Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CompTIA A+

Options
  • 07-05-2008 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

How long does this remain valid for?

If I was to do this course this year, Would it help if I was looking for a job in 1 year or 2 years?

I dont need it for my current job but would like to get into networking in the next couple of years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Tableman wrote: »
    How long does this remain valid for?

If I was to do this course this year, Would it help if I was looking for a job in 1 year or 2 years?

I dont need it for my current job but would like to get into networking in the next couple of years.

I did it about two years ago in hardware, I wasn't aware that there was a time limit on it, however with networks I would imagine you would be expected to keep current if not re-certify as it can change very quickly in a relatively short time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

CompTIA certifications are lifetime credentials. They do not expire.

Once you take the A+ or Network + exam, have a look at the Cisco CCENT exam, it would be the next logical networking exam for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Tableman

however with networks I would imagine you would be expected to keep current if not re-certify
    This is what I mean. Like, re-certify. This means doing it again etc. Would this cost the same every time?

Trust me, you will not re-certify any Comptia exam.

With the Knowledge you gain from the first exam, you will go on to learn more and more, which will push you towards other exams, down other paths.

Cisco is the big name in Networking Certs and even Cisco's exams don't change that much over the years in terms of content. They can be just difficult at the start.
    Would it help if I was looking for a job in 1 year or 2 years?

Yes, it would help you, but again you would be better off to couple it with another Cert or two like the CCNA.

Have a quick look at any Junior Networking Jobs and look and see what they are asking for now, this will give you a good indication of what you will need in the future.

You should also consider doing self study for A+ / Network +, saving your money until you are ready to do a CCNA course.

How much did ye guys pay for it? Dont want to get ripped off

• Advertisement

Its around 265 I think..

The exam is a standard price for everyone

Its around 265 I think..

The exam is a standard price for everyone

Does this include the actual course? I got a quote for 1500 for the course and exams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Tableman wrote: »
    Does this include the actual course? I got a quote for 1500 for the course and exams

I have done net+. I managed to get it funded by FAS. Ended up costing a fraction of full price and you can be working and still get the FÁS funding. Ring around a few colleges to see where runs the course in conjunction with FÁS. I did mine in Ashfield Col in Dub but would NOT recommend doing it there - they are just money hungry w**kers! Woman giving course was a witch who knew FCUK ALL!!!! However, that said I was able to make up for their incompetence by doing the work myself. Look into it, it saved me (well my company) well over a grand.

Hi Tableman,

No, that just covers the actual cost of the exam should you decide to self study.

Remember if you do, do a Course, ask is the exam cost included in the price. Alot of places DONT include the exam cost so at the end of the course you have to pay an extra ~260 to take the exam.

Just to add that I think you consider not doing a course and just go out and buy a book. If you are paying for the course yourself, its a lot of money for something which mightn't pay off for you, as in you might not learn as much as you think you will over the week.

When I first started into computers\networking the Network + was the first course I did, it was also the first course I paid for out of my own pocket. It cost me roughly the same, about 1500 which was about a months wages for me. I remember distinctly thinking after about 2 days into the course what waste of money it had been. We literally just read from a book for the week and after my "course" I still had to go back and spend another two weeks reading the books again and preping for the exam.

I think it was an expensive lesson for me and it taught me a lot, none of which was related to the Network + however.

In these days of Video Tutorials, the Internet and endless books on the shelves. Take the 1500 Euro stick yourself up in a fancy hotel for the week and just self study, its not as hard as you think it will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you have done this & if so what the final exam was like??

Cheers,

R

• Advertisement
Advertisement