Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with a companys CRO no. (or lack of)

Options
  • 07-05-2008 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

I'm not too sure if this is the right place to post this.

I am looking to take someone to the small claims court after paying for something and not receiving the goods after nearly six months (still haven't received them). but they have not registered their business with the CRO.

I have been onto CAI, Revenue, CRO and DETE and possibly some other people, I have been doing a lot of ringing around and the only answer I got besides "I dunno, did you try ... (insert CRO, REVENUE or CAI)" was that the DETE would send send them out a letter asking them to register which would take around 6 months.

Is there nothing else that can be done? not registering the business name is illegal isn't it?
    Surely if the person is trading there has to be a tax record?

I'm pretty stumped. Any recommendations of people I can contact for advice or any clarification on CRO issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Are you sure you have the right company name or just their trading name. Alot of companys trade under one name and the company name is another

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

As far as I'm aware, you have to register as "so and so" trading as "blah de blah".
    The CRO have searched every option, I've been onto them a few times and there's nothing.

There has to be a paper trail somewhere. They're renting a place, they should be paying tax surely? I know the workers were paid cash in hand so nothing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The CRO have searched every option, I've been onto them a few times and there's nothing.
    Then the person whom you dealt with is trading illegally under a fake Limited Company Name and/or Trading name.

If so, you need to directly contact the Commercial Fraud Section of the Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigation - don't even bother contacting your Garda local station about this, they won't have a clue.

Do you have a receipt for the goods or services with the company name on it?

I have a receipt, dated,with the company name and hand signature of the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

there are a few different ways of searching on the CRO. you reallly have to spend a few hours doing different variations of the company name and the owners name. if he is a sole trader he could be just registered under his own name and then he might not have the actual company name registered. so in that instance you would be looking for his actual name as the business name or company name. for example my father has a business and he is a sole trader, so under the CRO he is down as say Mr Board Om, but his shop has a different name over the door. all VAT and invoices etc are sent to Mr Board Om and the business name is just what is painted over the door. nothing dodgy about it, just the way he did it all those years ago. his name is the actual business name.

so basically for a sole trader search the owners name (Joe Bloggs), the owners name Trading As whatever (Joe Bloggs T/A Bloggs Groceries), Bloggs groceries on tis own, and so on. for a limited company the registration details are a bit more strict. and there would be no Trading As (T/A) either. it is very time consuming. i sometimes find googling the company name you have or the owners name and see if it brings back any other comapnies names, then see if the address matchs.

it is very hit and miss. you just have to keep searching as many differnt variations as you can think of. but if they are registered as a business or company in Ireland then they have to be on the CRO. i would start by searching the name on the receipt because the would make the most sense for VAT purposes.

also try this site www.solocheck.ieit is the same companies that are on CRO but it is a bit easier to search. once you find the company name then take down the registered number and put it into the CRO. that should get you all the information you require.

good luck with it.

• Advertisement

Thanks, but been there and done that. He is not registered with them in any way.

Every report I've had on the guy has been bad. and someone I know is onto revenue about him as the guy wouldn't pay him money earned in the shop of around 4-500 quid.

It's ridiculous that I have to do all this work and everyone i ring says there's nothing they can do cause he's not registered. He's the one breaking the law and apparently there's feck all anyones prepared to do about.

Rather than go the cro route can i not report him to standards and practices or something due to how he runs the business?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

If he's trading as a name that doesn't involve his own personal name, then the Revenue Commisioners should investigate that. Trying to get them to do that is a different story. Yes he should be registered with the CRO, but it's not up to them to ensure that, it's up to the man himself.

Either way, talk to the small claims court clerk about how to go about a case involving a person illegally trading.

Advertisement