Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish group 'Parc' wants GTA IV banned

• 07-05-2008 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭

Just read this in todays Motoring supplement to my amusement. 'Parc', Public Against Road Carnage, have written to the Film Censors Office asking for it to be banned because it 'glorifies drink driving.' Now this I expect from a US based group but not one based in Ireland. Other gems include that drunk driving in the game 'diminishes its horrific consequences' and 'I know there are car chases in fillms and games, but you got to start somewhere and with all the focus on drink driving in Ireland at the moment allowing this game seems inappropriate. And I know from my experience that boys under 18 are able to rent this game'.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's too late now, 90% of the people who want to buy it have bought it already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

Cremo wrote: »
    it's too late now, 90% of the people who want to buy it have bought it already.

They have probably just sobered up after a long weekend and realised the game was out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Two words...tough sh1t!! People like this just need to shut the fcuk up and get some perspective. Its a game you fcuking idiots, running over pixelated men is not the same as running over someone in real life. It doesn't glorify drunk driving, its just something you can do in the game. So please, get off your high horse, play the game and see for yourself, or just shut the fcuk up talking sh1t about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Video games don't kill people, drunk drivers kill people.

Solution: ban driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Funny how everyone's so concerned about the fact, that you can drink drive.

Drink driving is about the least illegal thing you can do in the game.

Anyway, this group is just giving Rockstar free publicity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

I'm sick of people like this! If I saw them I'd go over to them, pull them out of their car give them a beating to within an inch of their lives then run them over in their own car and zoom off to get rid of my wanted level!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

How does it glorify drink driving???

It shows how difficult it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Hmmh how does it glorify drink driving? Its illegal in the game to cause an accident, just like killing is illegal. If you wanted to play gta without killing people or drink driving you could, you wouldnt get far in the story and you would basicly just be driving around stopping at lights and enjoying the view...but you could do it,the players choice. Plus it never tells you in the game to drink drive it tells you to bring the NPC home...you could just walk.Because of this no one will ever successfully sue rockstar.FACT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

RAIN wrote: »
    Plus it never tells you in the game to drink drive it tells you to bring the NPC home...

And when you try to drink drive, either Niko or the game strongly advises against it. Niko will frequently reference that he should get a cab and shouldn't drive etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I go out of my way not to drive while drunk in the game. Sure the first time was funny but now its taxi all the way. Clearly someone going nuts over something they haven't experienced or they don't understand. The best kind of ignorance, double edged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭mrpants

they are sad feckers, they are just pissed coz they couldnt get a copy. i would love to pull them outta their cars, and drive over them and hop out again and rob thier money:cool:. get a life parc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Drink driving in the game is dangerous and has consequences which, like the drinking and the driving, are not real.

Why hasnt there been a surge in drink driving cases across the planet since this game was released? Why havent we seen so many underage drinkers driving while under the influence?
    Because it doesnt ****ing happen.

Any cases in life where an act of violence has been committed and made to mimic that of a game, the fact that the culprit has played the game is the least important factor. The persons education, their background, where they live and their upbringing tend to outweigh the whole game relation in the end.

The difficulties encountered in the game when drinking and driving allow people to see first hand, the potential damage.
    In the game, I dont bother driving after drinking. I just stumble around in the middle of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

heh - Its the only time the police in the game are on the ball is when you drink drive! Ahhh the irony!

I went drinking, got into my car, and about 300 police cars appeared!

I actually got out of the car, and stood there, not moving, wondering if I get arrested and brought to jail or what...

..and they shot me :cool:

It does'nt glorify it as if your spotted by the cops you'll be pursued.

I tried it the first time and quit and got a cab!!. Getting to a cab is hard enough!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭danbhala

I tried it the first time and quit and got a cab!!. Getting to a cab is hard enough!!:D

just like real life :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think you got the title of the post wrong:

Irish group 'Parc' wants free publicity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

This is mainly the reason why I snatched the game as early as I could – I had a feeling it would under serious ball busting from the media and don’t forget games have been edited down in Ireland in the past – ‘Manhunt’ and ‘Hitman’ to name a few.
    Its possible yet unlikely that an edited down version will come out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

they are going to talk about this soon on the last word, Today FM. no doubt itll be sad PARC fecker that never played the game VS a gamer you loves GTA and will use any excuse/fact under the sun! itll take more than some petty irish group to ban the biggest game in the world at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

as posted on boards a while back, here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-2055068745.html :
    Contact details for PARC are as follows: susangrayparc@eircom.net

annfogarty@eircom.net

Susan Gray 086-3773784

Ann Fogarty 087-9800062

if anyone wishes to make sensible, educated, coherrent points to them, email away

do NOT under any circumstances mail them with abuse, poorly made points, or swear words or youre going to be about as helpful as a hole in the head

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

Anyone notice anything about both email addresses? Yes, they're both women :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

I think its brilliant how all the focus on this game seems to be related to the drink driving aspect of it. Another group, in the states, MADD(mothers against drink driving) are up in arms about it too. So i can move the character to the top of a crane with a sniper rifle taking headshots at other characters but thats ok ya:confused::confused:
    Do these people honestly believe that people will think drink driving is cool or acceptable because a pixelated character in a game falls around a bit on screen.
    Im sure Parc do some good work but they are really barking up the wrong tree here. Its a GAME people, leave it be.

women with small brains

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,523 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

PARC are on the last word on Today FM now (5:20)

she just admitted she hasnt seen the game in action at all. she hasnt a clue...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,523 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

She was told that you could drink drive in the game (therefore game bad - ban game)
    But she knew nothing else about the game (including the fact that driving while drunk is very very difficult, and that you can get a taxi if you want).

Banning a game after it has sold half a billion copies is just retarted anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

you can drink drive in real life too

BAN REAL LIFE IN CASE ANYONE DRINK DRIVES!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

glory hunters seeking glory off the back of a giant.
    never would have guessed an irish organisation would have to stoop to such parasitical activities to get recognised.. well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Helix wrote: »
    as posted on boards a while back, here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-2055068745.html :

if anyone wishes to make sensible, educated, coherrent points to them, email away

do NOT under any circumstances mail them with abuse, poorly made points, or swear words or youre going to be about as helpful as a hole in the head

One thing I notice about this straight away is the fact that they both have Eircom email addresses. :rolleyes:

Surely if the game was not suitable then it wouldn't have made it past the IFCO, right? :)

As people have said before, you don't have to drive after drinking in the game. You can walk, or get a taxi. If anything, driving while drunk in the game is extremely difficult and although it's not real life it does kinda show how difficult it can be to concentrate. Which is why you shouldn't do it in real life. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

Joe Robot wrote: »
    it does kinda show how difficult it can be to concentrate. Which is why you shouldn't do it in real life. :)
    Ooh! Nicely twisted around, sir. Well played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Helix wrote: »
    you can drink drive in real life too

BAN REAL LIFE IN CASE ANYONE DRINK DRIVES!!!!!

He said drink drive, is he trying to glorify and promote drink driving????? Hm just to be on the safe side.
    BAN HIM TOO!!!

Advertisement