Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a house in College Court

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Open season on pikeys and skobies ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Lads tar away all ye like, we are no better tbh, look at what we have robbed/acquired over the past 3 years in the house in CC..
    I know its not to the same extent as breaking into homes/cars, but its still social deviant behaviour..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Peteee wrote: »
    What actually happens (Its anecdotal evidence sure, but there are enough people in this thread to back it up), People are relocated from Moyross to College Court, and the crime rate rises. People say 'Oh those scumbags from moyross caused the crime rate to go up (True), I'll now distrust anyone to come from Moyross based on my experience with them (Fair enough)'

Post hoc ergo propter hoc!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Here, you can borrow my social and ethnic cleanser;

http://www.serbu.com/top/super_shorty_870.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

There's only one solution for it all, nuclear weapons deployed from orbit. That way you can look down upon them with impunity and general contempt.

The above was meant to be humorous just in case anyone thinks I'm advocating genocide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

so is crime that bad out there? if these moves are happening, surely more pressure now needs to be made for a local garda station

zuroph wrote: »
    so is crime that bad out there? if these moves are happening, surely more pressure now needs to be made for a local garda station

Thats the thing though, crime isnt that bad, it has just increased. When I was in first year, the only break-ins were the ones done by the students as mentioned previously. Now it seems to be every second week that someone tells me his/her house/car was broken into.
    And yes a Garda Station might make a difference, but tbh, the Garda are constantly patrolling CC, and to no avail now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Sorry to pull this thread off topic again but I got in late
    Yes, people from Moyross, relatively speaking are proportionately from lower-income backgrounds. And yes, there are studies to show that crime increases as poverty increases.

These people are not in need of sympathy or handouts, but in need of real change to alleviate the inequalities that exist and reduce the margin between the wealthy and those at and beneath the poverty line. It's social exclusion (with implied increased unemployment and image of self-worth) that leads to crime.

Its not all about being poor. When I was growing up we were below the poverty line. I know right from wrong. I know that I should work for something and not to steal. It has alot to do with peoples parents. Parents teach their children right from wrong. My parents brought me up the right way. They knew that education was the way to having a better life.

It's about resetting how people from lower income backgrounds assess how society assesses them! For e.g. unemployment => low feeling of self-worth => lack of confidence in interview => still unemployed => lower feeling of self worth...vicious circle.

There's plenty of jobs out there for people who are willing to do a hard days work. But I see your point.
    Social inclusion is about intervening at the point that is necessary to bring about change.

Or in the case of Moyross: poor social conditions (housing, facilities, etc) => societal problems at large: unemployment, poverty, anti-social behaviour, etc => low feeling of self worth => worsening societal problems => spiralling downwards.

Fitzgerald report (although not without fault, but that's a rant for another day/thread! :p): INTERVENE! Regeneration programme to improve social conditions and issues such as criminality/drugs => decrease resulting social problems => increase feeling of self worth => decrease social problems => improvement.

Self worth has alot to do with how you feel you fit into society. Criminals/drug dealers don't give a sh1t about society and feel that they are kings amony men. People choose to steal or not to steal no mater where they come from.

There's always a choice.
    Living on or below the poverty line is a sure way of toughening you up and making you think, f*ck the world because it has f*cked me.

You should talk to my father. The world has f*cked him countless times but he hasn't given up.
    Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Not everyone is a good person deep down. They think they can get away with it because they like to feel "hard", so they will do it. I know lots of teenagers who come from decent families, but have turned into little scumbags because they want to seem hardy. Not because of social exclusion (although I'm sure it plays a part in some communities - thats fair enough). Not because they can't get a job, not because they have no "self worth", but because they are lazy arse bastards, who'd rather rob a euro than work for it. My point is that some people are just like that. There's not one answer or reason.
    [/SIZE]

Well said.
    And all this in a society that rams inequality so much in their faces that it dares to call this third level education 'free'.

Try education in the states. 30,000 a year for most courses. New Zeland has the best idea. They pay your college fees, then you pay it back after when you have a job.

Sorry if this feels like I'm picking on you bd. Your right in what you say. This is the way we need to do things to help people help themselves.

Its not all about money either. Its more important to have your health and your family.

On topic:
    I'll pm you details of a house that from what I hear will have 4 if not all 6 rooms free next year. I stayed in that house for 4 years and had a great time. There's a family living 2 doors down so they keep an eye on the place for themselves and everyone else. The landlord is sound aswell.

Mossin wrote: »
    Lads tar away all ye like, we are no better tbh, look at what we have robbed/acquired over the past 3 years in the house in CC..
    I know its not to the same extent as breaking into homes/cars, but its still social deviant behaviour..

You deviant you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

well the main benefit of a cop shop nearby isnt the patrols, its when something DOES happen, they get there much quicker. when i was living in grove island, i called the cops on two suspicious youths hanging around cars, within 45 seconds there was a cop car there, and within 2 minutes, there was another, and a van. the guys were trying to break into cars.

im certain if i put in a call out here, i wouldnt get that fast a reply, and a minute is enough time to break a car window, steal the contents, and disappear into the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

The Don wrote: »
    Its not all about being poor. When I was growing up we were below the poverty line. I know right from wrong. I know that I should work for something and not to steal. It has alot to do with peoples parents. Parents teach their children right from wrong. My parents brought me up the right way. They knew that education was the way to having a better life.

Myself and my cousin also grew up below the poverty line, and in a tough area. We both worked hard to get away from the stereotypes of the area - I went to college and he got an apprenticeship. A guy from the area that my cousin was very good friends with ODed and a few weeks later some guys he barely knew beat a guy so badly they put him in a coma. My cousin's boss decided my cousin was just like these guys cause he lived in the same area and he was fired. For no reason other than the area he lived in.

I always get the jokes about not leaving expensive stuff around cause I'll rob it or that I'm tough as nails and I'll kill you for looking sideways at me. I don't care about that, but in my last job I was accused of stealing from the till, despite the fact that the money went missing when I wasn't even working. I was so ashamed and furious that I was being stereotyped because of my address. I left the job but didn't tell anyone, not even my family, the real reason for leaving.

My parents and my cousin's parents kept us on the straight and narrow. We knew right from wrong and we knew if we wanted something badly enough we had to work for it. Both of us tried our best to be good, decent people and we still get stereotyped. My cousin is only 19 and he is now severely depressed. He practically needs constant supervision. He worked so hard to get his apprenticeship and then lost what was the only reason he was happy because of the area he lives in. I've seen it happen to a lot of people. No one will give them a chance so they stop trying.

For all we know anyone from Moyross living out here might be trying to make a decent go of it now and they're just getting stereotyped again. I'm not going to be blinkered and say they have nothing to do with the increase in crime in the area but I just wish people would think that maybe they aren't the only ones to blame, and that maybe some of them just want to leave Moyross behind them. Trust me, until you get stereotyped as a scumbag you don't know how soul destroying it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

I'll reply to...
    Peteee wrote: »
    <snip>
    you...
    <snip>
    you...
    <snip snip>
    and especially you...

...later. I'm presently cramming like bejebus for an exam at 4pm. It's gotten to the stage where I can't viably justify myself engaging in procrastinating debates. But no fear, I will respond! :pac: *runs away*

ergonomics wrote: »
    Myself and my cousin also grew up below the poverty line, and in a tough area. We both worked hard to get away from the stereotypes of the area - I went to college and he got an apprenticeship. A guy from the area that my cousin was very good friends with ODed and a few weeks later some guys he barely knew beat a guy so badly they put him in a coma. My cousin's boss decided my cousin was just like these guys cause he lived in the same area and he was fired. For no reason other than the area he lived in.

I always get the jokes about not leaving expensive stuff around cause I'll rob it or that I'm tough as nails and I'll kill you for looking sideways at me. I don't care about that, but in my last job I was accused of stealing from the till, despite the fact that the money went missing when I wasn't even working. I was so ashamed and furious that I was being stereotyped because of my address. I left the job but didn't tell anyone, not even my family, the real reason for leaving.

My parents and my cousin's parents kept us on the straight and narrow. We knew right from wrong and we knew if we wanted something badly enough we had to work for it. Both of us tried our best to be good, decent people and we still get stereotyped. My cousin is only 19 and he is now severely depressed. He practically needs constant supervision. He worked so hard to get his apprenticeship and then lost what was the only reason he was happy because of the area he lives in. I've seen it happen to a lot of people. No one will give them a chance so they stop trying.

For all we know anyone from Moyross living out here might be trying to make a decent go of it now and they're just getting stereotyped again. I'm not going to be blinkered and say they have nothing to do with the increase in crime in the area but I just wish people would think that maybe they aren't the only ones to blame, and that maybe some of them just want to leave Moyross behind them. Trust me, until you get stereotyped as a scumbag you don't know how soul destroying it is.

Thats total bs about your friend being fried for that reason. And you being accused of stealing when you weren't even working. Thats people looking down on others and thinking they're better, which someone said before.

Thats total bs about your friend being fried for that reason.

Deep fried or pan fried :D

In all seriousness though, it is as likely to be the reason as anything, and Don you cant call it bs if you dont know!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

In all seriousness though, it is as likely to be the reason as anything, and Don you cant call it bs if you dont know!

I think Bri... I mean The Don, meant that it was BS that he was fired because of his location, not that he didn't believe ergonomics...

...unless I'm wrong again! :pac:

Not sure what you mean. From what I got her friend was fired because some other people, not him, did things.

Otacon got what I meant.

My mistake, I mistook what you said.

My mistake, I mistook what you said.

That's what happens when you start wearing 'salmon' shirts. :p

That "salmon" shirt has served me well thus far, you remembering taking orders from me while I wore it? Or was that long hair in your ears :p;)

That "salmon" shirt has served me well thus far, you remembering taking orders from me while I wore it? Or was that long hair in your ears :p;)

I was too busy looking for 'Steve' :cool::D:p

• Advertisement

I was too busy looking for 'Steve' :cool::D:p

:D Ah "Steve"...havent seen him around in a while actually...but those were the days!! Hopefully he'll re-appear again soon now that the fine weather is here:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Anyone know of anywhere doing short-term rentals over the summer? Need somewhere from nowish until end of June...

I'd say walk around college court and check windows..
    Alternatively go to Brookfield, although that is expensive

Plenty of places, from what I can gather, are full-summer only...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Go into the Accommodation Office and ask for the summer rental list and last semester's one as well. That'll have a list of places available for the summer. Does it have to be College Court? Plenty of places elsewhere going as well...cheap enough, as well. Looking at a place in Briarfield tomorrow for €35/week (€40 for en suite).

Go into the Accommodation Office and ask for the summer rental list and last semester's one as well. That'll have a list of places available for the summer. Does it have to be College Court? Plenty of places elsewhere going as well...cheap enough, as well. Looking at a place in Briarfield tomorrow for €35/week (€40 for en suite).

Does it have to be College Court? Course not. I'll be heading to the accommodation office tomorrow alright, the list I've gotten from them appears to be, going by the prices, to be the semester list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

klong wrote: »
    the list I've gotten from them appears to be, going by the prices, to be the semester list

I just rang places off that list anyways, and found a decent place in Bru Na Ghrudain. (If only i could spell it)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I'd say walk around college court and check windows..
    Alternatively go to Brookfield, although that is expensive
    Yeah it seems it a bit more than I thought. Advertised as 49 euro week but this excludes bills, comes to about 60 euro week inc. Well thats what my sister was saying anyways.

They are charging €60 p/w in Brookfield for the summer!! :eek:
    Thats a ridiculous amount to pay....:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yeah it is alright - especially if still driving out to work, fuel be another 50 a week! - Oh well - work something out :)

Advertisement