Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Supply To Mobile Home

Options
  • 07-05-2008 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I was hoping someone could give me some advice about a problem I am having with my mobile home electrical supply.

The power to my mobile home comes from a centrally installed site supply 16amp protected circuit breaker to directly under the mobile where it is again protected by a 16amp circuit breaker and an ELCB in a very old looking 'box'.

The power then runs directly into the mobile where is is distributed through a standard setup consumer unit (main 64amp, ELCB, 10amp light circuits, 16amp socket circuits)

The problem is that the OUTSIDE ELCB keeps tripping. This happens at irregular intervals and often with hours between trips. It's not a load problem as it trips often with nothing switched on! It has often gone a full day before it trips! The main internal ELCB in the consumer unit never trips; I have tested it and it appears to be working fine.

Should I not just have the main supply under the mobile and the supply into the mobile itself joined using an IP54 junction box? Is there any need to have a seperate ELCB 16amp protected 'box' under the mobile given the setup above?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

Can nobody help me with this one?

Nobody :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Get an electrician to check it out , there could be a fault there

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Horace

Your fridge on all the time it could be causing the problem when the motor start to run it could trip the ELCB

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gazelec

Not too sure on the safety regs for caravan parks but id say if you'd be ok with just a weather proof box instead of the 16amp ELCB as you already have one installed in the mobile home,the 16amp ELCB wouldnt be big enough to look after the home,or else you could have water seeping into the box outside

• Advertisement

gazelec wrote: »
    Not too sure on the safety regs for caravan parks but id say if you'd be ok with just a weather proof box instead of the 16amp ELCB as you already have one installed in the mobile home,the 16amp ELCB wouldnt be big enough to look after the home,or else you could have water seeping into the box outside

Followed this line of advice & everything is now working fine.

The ELCB on the main fusebox in the mobile home itself is now what protects all the socket circuits.

Must have been a faulty ELCB outside or some kind of damp issue.

All fine now so
    > :D

Advertisement