Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro And Novice Threads

Options
  • 07-05-2008 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. It has been suggested that there be a seperate thread for pro discussion and one for low end discussion. The idea being that if someone has a basic question they can post it in the low end and if someone is referring to neve equipment or ssl desks or something they can post it to the high end.

If you could all post your opinions on this we will get an idea. I might set up a poll. If it is something that people want I might be able to organise a PRO subforum.

I personally would be unsure if we have enough traffic here to warrant another forum. There is also the issue of a cutoff line between pro and novice but its not really going to matter that much as everyone has a fair idea. I think the idea would be that it refers to equipment moreso than experience.

Dave

Do we want a forum split between high and low end 0 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭fitz

Two subforums perhaps?
    1. Pro Gear Discussion
    2. Low End Gear Discussion

I think you're better splitting the forum between gear discussion and everything else.
    Or look at splitting it up even more: Beginner and Home Studio, Pro Gear, Studio Techniques, Software and Plugins, etc...might work well that way actually...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Christ no. There aren't enough users for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

I would agree Sav. I just dont think it really warrants it with the amount of people we have coming through

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I say no, there is absolutely no reason for doing with this other than elitism. If you don't want to be involved in a discussion that is outside of your level of expertise, just ignore it. If the forum gets a lot busier then maybe a case for it could be made then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Pros Dont Have To Answer Beginner Questions, I Think The Idea Will Cause A Bit Of A Wee Gap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

i can see where youre coming from.

over the last while this forum has been made less accessible to at home recorders such as myself (and i imaging the vast vast majority of people who frequent this board)

it's fair to say that theres a few people on here who think there pros, but how many actually are i wonder?

i'd like this forum to be like it was six months ago where you can ask stupid questions and talk about budget equipment without some 'pro' telling you off.

we all cant afford Neve preamps, and just becaue some people can it doesnt make them a pro, and it doesnt make their opinion more valid than anyone elses. no one around here is a big-shot.

oh yeah, so back on topic, good idea but not enough traffic although i do feel participation in the forum has been hurt for the reasons above. sory for the rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

judas101 wrote: »

over the last while this forum has been made less accessible to at home recorders such as myself (and i imaging the vast vast majority of people who frequent this board)

it's fair to say that theres a few people on here who think there pros, but how many actually are i wonder?

i'd like this forum to be like it was six months ago where you can ask stupid questions and talk about budget equipment without some 'pro' telling you off.

we all cant afford Neve preamps, and just becaue some people can it doesnt make them a pro, and it doesnt make their opinion more valid than anyone elses. no one around here is a big-shot.

oh yeah, so back on topic, good idea but not enough traffic although i do feel participation in the forum has been hurt for the reasons above. sory for the rant.

wholeheartedly agree. while i am technically speaking a professional, i would rather poke my ears with knitting needles than listen to 'pro-this/pro-that/nonsense.

(jtsuited you know the rules)- Sei046

I actually think if you were going to do a subforum, maybe do an electronic music production forum. on the dance/dj/electronic forum, i was asked a few times to do a sort of remix tutorial/how to get stuff signed/etc. thingy.
    I would gladly have shared my limited knowledge but anything i would have done would have fallen between two barstools.

Jt read the charter. Its decided there will be no subforum on the grounds that there is not enough traffic. Anyone can PM with any issues like the ones mentioned or it can be discussed here so long as it is kept sensible and without any usage of names

sei046 wrote: »
    Jt read the charter. Its decided there will be no subforum on the grounds that there is not enough traffic. Anyone can PM with any issues like the ones mentioned or it can be discussed here so long as it is kept sensible and without any usage of names

read what bit of the charter?
    there's not really much point in beating around the bush though is there?

"No personal attacks or offensive remarks. Let’s be nice to each other round here. Warnings will be followed by bans for offenders"

If there is an issue here you could Pm me or one of the lads or bring it up in the forum without the use of insults or names. This is most definitely the most effective way of seeing results as you will get more people to consider what your saying.

• Advertisement

This is most definitely the most effective way of seeing results as you will get more people to consider what your saying.
    Not to be too headstrong about this, but if people aren't willing to consider what I'm saying because I said it in a humorous way, and aren't willing to see what i'm saying, or even acknowledge that what i says has any sort of validity whatsoever, I don't think anything is going to convince them otherwise.

Its not the humorous way thats the problem, but you really cannot be using names like you did. Lets just move on a little here and kill this thread as its pretty clear we dont want a subforum.

So, NAY to Article 1 "Subforums"

Jt you can bring this issue up no hassle if you have problems but if you dont mind doing it in a seperate forum where people can see clearly what your talking about and its not buried here. Also keep a keen eye on the charter if you want to get your 2c in with the fuzz!

Dave

Its not the humorous way thats the problem, but you really cannot be using names like you did. Lets just move on a little here and kill this thread as its pretty clear we dont want a subforum.

So, NAY to Article 1 "Subforums"

Jt you can bring this issue up no hassle if you have problems but if you dont mind doing it in a seperate forum where people can see clearly what your talking about and its not buried here. Also keep a keen eye on the charter if you want to get your 2c in with the fuzz!

Dave

Nay to Article 1 seconded.

yup i'll be on my best behaviour!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Nope. Stupid idea. Not even close to the amount of traffic needed to warrant it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

judas101 wrote: »

I guess the forum becomes what it's posters make it! If you make little or no contribution (and I'm not referring to you Judas101!) you can't really be moaning about what direction it takes.

The forum where 'you can ask stupid questions and talk about budget equipment' is of no interest to me and I would hope, be of no interest to most - for any length of time, if one was interested in developing their recording skills .

I know if I was 18 again and had access to any guys who had experience I'd lap it up and be melting their heads with questions ! I certainly wouldn't see it as a threat. As a well older than 18 year old I still take every opportunity to question lads - that is , after all how one gets ideas and experience.

Perhaps this line of thought is at root of why there's so little exciting music being recorded ? (I say that in relation to the amount of recorded music, which is huge!!) There seems to be insecurity to express oneself? So what if everyone else dislikes your music? Once you do and enjoy making it, so what?

I don't refer to your post specifically Judas101 , it's just that it's triggered my thoughts!

I think splitting the forum into 2 is a bad idea, but I do like the idea of a NEWBIEZONE, where you can freely post on anything, without fear of critisism.

Similarly I think the forum needs robust opinions to keep it of interest to anyone but the most basic recorder.

I can safely say myself and JTSuited, for example, would find it hard to agree on the day of the week but I personally would rather have that going on than a 'is a £2 mic better than a £3 mic' for eternity.

But perhaps I'm in the minority here?

PS... I bet you could afford a Neve!

Ok lads we might leave her there. Its clear their will be no subforum. Some good discussion. I like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

If a sub forum is needed, pro or novice, it will become self evident. It hasn't so I reckon we should just leave this issue. Things are grand.

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    The forum where 'you can ask stupid questions and talk about budget equipment' is of no interest to me and I would hope, be of no interest to most - for any length of time, if one was interested in developing their recording skills .
    right this is the crux of the matter really.

who the hell are you to be so arrogant to think you can make that type of judgement?

'developing their recording skills'?
    recording skills are not knowing which bit of equipment to buy based on who else is using what.

a huge amount of threads before you joined were precisely about such questions which would 'be of no interest to' you.
    there are a lot less nowadays as the tone of this forum has changed completely.
    If I were a noob wondering about a 200 euro interface i might feel a little intimidated about posting due to the fact that such a regular poster as yourself is constantly harping on about how the posh stuff is a lot better, and you're only fooling yourself if you think you can get good results out of cheap gear.

I also notice how you speak of 'how are you going to survive in the music industry if you are afraid to post on a forum'.

You see Paul, some people would rather have a love for music production and stay as far away from the music industry as possible. Why? because they don't want to put up with endless amount of sh1t-talkers and just general bullsh1t.

You're deluded sense of self importance probably does no favours for the place either.
    but that's just my opinion, and i would be fairly willing to say with the balance of probability that i'm not the only one who thinks it.
    So remember this forum is called Music Production and not 'How to make it in the Music Industry'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

jtsuited wrote: »
    right this is the crux of the matter really.

who the hell are you to be so arrogant to think you can make that type of judgement?

'developing their recording skills'?
    recording skills are not knowing which bit of equipment to buy based on who else is using what.

a huge amount of threads before you joined were precisely about such questions which would 'be of no interest to' you.
    there are a lot less nowadays as the tone of this forum has changed completely.
    If I were a noob wondering about a 200 euro interface i might feel a little intimidated about posting due to the fact that such a regular poster as yourself is constantly harping on about how the posh stuff is a lot better, and you're only fooling yourself if you think you can get good results out of cheap gear.

I also notice how you speak of 'how are you going to survive in the music industry if you are afraid to post on a forum'.

You see Paul, some people would rather have a love for music production and stay as far away from the music industry as possible. Why? because they don't want to put up with endless amount of sh1t-talkers and just general bullsh1t.

You're deluded sense of self importance probably does no favours for the place either.
    but that's just my opinion, and i would be fairly willing to say with the balance of probability that i'm not the only one who thinks it.
    So remember this forum is called Music Production and not 'How to make it in the Music Industry'.

We REALLY don't need another tiff on the forum. Please read the charter and be civil in your posts.

frobisher wrote: »
    We REALLY don't need another tiff on the forum. Please read the charter and be civil in your posts.

Tiff Free Zone as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

It's clear some folks will never see eye to eye, but it's fairly apparent Paul & JT rub each other up the wrong way for whatever reason. I'm not getting into all this crap again because the way I see it, I may have to work alongside one of you gentlemen one day and I'd like to do so without a preconception of what an aul bollix you might be due to your personal views on Behringer compressors or whatever.

So consider me a lurker in the background waiting for the odd PA-related post to surface all the while avoiding general conflict with other users, even if some get right on my tits. It's easier over on the footy forums, everyone has it out and then the match takes place and someone wins so it means someone has to shut up for a while because there is an undisputed winner. In music its a lot less clear, nobody can call a particular genre or technique "wrong" for it can never actually be proven but it means there's far more pretentiousness amongst peers. Just my own observations.

Hug it out or somethin.:rolleyes:

Good documentary on Mark Everett of the Eels on TV at the moment. His Dad 'invented' quantum mechanics! Cool ...

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    I guess the forum becomes what it's posters make it! If you make little or no contribution (and I'm not referring to you Judas101!) you can't really be moaning about what direction it takes.

Not sure if Paul's post above was aimed at anyone in particular. But I feel that I'm a member who could be classed as one who doesn't contribute much.

I've been a member on boards for over 2 years. I work in the recording / broadcast industry. As you can see from my post count I don't contribute much. I post when I have a point to make or when I have a question or issue that I need help with. I reply to topics that interest me or to questions I might have solutions for. Just because I don't post regularly doesn't mean I don't use the forum a lot. I don't feel the need to post all the time
    a) because a lot of questions I want to ask have been discussed already and I just read previous posts.
    b) because I don't have any point to add that hasn't been posted already.
    Just because I don't post much doesn't mean I can't decide to contribute by giving my opinion and ideas for the forum.

I've read a lot of your posts Paul and I have learned a lot and have been interested in a lot that you say although I don't reply or contribute much. I'm just making you aware that I read most threads here everyday. I post when I think it's necessary.

Also, I do get a bit fed up with the posts about "which gear should I buy" or "what mic is the right one for me" but I still read and reply if I have answers. I was in the same position 2 years ago and I still post questions on various forums. I like when my questions get answered so I have no real issue with "stupid" questions on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

To be honest, and I don't care what anybody says...

There is NO such thing as a stupid question. It is being asked so the person can gain a little more knowledge about what interests them, and I GUARANTEE that there would be someone else reading the answer that didn't know it either but were just too shy or whatever to ask who will also gain from the question being asked.

Life is all about gaining knowledge and experience. Nobody knows everything straight away. People need to remember that and to remember where they started and some of the questions that they did ask or those that they were afraid to ask in the beginning. Everybody has a different way of doing things in this business. There is no right and certainly no wrong way. Everybody can learn from each other which is, to me, the way it bloody should be. The internet is a great resource for information which is one of the reasons for its existence today.

Now shut the hell up with your inane and puerile crap talking and lets keep the information flowing so we can all keep learning!

QuadLeo wrote: »
    Not sure if Paul's post above was aimed at anyone in particular. .

No.! The point I was making was there's no point moaning about changes in the Forum unless you participate, i.e. offer an alternative view, and express it. A bit like whining about the Government but not Voting!

Soundman wrote: »
    To be honest, and I don't care what anybody says...

The internet is a great resource for information which is one of the reasons for its existence today.

Now shut the hell up with your inane and puerile crap talking and lets keep the information flowing so we can all keep learning!

I agree.

Ok lads lets wrap her up and If anyone who wants to post could please just post and lets see what happens!

Advertisement