Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Classic Old Skool tunes to drop into a Modern set...

• 07-05-2008 1:37pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

From the May bank Holiday weekend thread:
    Ricardo (Villlobos) didnt actually play much minimal at all, it was quite a chunky set. And yes he did actually play a couple of old skool tracks, believe it or believe it not ;)

Donna Summer - I feel love

and a few others I dont know the names of, but know the tune

This reminded me of a thread I had been meaning to start... Few years ago I used to always drop in at least one old skool track to my mixes - and it usually makes the place go berserk if done well. I used to have a directory of these very special types tunes but lost it over the years...

Can you guys please suggest a few similar types tunes that everyone knows and loves?

Sound clip or youtube link appreciated...
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

depending on the crowd i guess.off the top of my head,sex o sonique - thought it was you is something i always try and drop.
    ill be back with more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1bU2wuRrj8
    great bassline when it kicks in,actually used to be a staple of mine(cue alot of people dropping it n sets now ha ha)

great track

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

It totally depends on what set your playing, if it's House God where do i start maybe this vintage classic

this is one of my all time favourite songs,it's from 1988 an all time classic that sounds fresh today,would go down a treat in a set.

http://www.discogs.com/release/133877
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90F-UOTxTy8

any other style of music let me know and i can recommend many tunes.

jonny68 wrote: »
    It totally depends on what set your playing, if it's House God where do i start maybe this vintage classic

this is one of my all time favourite songs,it's from 1988 an all time classic that sounds fresh today,would go down a treat in a set.

http://www.discogs.com/release/133877
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90F-UOTxTy8

any other style of music let me know and i can recommend many tunes.
    thats about as fresh as a year old sliced pan mate(imo)
    sure you put in the right link:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Cheers lads. Sex O Sonique is Perfect sean - more of them pelase! But I mainly play house and surrounding genre's - tech, deep, electro etc.

I'm more after the real (commercial) classics that even people who are not dance heads will know and love etc

wubble u -petal

everyone remember this one and theres some really good remixes of it floating around

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvpfcBkfgCQ

id hunt down the remixes but alot of people remember this one too

• Advertisement

seannash wrote: »
    thats about as fresh as a year old sliced pan mate(imo)
    sure you put in the right link:D

I'm sure i did yeah, i don't have sound here in work on my PC but if it's the same mix as the version Laurent Garnier played on the album excess luggage then it's a classic.

#goes to check discogs#:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

The house is mine by the hypnotist or total confusion by a homeboy hippie nad funky dread always get the crowd moving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

yeah jonny are you sure that link is correct?

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

A very oldskool techno tune from LFO -

http://www.discogs.com/release/20977

I'd happily drop this into a set now (if I played somewhere :D )

while i see the nostalgic purposes of dropping something like lfo,i dont think it would hold up too well in a modern set.but then again thats just my opinion.
    it was a good tune in its day but i dont think it holds up too well against the more recent stuff.
    back then an acid bassline was fresh and exciting but now i think,because weve heard that same noise a million times,its a bit stale sounding.
    again just my personal opinion:D

• Advertisement

Well the question was relating to oldskool tunes that would still get a crowd going and I would be pretty surprised if LFO didn't.

This will either clear the floor or pack it, depending on the crowd I guess :pac:

On the LFO buzz again with a rare remix of 'Tied Up'

yeah but you gotta remember that the majority of the crowd wont know the tune so its still gotts be a modern sounding tune,which i dont think lfo is.

for those who do remember itll definitely be a jump around like a lunatic tune based purely on nostalga but for anyone who hasnt heard it it doesnt(imo)translate well.and unfortunately th majority of the crowd wont have heard it
    again only my personal opinion

while i see the nostalgic purposes of dropping something like lfo,i dont think it would hold up too well in a modern set.but then again thats just my opinion.
    it was a good tune in its day but i dont think it holds up too well against the more recent stuff.
    back then an acid bassline was fresh and exciting but now i think,because weve heard that same noise a million times,its a bit stale sounding.
    again just my personal opinion:D

Oh and btw are you a mate of jsuited per chance?! :D

yeah but you gotta remember that the majority of the crowd wont know the tune so its still gotts be a modern sounding tune,which i dont think lfo is.

for those who do remember itll definitely be a jump around like a lunatic tune based purely on nostalga but for anyone who hasnt heard it it doesnt(imo)translate well.and unfortunately th majority of the crowd wont have heard it

Don't think it really matters if it is known, played in the right context a good tune will always get a crowd going (in my opinion - love the new disclaimers!). Might need to add that to the sig too :pac:

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Oh and btw are you a mate of jsuited per chance?! :D
    pretty friendly with him alright.he did a remix of a track of mine and got to know him through another forum.top bloke.
    we do actually share similar views on this sort of subject.
    but that still doesnt make my comments any less valid does it:D
    but seriously like i said,i just think if you drop these in a modern set it wouldnt hold up.

Don't think it really matters if it is known, played in the right context a good tune will always get a crowd going (in my opinion - love the new disclaimers!). Might need to add that to the sig too :pac:
    well i guess it just comes down to taste.i think those tracks are pretty **** sounding.
    i really dont have to add in my opinion to that staement do i:D

pretty friendly with him alright.he did a remix of a track of mine and got to know him through another forum.top bloke.
    we do actually share similar views on this sort of subject.
    but that still doesnt make my comments any less valid does it:D
    but seriously like i said,i just think if you drop these in a modern set it wouldnt hold up.

Of course it makes them less valid, you may aswell pack your bags now and leave (joke).

Depends again on what you are playing... [in my opinion] If you are playing techno, you could play LFO. Along with many others. Quality is quality, and never goes off.

well i guess it just comes down to taste.i think those tracks are pretty **** sounding.
    i really dont have to add in my opinion to that staement do i:D

No, you don't need to add anything. But you are in the minority with your opinion. Which is fine too!

• Advertisement

Great track, that Laurent Garnier mix collection is unreal too.

What makes you think the majority of the crowd wont know it even if they were younger?i know many people in their early/mid 20's who know absolutely loads about old skool.

mad comment to make that:eek:

No, you don't need to add anything. But you are in the minority with your opinion. Which is fine too!
    hmm i dont think so.id say if your asked the clubbers who actually go to clubs what they thought of this tune,most would agree with me.
    its just that dance music has progressed so much further than what those track are.people expect more.
    ask anyone who is relevent in todays scene.you gotta move with the times.
    oldschool tracks are fine.theyve served there purpose but very few hold up.i just dont think youve picked a winner with lfo:D
    theres definitely old school tracks that will ignite any floor,young or old.but these arent it(imo):D

What makes you think the majority of the crowd wont know it even if they were younger?i know many people in their early/mid 20's who know absolutely loads about old skool.

mad comment to make that:eek:

cool man,your entitled to your opinion.there is a reason you dont hear these tracks out.people may know them,doesnt mean there good tracks.
    like i said its all my opinion but same way you think people will side with you i feel people will agree with my point of view on the subject

hmm i dont think so.id say if your asked the clubbers who actually go to clubs what they thought of this tune,most would agree with me.
    its just that dance music has progressed so much further than what those track are.people expect more.
    oldschool tracks are fine.theyve served there purpose but very few hold up.i just dont think youve picked a winner with lfo:D
    theres definitely old school tracks that will ignite any floor,young or old.but these arent it(imo):D

Maybe I should learn more about the tunes and pop back again another time so, damn this last year or so of enjoying dance music, thought I knew something :(

What about this little house number then, very bubbly

I actually go to clubs all the time and have been for 18 years and i can tell you your wrong,people aren't gonna start saying "ah fcuk your man's playing old skool" of course new dance music should be the order of the day but there's absolutely northing wrong at all with dropping the occasional old skool track in a set, i do it all the time when i play a (new) set as do many many dj's.

Sean, would I be right to assume that you were not around for the early scene too?

Back on topic...this is another House classic, massive tune from the gorgeous Kristine W

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-6-50Yo4GM

http://www.discogs.com/release/113335

I actually go to clubs all the time and have been for 18 years and i can tell you your wrong,people aren't gonna start saying "ah fcuk your man's playing old skool" of course new dance music should be the order of the day but there's absolutely northing wrong at all with dropping the occasional old skool track in a set, i do it all the time when i play a (new) set as do many many dj's.
    see heres the thing.the thread is about old school tunes in a modern set.im of the belief that if you drop an old track people shouldnt know its an old one unless they know the background of it.
    the tunes picked sounded dated,you cant argue that fact.old production techniques and very basic sounds.
    if your going to drop an old tune to a crowd where the majority of people are below 28 years of age they shouldnt remark"oh **** that hes playing oldschool"because they shouldnt be able to tell the difference.with the lfo they will tell the difference.
    im giving you an opinion on the tracks.play them to someone who has never heard them before and they will tell you there ****e(sorry but thats my belief)
    were as play them sex o sonique and it sounds on par with modern house tracks.
    but hey like i said it only my opinion and if you disagree cool.its only a discussion.
    i take your views on board but i dont have to agree with them.:D

• Advertisement

Sean, would I be right to assume that you were not around for the early scene too?

well truth be told ive been listening to dance music since i was 10(mostly because my older brother listened to it and we shared a room)
    so im familiar with oldschool to a certain degree,plus ive done my homework on oldschool tracks and labels.now granted its not the same as being involved with the scene back then but i do know about most older tracks.

thing is.like i said the majority of clubbers are between 18-28 and i dont think theyll care much about the nostalgic purposes of a track.they only care about what sounds good.and i dont think this would be a good sounding track to them.
    believe me ive offended a few people by telling them there old tunes sound horrible by todays standards:D

Back on topic...this is another House classic, massive tune from the gorgeous Kristine W

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-6-50Yo4GM

http://www.discogs.com/release/113335

i actually got approached by her manager in miami.i was playing and he came up to me and said she was in the room and wanted me to play her new track.handed me a cd.i said i dont play anything i hadnt heard before.
    he then proceeded to say but its kritine w.
    anyway long story short didnt play it,good thing to it was a horrible cover of The Boss.
    shes gone really euro poppy,shame really:D

well truth be told ive been listening to dance music since i was 10(mostly because my older brother listened to it and we shared a room)
    so im familiar with oldschool to a certain degree,plus ive done my homework on oldschool tracks and labels.now granted its not the same as being involved with the scene back then but i do know about most older tracks.

thing is.like i said the majority of clubbers are between 18-28 and i dont think theyll care much about the nostalgic purposes of a track.they only care about what sounds good.and i dont think this would be a good sounding track to them.
    believe me ive offended a few people by telling them there old tunes sound horrible by todays standards:D

Well I suppose again thats down to preference, some would say they prefer the more 'organic' sound from back then rather than the tightly produced work of today (all done on these 'computers'). I do like (love actually) current electronic too, just a tad more downbeat these days given my near-pension status in life :eek:

Stupid argument really this which I reckon I'll stay out of in future (if I can resist!) as it never goes anywhere - the younger folk say current music is better, the older say otherwise (we are right though :p ).

technically not really an ols track but a good one never the less

97 Lucid-I Cant Help Myself
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyAkDoVUMjM&feature=related

i actually got approached by her manager in miami.i was playing and he came up to me and said she was in the room and wanted me to play her new track.handed me a cd.i said i dont play anything i hadnt heard before.
    he then proceeded to say but its kritine w.
    anyway long story short didnt play it,good thing to it was a horrible cover of The Boss.
    shes gone really euro poppy,shame really:D

it's a shame indeed as this was an absolute classic , i remember it well, they played it in the POD one nite i was there in 1994 and all the posh knobs there went mad for it.

Incidentally what type of music do you play?

it's a shame indeed as this was an absolute classic , i remember it well, they played it in the POD one nite i was there in 1994 and all the posh knobs there went mad for it.

Incidentally what type of music do you play?

just house across the board,vocal,deep,electro,minimal etc.
    whatever really.
    if you check out my tracks its pretty wide ranging but yeah its all just house music really:D

(shameless plug ha ha)

• Advertisement

still drop this
    stretch and vern-im alive
    its just a take on earth wind and fires boogie wonderland but people love it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMZQCeofIZ4

oh theres also a remix of renegade master by siverdick that is really good.good modern spin on an old tune
    and also a remix of higher state of conciousness.doesnt say who by it just says 2005 house mix.
    had to rip them from vinyl i had not sure if there available anywhere but there both excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

lol old people.

only joking!!
    tbh i actually like that lfo track. i like a good bit of their stuff, but only in small amounts and when i'm in a certain mood.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Donna Summer and Sex O Sonique are exactly what I'm after... Can't see any of the others making my list unfortunately. Ok maybe I should not have said "Old Skool" but been more specific... Really I'm talking 5+ year old stuff. But tunes that are "Commercial Classics" - your mates who are not into dance music, if you brought them to a gig/party and the DJ drops tune X, at the end of the night they'll go - Oh I liked the way he played X....

Preferably stuff that does not sound totally dated.... Maybe even some modern remix's of older tunes?

OK I'll lash out a few possible suggestions to give you a better idea - these are by no means perfect - just a pointer in the right direction... Some I have heard played out and thought 'cool I must try dropping that etc...

New order - Blue Monday
    Sandy B - Make the World go Round
    Liquid - Sweet Harmony

Does that kinda give you a better idea?

If I think of any better ones tomorrow I'll throw em up...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Luke! Broughan

808 state.
    Pacific state.

UR - Hi tech Jazz

Aztec Mystic - Knights of the Jaguar..

Housey.

Sandy B - Make The World Go Around (I dropped this at a wedding set a couple off weeks ago)
    Lil Louis - French Kiss

Moby - Mobility (this Rocks still, played it through a 7k Rig what a joy)

Groove Armada - Superstylin & But I Feel Good.

SL2 - On A Ragga Tip

Discogs is great and so is MusicStack and Amazon for picking up Gems..

Hopefully the weather will stay good the weekend, DJing with a good mate in the early hours in a Marquee, Nothing like a good house party, No Bouncers, No Laws, just get the right people, Deadly....:p

Zascar wrote: »

New order - Blue Monday
    Sandy B - Make the World go Round
    Liquid - Sweet Harmony

Does that kinda give you a better idea?

If I think of any better ones tomorrow I'll throw em up...

Didn't see this,

I suppose you could add,

Mory Kante - Yeke Yeke

Mighty Dub Katz - Magic Carpet Ride

Human League - Don't You Want Me (Derrick Carter Rmx)

Leftfield - Open Up

And don't laugh, Happy Mondays - Step On....:cool:

Easily know I'm in my mid 30's, I'm surprised I'm still here...:pac::pac::pac:

was an old one,got an update by commie and a few others

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abdvfqobBa4&feature=related

golden girls -kinetic
    also i guess camisra-let me show you, still works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭sur_1_nuage

NoDrama wrote: »
    Didn't see this,

I suppose you could add,

Mory Kante - Yeke Yeke

Easily know I'm in my mid 30's, I'm surprised I'm still here...:pac::pac::pac:

Actually i was gonna add Yeke Yeke, the Afro Acid Rmx, which Hawtin dropped at the TDK Timewarp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB64GWW8YfA

Yeah now we're on track lads - great stuff!

Yeke Yeke - saaavage, have and love the original but cheers never heard that mix, cheers.
    Superstylin is one of my favourite tracks ever.
    Didn't think of Leftfield but some of their tracks could work really well... Maybe even some Propellerheads and Prodigy too!

Felix your first and last ones are cool too

Still a classic to this day and much loved.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hXm4PXZnu5M&feature=related

More of a funky techno buzz and a great track from Dave Clarke...

http://www.discogs.com/release/114883

The Orb - A Huge Ever Growing Pulsating Brain That Rules From The Centre Of The Ultraworld (Orbital Dance Mix)

http://www.discogs.com/release/93583

This puts shivers through me, ah the memories!

Ron Trent - Altered States

Definitely one of the best tracks ever made.

http://www.discogs.com/release/816

• Advertisement
Advertisement