Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with the Forum

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I still read the board almost every day, I just don't post as often anymore, all them bad vibrations a while back put me off a little.

Niall, you shouldn't let what scrapes other people (me?) get into effect your postings. What ever tiffs there were in the past are over as far as I'm concerned.

Posts from you ( and guys like you) are exactly what are needed in my opinion. You (and guys like you) represent the future of recording in Ireland coming as you have from a recent(ish) college background into the Pro arena.

Please share your experiences!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Thats good stuff. Might be good to hear how the collabs went when you have something done? There really is nothing more satisfying about learning something in pro audio. thats a result in my eyes.

I love working with people i usually wouldnt because its a great sanity check. Its so easy to get some notion into your head when someone else can turn it upside down and you feel " AHHHH! That makes sense! " whether it be the way you record something or how you deal with people. I know i learned a lot about how to deal with people from playing music and meeting experienced lads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

So just to be clear, we're not going down the route of total reform a la the Lisbon Agenda?

Yup. I dont think that was realy the issue but you have to let people bash these things out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Yep, i can give details - right down to the systematics involved etc... i'll make a larger post with intermittant links to mp3 during the stages (with the other peoples permission) showing progression etc...

This will take time of course ;) - but will message you with preview and you can decide what to do with it :)

• Advertisement

Definitely sounds good. The original collab was going well but it never finished

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

sei046 wrote: »
    I do suggest however people also send a few messages frobishers way also because then
    1. I dont have to do as much reading
    2. He is much more diplomatic than me

I'd much rather people used the forum for any discussions. If it's feedback then there's a forum for that. I think some forums are run different than others on boards but I've always personally felt that it's the posters who create the forum, not the mods. Mods are there for when posters go postal and to propel the forum forward when needed. PM'ing a mod to convince or lobby something won't do a thing. That's my take on it anywhos.

If a mod needs to be PM'ed, cool, but I don't think that it genuinely needs to happen that much. We're all *ahem* mature responsible adults round here.

In relation to the mod-ship, cornbb wished to step down so he suggested sei046 as a replacement in the moderators forum. Sei046 agreed et voila. On my own front, I recently made the jump from having a job to doing music full time so I'll be hanging round here more often again. Although not too much, there's also that small business of writing, playing and recording music to attend too....:p

The idea of a sticky for noobs gear advice is a good idea if it's needed but it doesn't seem that way to me. The moment it is needed is the moment I think it should happen. A while back it was needed for general recording advice and so we created a getting started sticky. Worked a treat. Until we need the same for a noobs gear advice sticky I think we're fine, they aren't exactly cluttering us up just yet. If someone wants a forum for just beginners then should look elsewhere, if someone wants a forum just for pros then they should look elsewhere. Inclusion is built into the charter, our own wee constitution. Boards.ie has a huge amount of traffic from all sorts of people some of whom may want some pointers on basics, it's inevitable and they're welcome in my book. Obviously I'd love more talk about the nuts and bolts of pro sessions that I can learn and share on but I think there should be comfortable room for both.

Music production is about more than what big artists you've worked with, what multi €000 gear you have in your studio or what behringer pre you have with flashing lights that will make you sound like your heros. And in a nutshell I think this forum should represent everything.

On a personal level, if there's one thing I'd love to see more of here it is the artistic and musical side of music production being discussed. The most important element in any music production is usually the artist, not the studio or the producer. But it gets left out round here. But hey, nothing's perfect :o

Another thing I'd like to see is an end to this discussion. I don't think a single thing has been added that wasn't covered last time round. And despite what some people seem to think, repetition doesn't make things more right. Let's all make some music then come back and talk and share our adventures. Ready, steady..... go!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'd agree with frobisher, I don't necessarily see the need to take action to address any perceived issues here. If anyone thinks anything should be changed in the forum they should bear in mind that the style/direction/nature of the forum should evolve organically - it is decided upon by by the userbase, not by the powers-that-be. (Think of moderators as janitors/bouncers, not as policymakers). So if you think there aren't enough professional engineers around, email your pro audio mates and get them to join in. If you think there aren't enough technique threads, then start some technique threads. NeuroJazz's collaboration threads should be encouraged, as far as I'm concerned.

I stepped down as mod as I need to get around to doing more "real-life" stuff (including making music, which I've been doing shockingly little of recently) so I figured it would be good to get some fresh blood in. As frobisher says, its good to have mods that will actively nudge things along, not merely keep an eye on the place, and I don't have the time I used to. Dave (sei046) is doing a nice job of that in my stead.

The forum has come a long way in the last few years, it is now one of the busier forums in the Music category on boards. I think everyone who has made an active contribution to the forum in recent times should give themselves a slap on the back - the generic noob threads may get tedious after a while but its easy to forget the vast number of noobs starting off with music technology who have been nurtured and advised by the excellent and varied knowledgebase we have here. The number of more experienced, pro or elite users has always been in the minority but it is slowly on the increase, that is good to see too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

I think this music production forum is full of outstanding people with excellent advice. I would like to thank you all for the threads and posts and I yes from time to time we will disagree but so what? What is the big deal with disagreement? It is a luxury that we can all communicate amongst one another and seek advice or opinions, a ****%$g luxury! Get it! Life for all of us could be way worse, you would swear we were all a pack of angry disgruntled hens on our way to the chicken slaughter or something. Its beautiful weather out there, this forum is full of beautiful people and lets just get together for a few drinks and get on with our passion for recording and technology.

Thats a nice end. Lock this mother or something QUICK!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement