Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal drill bit advice please

Options
  • 07-05-2008 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Trying to drill extra holes into an Abloy latch plate which I think is made from extra strength/hardened metal. Have tried all my usual HSS metal drill bits, but hardly making a dent. I not surprised as the lock that goes with this latch/striking plate is about €390 so I presume its meant to be fairly robost. Ive included a picture but my one only has two holes and not four.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

If the HSS bits arent getting anywhere at all, you will be better off getting yourself a tungsten carbide bit or two. they should drill most anything and keep their points well

but before spending the cash on new bits, are you sure the HSS bits are sharp? and did you try drilling a much smaller hole first?
    either might help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Cheers for the advice Mawk, will check out those bits. Yeah tried a small bit first-2mil but did not do much. I think its the metal its made of as the HSS bits normal will do the job.

Advertisement