Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2.0l petrol Santa fe?

Options
  • 07-05-2008 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Anyone have any experience with the hyundai santa fe?
    My old beast, a 1996 suzuki vitara 2.0l petrol died last week and i am looking at a 2002 2.0ltr petrol santa fe?
    I wont be pulling anything so the 2wd is grand, i just need a big high boot for my dogs and this is the only thing that has really caught my eye to be honest.
    Any recommendations/views/comments?
    Anyone out there know if the fuel consumption would be similar to the vitara as they are both a 2ltr petrol?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Hi,

The mpg would be available at honestjohn.co.uk as well as a SH review of this suv. They are a sturdy wee suv, soft suspension and quite reliable. One of my and our vehicles is a Tucson that my wife drives and quite likes.
    The petrol version is hard to shift in the second hand market - near impossible infact - most people go for the diesul unit.
    Wiper motors fail on them - check all the electrics...press every single button inside. Check the suspension too for wear on the bushings........they can fail too @ NCT.
    My mate a few years back had a 2.0litre petrol one for sale for over 6 months and in the end had to sell it off for cash for 5k less than his starting price that he went to market with.........bad news if you are going to sell it on in a few years..............but GREAT news if you are going to drive it into the ground till it dies like your suzuki......haggle hard out there and get a bargain. Spot a petrol one if you can that has been on sale for ages somewhere and/or a private seller desperate to shift one.
    Best of luck with the search.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I had a 05 Diesel version (same shape etc). Was not too bad on the juice.
    Would you not get a diesel? Diesel may be more expensive now but Diesel engines usually have much better fuel efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Two of my friends have had them and both complained of very poor MPG, one of my friends reckoned he was getting 22MPG max.

Most of the first series were 2.0 petrol and most are only 2wd so if you need to go off road you'd better bring wellies and a tow rope.

Other than that I reckon they are reliable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

There seems to be a huge variation between prices of diesel and petrol Santa Fe.

I reckon the petrol ones are great value second hand and makes for cheap SUV driving.

To me theres no way you can justify the huge premium for the diesel model unless your doing huge milage in a year. Especially now diesel prices are so high at the pumps.

After all it would cost the same to tax and insure both models.

I'd also guess the petrol version would be abit more lively on the road as well

Advertisement