Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish group 'Parc' wants GTA IV banned

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

susan gray never said she lost a relative on today FM, and she was so desparately in need of excuses, she would have used it yesterday. this sounds like more desparation and even if its true(RIP) that should still have no connection to the game at all. PARC are losing more and more creditability. she read our e-mails, hasnt replied because she can't do so with real argument and has continued this campaign regardless. disgrace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

From now on, I think the collective communitys from forums around the world should make note of anything happening in real life, that can be done in a game.
    We should then make it out as if we are in uproar, but keep making a sarcastic big deal about everything and eventually the message will get across that its just silly to blame a game because one person in real life wasnt educated enough to know right from wrong.

Like, the next time a garda car is rammed or something, everyone should be like "OMFG, YOU CAN DO THAT IN A COMPUTER GAME, IT MUST be THE GAME"
    That will seem like a more serious comment, but we should keep doing it for more silly things.
    Next time theres discussions on how bad traffic is, be like "OMFG, YOU CAN BLOCK TRAFFIC IN A GAME I HEARD OF, BAN IT".

Maybe 4chan is the type of place to post that idea, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    susan gray never said she lost a relative on today FM, and she was so desparately in need of excuses, she would have used it yesterday. this sounds like more desparation and even if its true(RIP) that should still have no connection to the game at all. PARC are losing more and more creditability. she read our e-mails, hasnt replied because she can't do so with real argument and has continued this campaign regardless. disgrace

Totally agreed with you man. This PARC group seem so desperate to get someone behind them, they are willing to throw in sob stories to try and scrape some sort of support out of the public. I can only hope the radio stations stop giving this fool and her patethic organisation airtime. Surely there must be some law against slandering a product on national radio which you have never even used?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,523 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

DarkJager wrote: »
    I can only hope the radio stations stop giving this fool and her patethic organisation airtime.
    Hold on there, horsie... Her attempt to capitalise on the controversy was ill-conceived, and backfired somewhat due to lack of knowledge about the game and poor research.

However to call an organisation that aims to reduce death on the road "pathetic" makes no sense at all. Lets keep things in perspective here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I appreciate your viewpoint Mr E, but how can you possibly have any respect for an organisation that is so willing to throw itself into something it knows nothing about? Yes the road safety message is very important, but if thats the message they want to send out, thats the message they should stick to. This stupid stunt has lost them all credibility in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

faceman wrote: »
    What worries me most is that the most common and fun element of GTA is fighting with the cops and trying to escape yet no one seems to want to complain about that!

That's what I can't figure out either. Every time a GTA game comes out there are always people trying to get it banned for one reason or another. Previously it was running over pedestrians, beating up hookers, gunning people down on the street etc. I never would have guessed that this time its the drink driving that's the main issue.

I'd say that R* are pleasantly surprised that the drink driving thing is getting all the media coverage and deflecting attention away from all the other stuff they've gotten abuse for in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Recordings or it didn't happen.
    Ah usted maricón!!! Ah I'll just heve to do it again then so... does anybody know were I can buy on of those recoder thingys?

So no replies from her yet, no?

no reply yet. i doubt its coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

DarkJager wrote: »
    I wasn't attacking you mehfesto! Sorry if it seemed that way :). I'm just pissed off that this obviously clueless woman is harping on about something she knows fcuk all about, and then tries to back up her cause by linking it to the death of a relative from drink driving. This is just a desperate attempt to garner support. I hope this PARC group disapear and are never heard of again. They are patethic.

Hold up there. I was reading this thread and agreeing with most of it until I came across yours. You're taking this far too seriously, and you're quite arrogant in your attitude over your last few posts.
    Anyone would think that the game was from a poor little innocent child trying to make money to survive and Susan was some bully beating on it.
    Susan may have gotten the wrong end of the stick, she may be thinking of kids playing a computer game that depicts drink driving as an every day thing to do. She's wrong in this instance, but her aim is basically good. Do you know what it's like to loose someone to a drunk driving selfish idiot? Answer honestly now, and don't pretend you do just to invalidate my argument.
    You have your copy of GTA4, I have mine, as to millions of people, Rockstar have their billions of dollars, so let this woman do what she feels is best for stamping drink driving out in this country. Lambasting her company who are out to save lives is stupid. Even if she is trying to gain publicity, it's publicity for the right cause, even if it's for the wrong reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Cosmonaut

Hey guys,

I was the other interviewee on Matts show yesterday, I hope i did somewhat of a good job representing the views of the gaming community. Naturally your only given a small window (in this case i only had 1 link to talk in too) so you have to pick your aguments carefully and make sure they come across correctly. Its a lot harder than most people assume, but i hope I did a good job.

I sent Susan and her co-workers at PARC an email outlining a few issues i had with their action against the IFCO but most of the email addresses (including the one i had for her) cam back rejected as they were closed down. Guess they dont get much work done.

For those of you that missed it, the interview can be listened to here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jqaqxeFUCg

Same as the other lads, if i get a reply from anybody at PARC ill be sure to update ye here on the GTA board.
    Hi Susan,

My name is Danny O'Dwyer, and i was talking alongside you today on The Last Word. As i said before i appreciate the work PARC do, and i believe it is important, but I just wanted to raise a few more points about Grand Theft Auto and Video Gaming itself as i feel you are somewhat misguided.

1) GTA-IV is not banned in Australia and it never was at any stage. A single scene was ommited my Rockstar North (the developers) of their own account. This scene was of violent nature and had no reference to drinking or driving in it.

2) The average age of a video game player in the world today is 33. The game in question will primarily be sold to adults between 18 and 30 (as that is the install base of the 2 consoles it is being sold on).

3) Shops and rental outlets are taking the launch of the game very seriously. In my own locallity i know from my own experience that it is impossible to get the game without showing identification. I used to work in retail and this is standard practise for a game of this nature. Naturally there are bad eggs that dont heed by the guidlines, but we cannot afford to ban a game based on the shortcomings of a different system.

4) Games dont get "banned" in Ireland. The body in controll of game classification (the IFCO) can only refuse classification. Since the game has already been classified it will not be banned or re-classified. There is no precedent naturally as the IFCO carefully gives classification based on an informed, well-rounded and educated view of the game in question.

On a personal note i believe it is not in the best interest of your organisation to make ill-informed and old fashioned statements about a media that are aimed toward and primarily sold to adults. It patronising to the people who enjoy video games and makes a mockery of your organisation in the public domain. Dispite what many tabloid media would have you believe, video games can be fantastic fun and educational tools for people of all generations. I would also like to say that parents who buy these games for underage children are as irrisponsible as the ones who dont monitor their childs activities within their house. The games industry is not at fault if video games are sold to underage children, to whom the the games are neither designed or marketed towards.

I wish you the best in your work in the future and hope that you will transfer your engery towards GTA-IV a more worthy cause.

Kind Regards,
    - Danny O'Dwyer
    www.citizengame.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Well done Nr. O' Dwyer, you got staight in the balls! :)

well done, danny. you were pretty good on the radio and stayed quite calm. it was a huge pity that Susan Gray got the last word on the argument and the fact that Matt Cooper didn't attack her views a bit more but that was out of your control. your e-mail is very good too. good work lads!

ps-i havent got an email failure notice yet so i presume she has received the email i sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

Just listening to the interview at the moment. Jaysus, yer one hasn't a clue. She obviously did no research on the game before she went on the radio.

And well done Danny. You did a great job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

faceman wrote: »
    Needless to say i wont be doing it again. It was an utterly pointless activity.
    it's not utterly pointless if you take Michelle on a date to a bar and get her drunk.

she's a second dater. ;)

Advertisement