flowers near me, and I'ill f*ckin' rob them".

Reintegrate that. :p LOL

That's the whole point of social inclusion: it includes people in society. Society doesn't value stealing/killing/arson etc., etc. so by definition social inclusion is about a change of mind that rejects these. It's about resetting how people from lower income backgrounds assess how society assesses them! For e.g. unemployment => low feeling of self-worth => lack of confidence in interview => still unemployed => lower feeling of self worth...vicious circle.

Social inclusion is about intervening at the point that is necessary to bring about change. So, unemployment => INTERVENE! Retraining programme, for example => upskilling => better feeling of self-worth => more confidence in interview =>employment.

Or in the case of Moyross: poor social conditions (housing, facilities, etc) => societal problems at large: unemployment, poverty, anti-social behaviour, etc => low feeling of self worth => worsening societal problems => spiralling downwards.

Fitzgerald report (although not without fault, but that's a rant for another day/thread! :p): INTERVENE! Regeneration programme to improve social conditions and issues such as criminality/drugs => decrease resulting social problems => increase feeling of self worth => decrease social problems => improvement.

It's a slow process, but you can't blame the people of Moyross for the neglect paid towards them with the resulting negative societal effects.

Nor can you brand them all with the same brush because some people are socially included whether it be by employment, education, community schemes etc... It's generally those who have been dealt the worst hand and are suffering the worst inequalities are those who are most excluded. Living on or below the poverty line is a sure way of toughening you up and making you think, f*ck the world because it has f*cked me.

And in this situation where you are relying on state handouts to ensure your survival, imagine coming to live in CC: surrounded by predominantly middle class students who can afford not only to live on better than basic provisions but can afford the luxury of going to third level education.

And all this in a society that rams inequality so much in their faces that it dares to call this third level education 'free'.

Yeah, when you're on or below the poverty line argue that after one chance they can go back to their slum. Yep, out of sight, out of mind seems to be a good characteristic of the Irish way of dealing with inequality all right.

I don't mean to be taking this out on you or making this personal at all! I just feel really strongly about (a) social inclusion (b) inequality (c) a + b in Limerick, particularly! :o

That's the whole point of social inclusion: it includes people in society. Society doesn't value stealing/killing/arson etc., etc. so by definition social inclusion is about a change of mind that rejects these. unemployment => low feeling of self-worth => lack of confidence in interview => still unemployed => lower feeling of self worth...vicious circle.

Ah, again lots of what your saying is good in theory, but everyone is different, and you're not going to change everyone. Not a hope in hell and its insanity to think you can. Some people like to go against the rules to be different. Everyone has a different view of the world. Not everyone is a good person deep down. They think they can get away with it because they like to feel "hard", so they will do it. I know lots of teenagers who come from decent families, but have turned into little scumbags because they want to seem hardy. Not because of social exclusion (although I'm sure it plays a part in some communities - thats fair enough). Not because they can't get a job, not because they have no "self worth", but because they are lazy arse bastards, who'd rather rob a euro than work for it. My point is that some people are just like that. There's not one answer or reason.

"Why get a job, when i could steal the money and sit on my hole all day? Training? Yeah right, thanks, but not thanks."

Its very, very easy to say, oh, we shouldn't stereotype Moyross people. I'm sure there probably are some decent people there. At the end of the day, would you like to live there knowing some of the stuff that goes on?

If 5 Moyross people moved into my house, would I lock the door when i go out because of where they come from? Sure I would. Thats not stereotyping. Thats using common sense.

Anyways, so, somebody is looking for a house in College Court then? Gone a little off topic...lol

Nothing like a little rant to prevent study :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Wow, just wow... this really has gone off-topic hasn't it?!

Personally, I believe the general perception of any group, whether they are a specific race, nationality or community, is decided by the most vocal, visual side of it. Unfortunately, in this case, Moyross gets its bad image from the few anti-social that live there.

Are the people themselves to blame? Not all, but some are, no denying that.

BTW, hope the OP finds some place safe and comfortable to live... :pac:

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Ah, again lots of what your saying is good in theory, but everyone is different, and you're not going to change everyone. Not a hope in hell and its insanity to think you can. Some people like to go against the rules to be different. Everyone has a different view of the world. Not everyone is a good person deep down. They think they can get away with it because they like to feel "hard", so they will do it. I know lots of teenagers who come from decent families, but have turned into little scumbags because they want to seem hardy. Not because of social exclusion (although I'm sure it plays a part in some communities - thats fair enough). Not because they can't get a job, not because they have no "self worth", but because they are lazy arse bastards, who'd rather rob a euro than work for it. My point is that some people are just like that. There's not one answer or reason.

"Why get a job, when i could steal the money and sit on my hole all day? Training? Yeah right, thanks, but not thanks."

Its very, very easy to say, oh, we shouldn't stereotype Moyross people. I'm sure there probably are some decent people there. At the end of the day, would you like to live there knowing some of the stuff that goes on?

If 5 Moyross people moved into my house, would I lock the door when i go out because of where they come from? Sure I would. Thats not stereotyping. Thats using common sense.

Anyways, so, somebody is looking for a house in College Court then? Gone a little off topic...lol

Nothing like a little rant to prevent study :pac:

Yep, a house in CC, eh?! I'm sure there'll be signs up in the windows. If not already, then any day soon!

Yep, you know it! Thank you for engaging in a procrastinating debate with me!! :D

IMO, you are leaving it very late to get a house in CC, especially for 6 people living together, you'd have no problem getting single rooms, or even 2/3 people to live together.

I hope you get something though OP.

@BD and Y2J, it was an interesting debate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Try splitting up into 2 groups of 3 perhaps, you might have more luck. Also, it may mean you meet new people and add more to your group!

...or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Vicious circle indeed, and the people who are perpetuating it are the (Tries not to tar Moyross people with the same tar laden brush) bad Moyross people.

If they got relocated from Moyross into Collge Court and crime rates didn't go up, people wouldn't give a crap where they were from (Apart from maybe an initial brouhaha about it) and maybe they'd say 'Nice Moyross people, maybe everyone from there isn't a dirty criminal, how eye opening and thought provoking, maybe I shouldn't tar everyone from there with the same brush'

What actually happens (Its anecdotal evidence sure, but there are enough people in this thread to back it up), People are relocated from Moyross to College Court, and the crime rate rises. People say 'Oh those scumbags from moyross caused the crime rate to go up (True), I'll now distrust anyone to come from Moyross based on my experience with them (Fair enough)'

Social inclusion is all well and good, but if the people being 'included' don't give a flying monkey about it, why should they get any sympathy?

*Awaits accusations of tar brushing, blaming poor people and blue dolphins response*

Advertisement