Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT and Engine Diagnostic light

Options
  • 07-05-2008 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

I have an '02 Skoda Octavia 1.8T auto due for NCT on Friday. The engine diagnostic light has just come on and isn't going off.

Is this an automatic NCT fail?

It's a non-specific light that could mean nothing. Car is fine other than that. Just wondering if I need to bother getting it looked at beforehand.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I doubt the light itself could lead to a fail, I'm open to correction though, but the causes of it may do. The engine diagnostic light on my Octavia comes on now and again due to a short in a lamda sensor, doesn't affect the car at all but it may fail come NCT time due to high emissions unless I replace it before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

+1
    The light is a sign that something is wrong somewhere, the problem is that it may put the engine management into a kind of restricted or default mode, in this case the emissions could be affected.
    TBH, if I were you I'd go ahead with the test anyway, worst case scenario you fail and they tell you why, you've then got a month to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

yeah I think I'll just send it through the test.

Thanks guys!

Advertisement