Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to rent a MTB bike in Galway?

Options
  • 07-05-2008 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,133 ✭✭✭

hi,
    A few friends are planning of coming over to try out the Oughterard trail.
    Anyone know what shops around Galway would rent bikes and at what price?

Cheers,
    Pa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Not sure where you can rent MTBs if at all.
    There are a few places that rent bikes out to tourists cycling round the city, but I'm not sure if anyone does bikes that could cope with the Oughterard trail.

Have you been out on it yet?
    Its pretty good, and some of the really muddy sections should have dried out a bit with the good weather.

Where are your friends coming from? If within Ireland I'd advise bringing their bikes with them.

Best bet to find out would be to ring the main bike shops around Galway to see if they know of anywhere renting, that would be Kearneys, Nigel's, Harry's and the Mountain Trail Bike Shop in the city centre.
    There's another shop near woodquay, on the way out towards Tesco/Omniplex but I don't know the name of it.
    There's a bike rental place between the Bierhaus & the Roisin Dubh bars, think thats Dominic St. I suspect they just do touring bike rentals, but worth a shot there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,133 ✭✭✭dinneenp

hi,
    Thanks for the reply. I called West of Ireland Cycling shop (091 588830) on Dominck Street. They do touring bikes for €12 and MTB's for €15. Also said they can give us exact directions to the trail (about 10km past Oughterard on right hand side by gate I think).

Friends are coming from Dublin and don't have a bike rack so just as easy to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Nice one - I'd check out the MTBs to be sure they're capable of taking on the trails, but €15 for the day is pretty good.
    For directions, I've done a Google map up of the places I've tried out round Galway - Oughterard/Derroura trail is what your looking for - top left of the map.
    Galway Trails

Advertisement