Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HFC Bank

Options
  • 07-05-2008 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

This post has been deleted.

A. No idea why you signed up to a HP agreement when you had the money, their an insane idea !

B. I advise you contact this crowd and explain the situation:
    General Enquiries

Financial Regulator
    P.O. Box 9138
    College Green
    Dublin 2.

Phone: +353 1 4104000
    Fax: +353 1 4104900

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

HFC is the bank section of DSG (Dixons, Currys, PC World). Iv never had any problems with them but I used to work in PC World.

Since you are getting no joy from HFC, go back to the Currys you got the stuff from and talk to the manager. They can talk to HFC for you or go through the head office which can sort it. Try to avoid going in at the weekend as they may be too busy to deal with it all there and then, and the head office will be closed.

Bring in all the details you have and the manager should sort it out for you. Remember to mention your dads credit rating getting messed up.

From the sound of it your application should have been rejected straight away. The name on the IDs has to be exactly the same as the one on the bill. Were you asked for a bill? If it went through the system the admin of the store should have spotted it when going through the paperwork and got in touch with you within about a week.

PM me if you have any questions

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Although maybe not very helpful, next time one rings be abusive as feck to them and say you want to speak to a supervisor, stay on the phone till you get one, rinse and repeat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

HFC is the bank section of DSG (Dixons, Currys, PC World). Iv never had any problems with them but I used to work in PC World.

Since you are getting no joy from HFC, go back to the Currys you got the stuff from and talk to the manager. They can talk to HFC for you or go through the head office which can sort it. Try to avoid going in at the weekend as they may be too busy to deal with it all there and then, and the head office will be closed.

Bring in all the details you have and the manager should sort it out for you. Remember to mention your dads credit rating getting messed up.

From the sound of it your application should have been rejected straight away. The name on the IDs has to be exactly the same as the one on the bill. Were you asked for a bill? If it went through the system the admin of the store should have spotted it when going through the paperwork and got in touch with you within about a week.

PM me if you have any questions

HFC are not the financial arm of DSG they are owned by HSBC, they are a seperate bank who offer hire purchase facilities to a wide range of companies. I work for O2 retail and we used to use them.

Going back to the manager in Curries will do nothing, even if they called HFC they would be told that HFC will only discuss the account with your father (it would be a breach of the Data Protection for them to discuss it with anyone other that your father.

You're best bet is to send them are harshly worded letter, threatening to go to the Financial regulator and the Ombudsman for credit instituations unless you hear from them within a reasonable timescale (ten working days sounds fair enough when you consider the postal service). Either send the letter by registered mail or if you are in Dublin you could drop it in by hand their head office is on Mount St.

I'd a similiar problem with MBNA a few years ago, if you want more info feel free to PM me, I may still have a copy of the letter I sent them.

Cunning Alias, it'd be helpful to post the correct information when posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Your father should first check his credit report to see if HFC are black marking him. If they are, then he may need to get on to the UK financial regulator, if HFC are indeed owned by HSBC. He might also need a Solicitor to threaten them with legal action if they don't remove the false mark.

I'd also imagine, that since they believe the payments are not being made, that they're also applying the 30% interest to the entire amount. HFC are an organisation that should never, ever, be used by anyone. You really need to have your eyes open before entering into any agreement with them, though in this case I see that even that didn't help.

Just found this on their website
    HFC Bank Limited is regulated by the UK Financial Services Authority and we are authorised to conduct business in Ireland by the Irish Financial Regulator. We also comply with procedures laid down by the Irish Financial Services Ombudsman.
    Might be worth trying to contact the Irish Financial Services Ombudsman too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

They are also known as the Household Bank. They have/did have an office in the square, Tallaght. Look them up and go into them. You have every right to be annoyed over this. I have used them a few times and have always found them fine. Do not ring them again, go into them with your paperwork and sort it out in person.

http://www.hfcbank.ie/html/branchlocator.html

Sorry OP, I also meant to say with regards to your Dad and his credit card.

It could be worth him getting in touch with the the credit card company and explaining what has happened. If it is down to the issue with HFC I'd be surprised if they we're prepared to help once you are prepared to forward on the supporting bank statements.

It would definetly be worth him getting his details checked with the Irish Credit Union, they won't change any details unless the bank ask them too, but they may be able to advise you on how to handle it if there is incorrect information on it. The report is only a couple of euro and very easy to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

craichoe wrote: »
    A. No idea why you signed up to a HP agreement when you had the money, their an insane idea !

No they're not. Using interest free hire purchase agreements is a great way to build up a good credit rating. Assuming, of course, you don't end up in the OP's bizarre situation.

Have you tried photocopying your bank statements with the HFC payments highlighted, and sending it to them via registered post?

I would second the idea of complaining to the financial regulator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I used to work for them in the UK (call centre :D) and they are now owned by HSBC. I know when I worked there the retail financing was separate from the branch network so I doubt approaching a branch in Dublin would get you anywhere.

You really need to speak to one of the collections managers and not the advisors who make the calls. Or put it in writing. They have an exec complaints department so you can write straight to them (I believe if you address it to the Director/CEO if automatically bypasses regular complaints and goes straight to exec. complaints). It would be no harm to include a copy of a statement highlighting the payments going out if you can (you can blank out everything else) and explain in detail the situation so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

What may have happened is that the payments are coming from an account in your name and the loan account is in your fathers name. As the names don't match their systems may be rejecting the credits.

What you must do is the following - phone calls to call centre staff are totally useless as they have no authority.

Get a copy of each statement with the payment to HFC highlighted.

Write to HFC bank and send via registered post. - Have both your father & yourself sign the letter (he is the customer in this case)

Explaing how you are getting the phonecalls, explain that all payment have been made on time (bank statement included).
    Ask for the phone calls to be stopped.
    Ask for confirmation that the account is in order
    Ask for confirmation that their error has in no way affected your / your father's credit rating
    Ask for confirmation that any notification to Irish Credit Bureau & any other credit reference agencies will be amended within 14 days.

Inform them that a copy of this letter has been sent to the Financial Ombudsman and that you also expect a monetary sum in compensation for the distress this has caused.

Finally tell them that if you do not receive a satisfactory reply within 14 days that you will ask the financial ombudsman to investigate the case.

Send copy of letter with covering letter to financial ombudsman.

Finally - don't buy from Currys / PC World / Dixons.

US Company BEST BUY is coming soon!!! - Yippeee - bye bye dixons!! www.bestbuy.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

You've clearly never seen any posts online about Best Buy :)

Not to mention that they are coming in under CPW, who closely aspire to the same levels of service as DSG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Palgrave

They are quick to bombard people with phone calls night and day and weekends if a payment is late - this practice is probably illegal.

Any rational discussion with the muppets on the other side of the phone is pointless.

EARLIER this month, the British bank, HFC Bank, was fined almost stg£1.1m (€1.5m) for mis-selling payment protection insurance. Also known as PPI, this insurance repays some or all of a loan if a borrower cannot work because they fall ill or lose their job. This was the biggest PPI fine ever imposed by the British financial watchdog, the Financial Services Authority (FSA).

I think this says it all about this "Bank"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Please do not drag up old threads.

Thread closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement