Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Better Road bike for this price??

Options
  • 07-05-2008 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi there

Had my Trek 1000 stolen. Need to get a replacement road bike asap. Im not a huge cyclist but i do miss the road bike.

Im about to get this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=14991

I know it is nothing special and wont be on par with my 1000 but im pretty strapped on cash now. Its reduced to 319pounds comes to about EUR407 delivered..

Does anyone know of a better road bike/deal I could get for that price??
    I dont really have taht much time to shop around and Im 6ft 3 which means finding a used bike to suit is fairly tricky.

Any advice welcome!! Many thanks:)

PS_ Im hoping to only have to use this bike for around 5/6 months by which time I have enough cash to upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

They've been recommended around here a few times lately, and seem to be great bang for the buck

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Ecocabbie

thats certainly good news anyway thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I would consider the Giant SCR 4 from Wiggle which they have left in extra large (6'3"-6'6"). Lower groupset but Wiggle properly set up the bikes while CRC just ship the box on.

If you are mechanically inclined the BeOne from CRC would be a safe bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cowan

The scr4 is a great bike, i bought one myself, but the one they have on wiggle, thats the 07 one, the 08 one i about 150 more in cycleways...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

i was looking at this bike for my beloved GF. is there much difference between a mens and a woman's bike? Also she's 5'7 odd. would the 50cm be ok? or what should i be looking for really frame wise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Bambaata wrote: »
    i was looking at this bike for my beloved GF. is there much difference between a mens and a woman's bike? Also she's 5'7 odd. would the 50cm be ok? or what should i be looking for really frame wise?

I'm 5' 7" and bought a 50cm recently and it's fine for me. She should go to a bike shop that sells Giant Bikes and try one out for size to be sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Ecocabbie: Friend bought this bike 4 weeks ago. No problems and excellent value. Looks great in the flesh.

Bambaata: As regards size, I too am 5' 7 (male) and I ride 51 and 52 cm frames. 50 probably will be ok Just as important is the top tube measurement as this will determine the reach. So if your gf has short arms! then go for the 50. If not then the 53 would be a more comfortable size to ride. ( Lance Armstrong always rode a frame one size bigger than his measured size! ) The stem can always be changed to suit her reach.

Advertisement