Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with the Forum

Options
  • 07-05-2008 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

Just incase you were sick of hearing my voice (seeing my text?) !!!

It has been brought to my attention by a few users of the forum that it has taken a turn for the worst. It might be no harm to bash out a few grievances on a thread here where we can see the problems. I for one would like to think this forum is a friendly and helpful place and if some people are no longer posting here well then it should be at least looked at.
    Some of the issues that have been brought to my attention are:

1. The forum is not an attractive posting area for the more experienced engineers/producers.

2. There is an attitude in the forum that alienates budding engineers/producers from asking questions.

3. The forum may have become a name-dropping arena where posters are afraid to post if they are not attached to some big names

4. New posters are not paying enough attention to the guides posted by the likes of CornBB. This means we end up answering the same questions numerous times.

These are the jist of the things I have been getting messages about. It would be no harm discussing what we feel is the problem but more importantly what is the solution.

I want a good clean fight! Please no names or personal insults as this is a dodgy thread to start so warnings/infractions/bans will be issued straight away so take this as your 1st and 2nd warning.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Can of worms here. The behaviour of some has turned me right off this board in the last while, and it would appear to be the same 5 or 6 posters all the time now, which can't be a good thing. Quite frankly it's a boring place to visit nowadays, I'll chime in the occasional time but I find myself starting to type a reply to a thread then thinking "ah why bother" before heading off elsewhere.

Not sure what to suggest really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

TBH after the whole he is using this place to sell ****e crap a few months back I have tuned out of looking in here.

I don't feel people are afraid to ask questions. Some people feel the need to drop names so be it.

I do think people have the cop on not to take things the wrong way!

There is still treads getting started on the wrong forums and they don't get moved to where they'd get the best help etc.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055287958

The petty fighting is just childish. There are many much larger forums that have mainly nothing but FT pro's and they are not heavy modded, simple cause there is no need. The know the rules and stick to them.

TBH there is not enough of anything. Emmm, thats a deep statement :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

If personal insults are used i think there has to be some modding done. All name calling or smart comments does is cause anger and then some party is probably going to get banned and that does nothing for anyone. I agree people dont stick by the rules.

I personally think that a Why bother outlook by a lot of members is why there is not enough of anything. Why bother replying to a simple post about a soundcard but is that not what the forum is about? Why bother ask a question about something you dont understand but thats why your here. Anyone who says they know it all and have seen it all in this industry is a liar. That reasoning allows for some good discussion no matter what level you are on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

sei046 wrote: »
    Why bother ask a question about something you dont understand but thats why your here
    It's not why I'm here bud, I go to other sites for that.

I don't remember anything descending into personal insults about anyone, but I maintain there was a gagging order in place preventing what was a needed discussion at the time. I don't want to re-open old wounds, but suffice to say the whole thing was not handled very professionally at all. If you want to consider yourself "Pro Audio" you have to damn well act "Pro".

Well Tbh im here to discuss things i dont know about or get answers about something i dont know about. If I post and i dont get a reply well then I know that no one has experience in it. If i get replys that are no good to me I have lost nothing.

I wouldnt like to think someone knew the answer to my question and wouldnt bother telling me. I vaguely remember "the needed discussion" but TBH not enough to make a point on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

I don't post here much but I do read most of the topics. I've learned a lot by reading questions and replies over the last two years or so. But I do come across a good bit of name dropping. I've no issue with it outside the forum. I have name dropped about clients, sessions, places etc... to friends and people I've met randomly. But there is a line. I've no problem with people being proud of their proffession like I am but this forum is for those working in the music production / recording industry and those who are interested in it. So I don't see any reason to name drop here. We all know many people around here have worked with the biggest acts. Sorry about the rant but it just gets on my nerves when I see obvious name dropping between posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Just to add some humor to this thread I will make up an example of name dropping not that it bothers me :

EGO MAN:
    'So I was in with Bob the other day'

Boards average Joe:
    'Yeah how did it go?'

EGO MAN:
    'Good yeah. I couldn't believe how cool he was'

Boards average Joe:
    'Your talking about Joe smith the average singer from the South, right?'

EGO MAN:
    'No you twat! Bob as in Bob Geldof, you know 'tell me why I don't like Mondays and all that '

Boards average Joe:
    (Inside Average JOE's taught)
    God I don't know anyone famous, baste%$ thinks he knows everyone'

EGO MAN:
    'You are like so inexperienced in the recording game you idiot, get lost!'

Boards average Joe:
    'And when you said you got guitar lessons from Jimmy, you surely didn't mean Jimmy Hendrix did you?'

EGO MAN:
    'God no, I meant Jimmy page, we are best friends, we grew up together and what not'....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

dav nagle wrote: »
    Just to add some humor to this thread I will make up an example of name dropping not that it bothers me :

EGO MAN:
    'So I was in with Bob the other day'

Boards average Joe:
    'Yeah how did it go?'

EGO MAN:
    'Good yeah. I couldn't believe how cool he was'

Boards average Joe:
    'Your talking about Joe smith the average singer from the South, right?'

EGO MAN:
    'No you twat! Bob as in Bob Geldof, you know 'tell me why I don't like Mondays and all that '

Boards average Joe:
    (Inside Average JOE's taught)
    God I don't know anyone famous, baste%$ thinks he knows everyone'

EGO MAN:
    'You are like so inexperienced in the recording game you idiot, get lost!'

Boards average Joe:
    'And when you said you got guitar lessons from Jimmy, you surely didn't mean Jimmy Hendrix did you?'

EGO MAN:
    'God no, I meant Jimmy page, we are best friends, we grew up together and what not'....

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Some of the issues that have been brought to my attention are:

1. The forum is not an attractive posting area for the more experienced engineers/producers.

I'm not sure that's true, but I'd personally like to hear what other guys are at. I know, as I know some of the people involved, that guys are doing interesting things - but there seems to be a 'fear' amongst guys that they'll be judged negatively for enjoying and sharing on a forum that is, after all, named 'Music Production'. I remember a cool post from Trackmixstudio about a band he did - I'd love to hear more of that kind of thing from other guys who I KNOW are doing it, but fail to contribute.

2. There is an attitude in the forum that alienates budding engineers/producers from asking questions.

I've not felt that and have regularly contributed to answering some pretty basic questions. However there does seem to be great repetition in that side - I'd love to see a NEWBIE ZONE where even the most basic of basic question is not just welcomed, but encouraged. I remember when I started in studios I didn't even know what an XLR plug was, I'd never seen one! Everyone must start somewhere.

3. The forum may have become a name-dropping arena where posters are afraid to post if they are not attached to some big names

'Afraid to post'? Come on lads, how are you going to succeed in the cut throat world of music if you're 'afraid to post' on a forum ? Get a grip will ya?

4. New posters are not paying enough attention to the guides posted by the likes of CornBB. This means we end up answering the same questions numerous times.

I feel that is the case.

Any opinions?

I'd love to hear more of what lads are doing. Gawd knows I let you know what I'm at!!

Alright lads. So lets rock on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I personally don't have any issues with the forum as it stands and it doesn't seem to me like there are any individuals or groups who do either. I think there is quite a good mix of levels on the board and as I always say this years creative soundblaster is next years digi 003 is the year afters PT HD. Begineers are welcome. Experts are welcome. It's all good. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

PaulBrewer wrote: »

'Afraid to post'? Come on lads, how are you going to succeed in the cut throat world of music if you're 'afraid to post' on a forum ? Get a grip will ya?

But Paul give baba back his bokkle!

dav nagle wrote: »

But Paul give baba back his bokkle!

Dav, you'll never be afraid to post!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I personally think that a Why bother outlook by a lot of members is why there is not enough of anything. Why bother replying to a simple post about a soundcard but is that not what the forum is about? Why bother ask a question about something you dont understand but thats why your here. Anyone who says they know it all and have seen it all in this industry is a liar. That reasoning allows for some good discussion no matter what level you are on

Exactly! Everybody is constantly learning. Regardless of what level you are at in your career there will always be something new to learn or a different technique that you haven't seen before, new technology and so on...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

The potential for varying levels of knowledge was always going to be on the cards as the board grew traffic. That's why I put it in the charter, right after the bit where you have to be nice to people! Maybe we should change RTFM to RTFC with C charter.:rolleyes:
    • No personal attacks or offensive remarks. Let’s be nice to each other round here. Warnings will be followed by bans for offenders.
    • All levels of knowledge are welcome from the most advanced to the most basic. By answering simple questions and helping learners we grow our community. If you reeaaaally need to tell someone to RTFM, do it nicely!

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

I still read the board almost every day, I just don't post as often anymore, all them bad vibrations a while back put me off a little.

Soundman wrote: »
    Exactly! Everybody is constantly learning. Regardless of what level you are at in your career there will always be something new to learn or a different technique that you haven't seen before, new technology and so on...

I agree, I don't think anyone has disagreed!

However, I think that for the forum to develop and be of interest to anyone who has anything above basic knowledge it must have posts that challange aand make one think (Just like Judas100's did for me-Thanks J!)

A downside of this progression (which I believe IS vital) is that if the overall level of discussion is raised above the most basic of info then a by product of that is that some guys may feel 'out of their league' or that those post don't relate to them.

In the interests of NOT alienating ANYONE - but at the same time allowing the Forum to progress, as I feel it must, I've suggested a Newbie Stickie Thread where the stated aim is to help anyone with the most basic of question.

The aim is not to subdivide, alienate but ENCOURAGE. At the same time to return to where the vast majority of posts are about basic stuff is a retrograde step.

I know I've learned a fair bit here, namely I've bought Drumagog and Echoboy plugins on reference from guys here and other Fora.

Similarly the regular talk of API has had me examine that as a brand I need to supply in Ireland.

So to clarify -

1. I think the Forum must progress and by that I mean attract more and more experience posters.

2 . This should not be done at anyones expense .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Is this STILL going on? Do we actually generate enough traffic here to be this self-conscious? I'd like to see the forum grow. As it stands we have the regulars who fight amongst themselves over threads like this, and the randomers that drop in to ask what the best mic for recording rap for under a hundred euro is (okay, so I exaggerate a little bit). Is it really necessary to make a song and dance over these perceived 'issues'? Are people making a ton of complaints or something?

Anyway, I gotta go, I have lunch planned with Macca and Ringo.

TelePaul wrote: »
    Is this STILL going on? Do we actually generate enough traffic here to be this self-conscious? I'd like to see the forum grow. As it stands we have the regulars who fight amongst themselves over threads like this, and the randomers that drop in to ask what the best mic for recording rap for under a hundred euro is (okay, so I exaggerate a little bit). Is it really necessary to make a song and dance over these perceived 'issues'? Are people making a ton of complaints or something?

Anyway, I gotta go, I have lunch planned with Macca and Ringo.

Blame Dave for starting it!

Hey! Blame people for Pming ME! Thats the last time I take the rap ya feckers

• Advertisement

Blame Dave for starting it!

Is Dave sei046? I thought Cornbb was mod? I'm so confused.

I took over as dictator. And to quite dramatic effect I might add!

I do suggest however people also send a few messages frobishers way also because then
    1. I dont have to do as much reading
    2. He is much more diplomatic than me

I took over as dictator. And to quite dramatic effect I might add!

Cool cool. Nice to meet ya. Did the powers that be indicate that a change was necessary? Are people actually worried about us over here in our little music production corner?

No! Sure CornB was the man at the aul modding. He just was finding it hard to get the time. Myself Fro, Karl and Lucutus are here at the min.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

I just want to ask something... i don't want to be a nuisance, but want to keep bumping my collab thread to catch anyone out there for projects etc...

Is this ok?

The reason i keep head hunting is that i have a lot of time and patience for starting projects and have always been doing this through the years (teaching peeps, passing on the knowledge - as the modern music computing is a nightmare) - I scrape by doing this as a dayjob so use the opportunity to it's max :)

I'm no messer, never quit etc...

Just hope i don't annoy the music production regulars! - (i visit daily to always see if there's something i can help with - sometimes badly!)

I dont see anything wrong with that! I think its always tough to get lads to do a collab on here (thats why i originally asked for this forum!) as most of the lads are actually quite busy (arguing j/k)

Hey! Blame people for Pming ME! Thats the last time I take the rap ya feckers

Take da rough with the smooth Guv'nor!!

ah theres nothing i love more than stirring ****e its ok!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Thanks :) - i've found a few people so far (i won't name names etc...)

But so far all good things! - it's nice to get outside influences as a musician and most people who i've come into contact with have left their mark on me and vice versa (even if it's just teaching)

:) i love boards :)

Advertisement