Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Interviews

Options
  • 07-05-2008 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

Well lads,
    I wonder is it worth our while looking into getting some of the oul' irish legends on for a Q&A. After all its completely original and has never been done on any other forum....ever.... before. I know there are a few lads on the scene that if persuaded to come on to our forum at some stage down the line they might have a few good stories.

I am expecting a "theres not enough of us" and "but we dont know enough" or actually "YOU dont know enough" here and there but its no harm throwing the idea out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

I think that is a great idea. Who cares who knows what! I think it would also be a good idea if maybe we could get a well known band with producer / engineer on the forum. Maybe giving us a bit of a write up about how they recorded certain tracks or whatever. Maybe a few funny studio stories or unusual tips and tricks. This forum is just as much about that as it is about "recommend a top class vocal / bass drum / trumpet / live mic for under 99euro". I know a few people on boards who are in accomplished bands and I'd say there are a lot more. Just an idea and I'm throwing it out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Sure sounds good to me. Once there is enough people to ask questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

thatd be great, they do something similar on gearslutz

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

ogy wrote: »
    thatd be great, they do something similar on gearslutz

tbh i haven't found them too great over there.

robert babicz and marshall jefferson are regulars over there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I actually emailed a very successful Irish engineer recently about doing this exact thing. He seemed distinctly underwhelmed by the idea :o.
    If someone's up for doing it I think it's a super idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

sei046 wrote: »
    Sure sounds good to me. Once there is enough people to ask questions!

Well that'll be the problem.

Lol yeah they could very easily be like "Right......"

jtsuited wrote: »
    tbh i haven't found them too great over there.

robert babicz and marshall jefferson are regulars over there though.

I lap up those QA sessions on Gearslutz. Love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Well lads,
    I wonder is it worth our while looking into getting some of the oul' irish legends on for a Q&A. After all its completely original and has never been done on any other forum....ever.... before. I know there are a few lads on the scene that if persuaded to come on to our forum at some stage down the line they might have a few good stories.

I am expecting a "theres not enough of us" and "but we dont know enough" or actually "YOU dont know enough" here and there but its no harm throwing the idea out

I think it's a great idea! I never get bored with hearing that kind of stuff.

Does anyone want to throw out a few names? It might be a good idea to let the forum issues thread die before we get anyone though lol

• Advertisement

A few of the Old Guard might be Andrew Boland , Brian Masterson and Tim Martin.

On the 'pop' front there's Chris O'Brien and Graham Murphy

The recently departed (but maybe soon to return?) Soundsound would be interesting from an acoustic instrument point of view.

Of the New Blood, Phil Hayes work on Bell X1 was sonically superb, similarly Stef Soffia , Marc Carolan, Kieran Bradshaw and Fergal Davis are all men of knowledge, and groovy humans too.

I'm sure I've forgotten lots of guys so that's just offa the top of my head.

Oh and Richard Egan or 'Jape' as he's know and Tim 'Neosupervital' who might cover the electronica side a bit.

Ok. Paul you being in the cool gang, might you be able to twist their arm to having a bit of a Q&A with us?

Ok. Paul you being in the cool gang, might you be able to twist their arm to having a bit of a Q&A with us?

I can certainly ask. Do people have a preference for who they'd like to hear from? If you don't know those names doing a Google should tell you who they've worked with.

Also I spoke to my Acoustician today who often lectures in Universities worldwide, he'll gladly do one if guys are interested in that ..... then you can check if I'm Tin Roofin' on mt posts!!

Fair play paul sounds great. TBH I dont have any major preference. But I also dont want the person to come on and be underwhelmed by the lack of questions. It would be no harm giving people a good chance to know when its happening etc.

Maybe Fergal Davies could give a QA on what he's hearing come at him from mastering point of view. Great guy.

frobisher wrote: »
    Maybe Fergal Davies could give a QA on what he's hearing come at him from mastering point of view. Great guy.

I'll be speaking to him tomorrow on another subject and will mention it then.

Fair play paul sounds great. TBH I dont have any major preference. But I also dont want the person to come on and be underwhelmed by the lack of questions. It would be no harm giving people a good chance to know when its happening etc.

Perhaps they way to proceed is to ask a few guys if they're interested, if the lads say yes then announce that here.

Make a few stickies ala

Mastering,

Recording Drums,

Compressing

or what ever chaps suggest and get ALL the guests who are interested to chuck in their Tuppence worth?

Fergal who has been mentioned is also an 'regular' Engineer as well as doing mastering , so he'd have answers to all those sections?

How would that go down?

I loik it a lot. Should be a great source of info and one which wont be available anywhere else with these lads

I loik it a lot. Should be a great source of info and one which wont be available anywhere else with these lads

Well if we get a load of 'Yeas' I'll proceed. No point otherwise.

Sound Sound.....(eh.....)

• Advertisement

Sound Sound.....(eh.....)

BackBack............. maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

as above, this sounds great to me would definitely ask a few questions!

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    BackBack............. maybe!

Good shtuff! get him to drop me a pm if he does

Well if we get a load of 'Yeas' I'll proceed. No point otherwise.

Shall we leave it? There's no point in troubling these guys if no one is interested. (ogy aside)

I'm happy to ask Fergal to do something here for us.

frobisher wrote: »
    I'm happy to ask Fergal to do something here for us.

He's away for a few weeks.....

I don't think we ought ask anyone unless we're sure of an interested audience - I'm not sure there is

He's away for a few weeks.....

I don't think we ought ask anyone unless we're sure of an interested audience - I'm not sure there is

I think that in advance it may hard to get affirmative responses to possible people but that whoever is here will actually get a good turn out and probably a lot of questions.

I also think that if anyone else knows anyone they could ask that would be interested in answering questions on their area of expertise they could do so. Just check with myself or sei046 on dates so more than one person isn't brought in at the same time.

Yeah check with sei046 aswell!

I think as a lead up a big dirty sticky might be no harm. Made a big deal of it

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tweeky

Richard Dowling at WAV mastering in Limerick is a well experienced guy with a wealth of tech knowledge, Bowie/Suede/Kylie/Westlife/Foo fighters, all pro acts.

• Advertisement

tweeky wrote: »
    Richard Dowling at WAV mastering in Limerick is a well experienced guy with a wealth of tech knowledge, Bowie/Suede/Kylie/Westlife/Foo fighters, all pro acts.

Ooops forgot Richard! ... and him a good customer!!

Advertisement