Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Premiership Weekend

Options
  • 07-05-2008 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Not normally a big footie punter due to the cramped odds but love weekends like this where there is so much at stake.

Reading at 8/13 are a shocking price imho to beat Derby and I'll be backing against them. I think they haven't scored since March.

Sunderland, good at home, at 3/1 and bigger to beat Arsenal who have nothing to play for. Ticks all the boxes.

Wigan - 14/1 at home vs Utd. Chelsea will win. Wigan I think are unbeaten since March. Is it worth a very small stakes bet (my bet on Chelsea to win the Premiership may be influencing my thought process here).

Portsmouth. At home. 5/2 to beat Fulham. Again. Surely too good to miss, Of course may depend if Harry rests players or if players are playing for their spots.

All based on the theory mentioned in this forum before that at this time of year prices reflect that teams have to win matches rather than what their team's form would indicate their chances of winning said matches are.

Am I mad?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I don't think I'd back Wigan, even at 14/1. If Utd do slip up there it will be as a draw. Anything is possible I guess, but it would be a miracle.

I think City to beat Newcastle might be the most reliable game there tbh. They really need to put in a big performance I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

If Reading are that price at home that is shocking.

As a Chelsea fan I will take some of the 14/1 based on the fairytale rule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Wigan - 14/1 at home vs Utd. Chelsea will win. Wigan I think are unbeaten since March. Is it worth a very small stakes bet (my bet on Chelsea to win the Premiership may be influencing my thought process here).

would you not be better to back big on Utd so as you already have a return if they lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

prendy wrote: »
    would you not be better to back big on Utd so as you already have a return if they lose?
    Not looking to lock in a profit. Am looking for value.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

United will beat Wigan handy - so lump on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

Bubs101 wrote: »
    If Reading are that price at home that is shocking.

As a Chelsea fan I will take some of the 14/1 based on the fairytale rule

Reading are away!! Makes the price even worse i guess!!

Fancy Portsmouth as they surely are playing for a spot on the cup final team and fulham are sure to be nervous. Surely the 15/8 (PP's) about them at home represents the best value..

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

Kinda32 wrote: »
    Reading are away!! Makes the price even worse i guess!!

Fancy Portsmouth as they surely are playing for a spot on the cup final team and fulham are sure to be nervous. Surely the 15/8 (PP's) about them at home represents the best value..

yea suppose its decent value but you gotta look at the fact that portsmouth arent in good form,and all their players are gonna have one eye on that fa cup final,while fulham have mcbride back and are in good form going into a relegation decider..same with reading its all to play for they havent scored in 6 games but c'mon its derby who are relegated! i fancy both of them to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Fancy Liverpool to beat spurs.
    Spurs have won 1 game of their last 6.
    Berbatov is practically packing his bags.
    They have nothing left to play for.
    Liverpool on the other hand will either start a full strength team of else play
    with crouch up front who is trying his heart out to put himself in the shop window.
    See 2 or 3 goals in this and with Liverpools unreal away record see an away win.
    €70 on Liverpool dnb @ 5-6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wish I had your balls :) Everything you say is true and yet Keane will probably have a stormer just for the hell of it.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

Have gone for a treble of

Wigan +2 @ Evens
    Sunderland +1 @ 10/11
    Portsmouth DNB @ 5/4

10 on at just over 7.5/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Gonna go with Chelsea and United both to win in a multi bet for Sunday I think.

Saturday -

1 Rangers v Dundee Utd (Backing Rangers @ 1.29)
    2 Schalke v Frankfurt (Backing Schalke @ 1.29)
    3 St Mirren v Gretna (Backing St Mirren @ 1.31)
    4 W Bremen v Hannover (Backing W Bremen @ 1.39)

Sunday -

1 Inter v Siena (Backing Inter @ 1.13)
    2 Wigan v Man Utd (Backing Man Utd @ 1.23)
    3 Chelsea v Bolton (Backing Chelsea @ 1.15)
    4 Lyon v Nancy (Backing Lyon @ 1.44)
    5 Fiorentina v Parma (Backing Fiorentina @ 1.81)

Going four folds on that one.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Xavi6 wrote: »

Saturday -

Sunday -

Will there a big following for xavi this weekend?! I for one am! Some pressure! Might stick in reading too. Think they should battle to a win.. By the way is "multi" used in place of accum in australia/nz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

On Wigan at 15-1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Bubs101 wrote: »
    On Wigan at 15-1

Not a big stake I hope?
    wixfjord wrote: »
    Will there a big following for xavi this weekend?! I for one am! Some pressure! Might stick in reading too. Think they should battle to a win.. By the way is "multi" used in place of accum in australia/nz?

Yes. Multi is another word for accum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Saturday -

Sunday -

cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fergmcd

Had to put 4euro on a fourfold Man city, Liverpool, Reading, Pompey to win. returns 175euro (PP). Bremen,Bayern,Porto,Schalke got 84 off 15 today.

Its such an odd few weeks with the prices being based on what teams have to play for at this stage of season, got Bayern earlier on at evens to beat Duisberg away (1st against 17th in an 18 team league).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Doubles from 3 on the following wins;
    City
    Villa
    Everton

Trixie on the following draws
    Pool/Spurs
    Pompey/Fulham
    Derby/Reading

If two of the draws come in I should cover the bets!

Best of luck folks

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Did three single €10- 1st scorer bets.

Torres 1st scorer, 5/1. (Hope he starts!!)

Essien 1st scorer, 14/1 (Great price for one of their players of the season, i was tempted by Ballack but at 6/1 it wasn't great value)

Scholes 1st scorer, 11/1 (Big game player + I just love the guy, Vidic/Rio also tempting at 22/1 & 28/1)

Anyone else do any 1st scorers??

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

kenco wrote: »
    Doubles from 3 on the following wins;
    City
    Villa
    Everton

Lol I hope you learnt a valuable lesson today about betting on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

Wow. Got that spectacularly wrong. In the end did Derby Sunderland Wigan in singles. None ever had a chance. Derby really were shocking considering Reading's form going into that match. Got to wonder what possessed P Jewell to take that job.

• Advertisement

IrishMike wrote: »
    Fancy Liverpool to beat spurs.
    Spurs have won 1 game of their last 6.
    Berbatov is practically packing his bags.
    They have nothing left to play for.
    Liverpool on the other hand will either start a full strength team of else play
    with crouch up front who is trying his heart out to put himself in the shop window.
    See 2 or 3 goals in this and with Liverpools unreal away record see an away win.
    €70 on Liverpool dnb @ 5-6.

Sorted.
    Great end to what could have been a poor season.
    Another goals form Fernando, wins me a handy 60 quid.
    Nice one

Lol I hope you learnt a valuable lesson today about betting on us.
    Xavi, that City's worst result ever?

Is it boros best result ever ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

How did the weekend work out for you in the end Xavi?

The only thing I'm sure I won on was my good old Scorecasts!
    Ronaldo to score first and United to win 2-0. Haven't checked my PP account since and can't remember the odds but I think I had that pretty much covering all my bets for the weekend. Hopefully he'll keep going next season and I'll keep backing him :)

Edit:
    Turns out it was my best weekend's Premiership yet!

Ended up having a good few things come up - screenshots attached.
    I only ever do small stakes btw.

The accum and ninefolds were for all 10 premiership games at the weekend where I did double chance (TEAM OR DRAW) for each. It's the first time I've gotten all correct.

Advertisement