Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping in Aran?

Options
  • 07-05-2008 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Yo,
    so it seems a bunch of us may have to go camping out in Aran over the weekend of the 22nd instead of hostelling. Can anyone recommend any decent campsites, or even google maps links?

Cheers,
    WP.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Hmm. Are you with the Galway CS group? Cause we're also attempting to organize a camping trip to aran that weekend!

There's one (official) campground on inis mor. Don't know anything about it, besides the claims that it has a pump and toilets and isn't too far from town. The pictures make it look like your standard farming field with some tents in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 kram_araman

Your right tristanc-The campground in inis mor is simply a standard farming field with a toilet and a bunch of tents. I went to aran last summer and remember cycling past the campsite and thinking that people must have just set up camp in someones field until I saw the sign!! It looked like good fun though as long as the weather is fine.

I think that that might be the only campsite but I'm not positive about that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Hah, I didn't even know there was an oficial site there, I meant just handy fields out ofpeople's way for responsible campers. And no, I'm not with a CS group.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭left_behind

Have camped on that campsite before. Its ok toilet and taps. The problem is you have families and tourists camping there also so you have to keep noise down.
    The next time we camped we just went down a couple of fields camped there no problems and gave the owner of campsite few euros for use of phacilities. campsite is within walking distance of town.

Lovely stuff, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

What's a weekend camping like that actually like.

As in, what do you actually do? Especially if your not into drinking all that much.

Well we're a choir, so we're going out watching the Eurovison, getting hideously drunk and singing til dawn.

That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

wet-paint wrote: »
    Well we're a choir, so we're going out watching the Eurovison, getting hideously drunk and singing til dawn.

That's it.
    Watching the Eurovision while drunk, I suppose that's ok. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Been to Inis Oir twice now with friends, it's the smallest island, and the one with the Father Ted boat and the airstrip for those of you whio are fans...have to say it's nice for a change from the bigger islands, there are a few pubs and b and bs , the campsite is a field with a shower and toilet block as far as I remember. Mightnt be ideal for a large group (you may outnumber the locals) but handy for a small group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

wet-paint wrote: »

That's it.

Well, if we're camping near a group and hear singing, I'll come by and say hi ;)

Well, make that if I hear 'Good' singing - or does drunken choir singing actually just sound like every other drunken bar group?

• Advertisement
Advertisement