Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good course for life?

Options
  • 07-05-2008 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi all,

Im just wondering if you would consider a Bachelor of Science (honours) in Computer Networks & Systems Management (level 8) a safe area to head into right now? secondary school teaching was my other thought, yet I'd like to do more than take abuse from spoilt teenagers for the rest of my life. Saw something on RTE last night about how we are crying out for computer degrees, yet my brother did one just before the IT crash, and nothing came of it (not the same course though!).

In comparrison, the secondary teaching for construction is 420 points in UL, and the computer course is 285 :eek: big difference! I think I'm well able for the 420 points but could be dead certain the points for teaching will rocket this year...'safe' job and all..

What do you think? Could I go further in IT? Would it be a safe bet? Even though the points are low, does that mean its an easy course? Or is it judged by demand etc..

Really appreciate the replies... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

Can't help you much, but points are based on demand and have nothing to do with how hard/easy they are!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

whether anyone likes it or not, the world is hurtling towards the digital age and anyone with computer skills will be able to find work, even if it's only customer service. networking in particular will always be used considering every company these days has a small network for it's files. Both these directions in life have their plus sides but both also depend on how hard you work at them. teaching isn't a walk in the park to get a job in. and it seems like EVERYONE is going for it these days. On the same token, you're not GUARANTEED a networking job if you get the degree. Whichever one you want, go for it and MAKE it work for ya. It will if you want it enough

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

don't pick a course because of the points or the guarantee of a job, if you are good enough when you are qualified you will find a job.

points have no reflection on how hard a course is - only the demand, and even that can be skewed. The course I did orginally was 445 when i did my LC and they only took in 30 students. I was amazed to find it had dropped to 360 only 4 years later, but then I discovered they were taking in 50 on the course hence the drop in points as more people got in.

Anyway, that aside, I did (science) teaching in UL, the construction studies course is good, there are job prospects out of it, mainly because there aren't that many graduates in woodwork teaching, the points have stayed in and around 420 for at least 10 years I reckon.

Do what will make you happy

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Just a few pointers from someone who is just about to finish his first year in college.

Do a general degree, science for example, rather than a specific one. That way you leave lots of doors open.

Don't pick a degree because "there is a high demand for jobs", pick a degree that YOU are interested in. Neither pick a degree because it's "safe", you do what you WANT to do.

In relation to the teaching thing, I am also thinking about that. You don't have to do the one in UL, which while designed for teaching does have the down side. That being, if you like the subject but find out you hate teaching, where does that leave you!

All you need to get your H. Dip is a degree. Just keep in mind getting into a H. Dip course is dependent on your seocon year results.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Just a few pointers from someone who is just about to finish his first year in college.

Do a general degree, science for example, rather than a specific one. That way you leave lots of doors open.

Don't pick a degree because "there is a high demand for jobs", pick a degree that YOU are interested in. Neither pick a degree because it's "safe", you do what you WANT to do.

In relation to the teaching thing, I am also thinking about that. You don't have to do the one in UL, which while designed for teaching does have the down side. That being, if you like the subject but find out you hate teaching, where does that leave you!

All you need to get your H. Dip is a degree. Just keep in mind getting into a H. Dip course is dependent on your seocon year results.

Just in relation to that degree, yes it's pain if you do teacher training and find you like the course except for the teaching but you can probably transfer to the other woodwork degree in the college anyway (Wood Science) or to another Construction degree in another college. There is a specific HDip (now the postrgraduate diploma in Education) available for woodwork teaching through UL again, but not anywhere else. You cannot apply to any of the other colleges that offer the HDip to do teaching with woodwork.

Second year results only count in a three year degree which mainly tends to be arts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Second year results only count in a three year degree which mainly tends to be arts.

Really? Thanks for that bit of info

Advertisement