Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steaming pile of turd

Options
  • 07-05-2008 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

Ive been a long time player of pro evo and was fairly disappointed with this years version. Far too fast and much less realistic than it should be. However, I still play it offline from time to time.

Recently I have been playing the latest Fifa (I havent played Fifa in years as they have been crap) and its quite good. Not as good as recent pro evos but I much prefer the slow realistic pace over the 'run the pitch with one player' style of pro evo 2008.

One thing that is great about Fifa is the online play. I played about 10 games over the last few days with almost no lag. I played Pro Evo 2008 online just now and dear god, as the title suggests, its a steaming pile of turd.

Players & balls teleporting all over the place, slowdown, horrible lag, the ball going through players. Its unplayable. Anyone else agree ?

(I'm on 4mb broadband by the way)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Yes, I agree with your viewpoints on the online perspective, but I still don't see anybodies problem with the game offline.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Nailz wrote: »
    Yes, I agree with your viewpoints on the online perspective, but I still don't see anybodies problem with the game offline.

I just think they are currently heading the wrong way while Fifa are heading the right way.

Over the past few years Fifa has been horribly unrealistic and you could easily run the pitch and win 5-0. Pro Evo was always more of a challenge, more realistic. You couldnt just pick up the ball and dribble past 5 players and score for example.

Thats what I liked about it. It had a great mix of realism and arcade action. Its gone far too arcadey for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Pro Evo seems to be going through a bit of an identity crisis alright - it needs a lot more focus and direction for this year.

Its gonna be tough to bounce back strong. Not only do they need to overhaul and improve how the game plays they also need to get on top of technology and deliver next gen graphics and online.

It looks like FIFA might pull even further ahead of PES this year given the momentum of the two. Whether you like the way FIFA plays or not they clearly have a much better grasp of the technology in terms of visuals and online play. Also PES's poor presentation/commentary and no licence dont help.

We might well see the wii version getting prioritised this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭jasonbourme.cs

this is the first time since fifa world cup 98 that i have purchased a fifa game

10 years give of take a few months

sad to say it leaves pro evo battered and bruised ,

fifa is much better game
    • commentary is great
    • shirts are licensed
    • real leagues / cups
    • stadiums are authentic

konami really need to take stock of the PES franchise if its going to have any sort of future following

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

fifa is much better game
    • commentary is great
    • shirts are licensed
    • real leagues / cups
    • stadiums are authentic

all of which have nothing to do with the actual gameplay.

they're two different games, i like the arcade-esque feel to PES this year, makes games more exciting.

Played the new Euro 2008 FIFA and found it sluggish tbh, I used to love fifa up until a few years ago but after playing PES for so long i cant see myself going back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

fifa is much better game
    • commentary is great
    • shirts are licensed
    • real leagues / cups
    • stadiums are authentic

Those points have been made for almost every FIFA and as StickyMcGinty, says, that has nothing to do with gameplay.

What does affect gameplay in PES is a god-awful online set-up that makes the game unplayable. The only other complaint I have about PES compared to FIFA is its lack of innovation. Besides some small movement changes, nothing has been added to PES. However, FIFA has the superb online element and the Ba A Pro mode, which is very enjoyable. I mean, for God's sake, PES even falls down with its lacklustre graphics!!!

I will only get the next PES if it improves immensely on ALL of the above.

Advertisement