Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Convertibles & Car Washes

Options
  • 07-05-2008 1:51pm
    Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have an audi tt roadster and its filthy. There aren't any of those power wahes around (all closed down) and I was wondering what might happen if I stuck it through an automatic one. Can't get one of those power washers for home use, as its in an underground carpark.

I know you're not supposed to use those with a ragtop but I wonder why? Is it just the risk of getting spraye through the door seals? Anyone try it before? How moist were you after?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Did you not see the episode of Top Gear where they put the 'convertible' scenic through a car wash:pac:

To be honest, I wouldn't use a car wash regardless of whether it was a ragtop or hardtop, it destroys the paintwork.

Bucket and sponge FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Drive it to your mates house - Use his power washer and give his the once over aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭blackbox

Please make a video so that you can post it here afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

Maximilian wrote: »
    I have an audi tt roadster and its filthy. There aren't any of those power wahes around (all closed down) and I was wondering what might happen if I stuck it through an automatic one. Can't get one of those power washers for home use, as its in an underground carpark.

I'm in similiar situation to you, have a TT Roadster and live in Apt block so no access to private washes, if possible I use a power wash but if stuck for time put it through the automatic one (I know its not the best!) but never does any damage and doesn't leak a bit! Softtops are so well built these days they shouldn't leak in a car wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

In my handbook it does say that the car can be put through one of these brush washes ('96 3 ser conv) but it doesn't recommend it. Where are you located approximately? Maybe one of the other people on here could point you in the direction of your nearest power wash.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

cbyrne wrote: »
    I'm in similiar situation to you, have a TT Roadster and live in Apt block so no access to private washes, if possible I use a power wash but if stuck for time put it through the automatic one (I know its not the best!) but never does any damage and doesn't leak a bit! Softtops are so well built these days they shouldn't leak in a car wash.

Thanks - that's exactly what I was trying to find out.

As for the other replies, yes I would much prefer to use a power washer but its not really an option. As for the bucket & sponge suggestion: Sir, I challenge you to a duel for your insolence.

/chooses weapon
    /awaits dawn by the old farm shed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Maximilian wrote: »
    As for the bucket & sponge suggestion: Sir, I challenge you to a duel for your insolence.

/chooses weapon
    /awaits dawn by the old farm shed.

/nicks TT roadster as he knows where owner will be at dawn.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Mac 3

I dont think the Automatic washes are suitable for a convertible. I've had 2 and I always used power hoses and even at that some manufacturers say that you shouldn't power hose the roof. There are cleaners available for cleaning the soft top. i bought a convertible care kit from halfords, haven't used it yet but i'll keep ye posted.

I wouldn't put a convertible near an automatic wash..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

No car, convertible or not should ever be sent through a brush wash type car wash.

Well, not unless you want to ruin the paintwork that is:D!

And if you wash it by hand, DON'T use washing up liquid unless you want to ruin the paint!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

In my handbook it does say that the car can be put through one of these brush washes ('96 3 ser conv) but it doesn't recommend it. Where are you located approximately? Maybe one of the other people on here could point you in the direction of your nearest power wash.

Grand Canal Dock in Dublin, near Pearse St. There used to be a great place (aprt from the queues) on the Rock Road - bunch of Chinese guys with those power hoses - but like so many others, that garage was shut down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Depends on too many things for definite answers, methinks -

convertible type (folding hardtop/softop)
    state of roof and seals (regularly lubed or left alone forever more)
    particular autobrush you'd go to (brush material and RPM)
    detergents used in the autobrush
    etc.

I have a 10 year old MX5 and have put it through autobrushes every now and then over the years (have to, to get a "full & proper" undercarriage wash), never done any damage whatsoever.

But to second some earlier posters, I try to avoid auto brushes as much as possible, irrespective of car type.

Not because they "damage the paintwork" (they may have done up until 10-15 years ago or so, but not these days) but because it's just about as much hassle 'properly' cleaning and waxing a car after a preliminary autobrush, than it is without a preliminary autobrush.

Bucket/Sponge/Chamois FTW indeed
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

There is a new hand car wash after opening in Tesco Clearwater shopping centre in finglas. They do a great job and it always comes out looking fab.

Never put your car through the brush wash it will ruin your paint and if not the first time then eventually it will damage the soft top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

There's multiple power washes at Texaco on the N4 Lucan beside Foxhunter Pub

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

There's a 24 hour car wash & valet place on the Greenhills road in Walkinstown, AFAIK they do a hand wash, they're meant to be v.good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

The Texaco on the lucan bypass does a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

biggus wrote: »
    There's multiple power washes at Texaco on the N4 Lucan beside Foxhunter Pub

This is what i use. Not only can i get a quick wash for €2 but the jet wash smells of bubblegum and changes colours. Cool!
    Comparing the wifes car where she always uses brush washes, i'll never go near one unless i i want swirly saint tracks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Ha, i put a Peugeot 307 hard top convertible through a power wash yesterday. Thank god i didn't stay in it, i would of got feckin drinched. It set of the alarm too.

Advertisement