Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keen Interest

Options
  • 07-05-2008 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hey,

I know you've probably dealt with this query a few times by now but i couldnt really find any threads posted to really answer my questions.

I am looking to get into shooting mainly target shooting but just dont know how.

I live in Southside Dublin and was wondering does anyone know any Gun Clubs in the area to start me down the right path. I feel the only real way to get into this sport is to learn off experienced members quite obviously.

Down the line i hope to get a gun licence but would rather get a feel for the sport before needlessly applying or would anyone suggest i just apply anyway beacause of the seemingly long waiting times - maybe im also being quite naive as im sure they dont just hand them out.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated

Kind Regards,

Lay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MortgageMan

Try Hilltop, just outside Newtownmountkennedy.

Call Pat on 01 2818025 to arrange a time to call up and try the club guns etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

There are a good handful of very well equipped clubs within a short trot of south Dublin, including Hilltop, ECSC, Rathdrum RPC, Dublin Rifle Club to name but a few. This wiki has a more complete list, and includes details about the various clubs as well, to help you make up your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

And if you're a student, alumni or staff member in UCD or TCD, you can join their on-campus shooting clubs as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Layderkinn

Hey,

Yeah the only one thats local is UCD and im not a student or alumini i play rugby for UCD but its an open club, Trinity is the same. I've emailed both clubs so see if there is any way to apply as an outside member or is there any exception they can make.

The ones in wicklow are just too far away to pay the membership and joining fee and also their times dont suit at all it would eb a waste of money to get down like once a month....Work comes first unfortunately.

In relation to the gun licence do you need certain requirements to apply or can you just go down to your local Garda Station pick up an application and apply?.
    Im sure theres more to it and i'd like to know if there is.

Thanks Again,

Lay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Layderkinn wrote: »
    Hey,

Yeah the only one thats local is UCD and im not a student or alumini i play rugby for UCD but its an open club, Trinity is the same. I've emailed both clubs so see if there is any way to apply as an outside member or is there any exception they can make.
    No is the short answer. They are very strict about this because of insurance.
    The ones in wicklow are just too far away to pay the membership and joining fee and also their times dont suit at all it would eb a waste of money to get down like once a month....Work comes first unfortunately.
    How do times not suit? I'm not sure about Hilltop or East Coast, but in Rathdrum all members have keys and can come and go whenever they want.
    In relation to the gun licence do you need certain requirements to apply or can you just go down to your local Garda Station pick up an application and apply?.
    Im sure theres more to it and i'd like to know if there is.
    There is more. You need to have a 'good reason', membership of a club would be a good reason as well as hunting. You need to have somewhere to safely store your firearm and be of 'good character'. :)

There's also BRC in Bohernabreena (near Tallaght).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

Layderkinn wrote: »

Lay

If you want a gun call your local Garda station ask to talk to the Firearm officer. He will tell you what they will want you do before given out a firearm cert.

They could ask you to get a gun safe, join a club that will let you shoot that type of gun might ask for an alarm on your house. If you want to use the gun to hunt then they will want permission from land owners.

A shotgun or .22LR are the 2 types of guns most shoots start out with so might be best to look at these.

Advertisement