Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This weeks Eircom League

• 07-05-2008 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Season 2008
    9 May 2008 Bray Wanderers 7:45 Drogheda United Carlisle Grounds
    9 May 2008 Cork City 7:45 Sligo Rovers Turner's Cross sligo
    9 May 2008 Galway United 7:45 Finn Harps Terryland Park
    9 May 2008 St Patrick's Athletic 7:45 UCD Richmond Park
    9 May 2008 Shamrock Rovers 8:00 Derry City Tolka Park
    10 May 2008 Cobh Ramblers 7:45 Bohemians St Colman's Park
    11 May 2008 St Pats Fans 6:00 Shamrock Rovers Fans Iveagh Grounds

Rovers to win, Derry and cobh to draw €5 returns €232

UCD :(

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Sligo to win, Derry and cobh to draw €5 returns €232
    Sligo?

Who are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

DesF wrote: »
    Sligo?

Who are they?

sorry edited :D

kdjac

Hmmmm.

Recko Rovers will do a number this weekend too.

City's season hasn't really gotten started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Big early season 6-pointer between Shels and Dundalk in Oriel (Bouncy castle) Park. So looking forward to this match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

St Pats will beat UCD . They dont have any hoodo over us, their recent good record is just coincidence. A narrow 1-0 win will be the outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I came home on sunday from my travels and i cant wait for the dundalk shels match tonight !!! First game in 26months :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I think City will beat Rovers 2-0 on Friday. I have no grounds for my optimism, but what can you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Sarge wrote: »
    I came home on sunday from my travels and i cant wait for the dundalk shels match tonight !!! First game in 26months :)

Be prepared to see the new wonderkid Tiernan Mulvenna. Everytime he gets on the ball you can feel the crowd being lifted. Nowhere near the finished article yet either but it's good to see local talent getting a chance. I agree with how Gill has used him this season, as in sparingly. If you listen to a game on Dundalk FM they spend most their time complaining about him sitting on the bench.. Give him time.

Cassidy is also a serious class act and i wouldn't be surprised if he scored again tonight..

Should be a good game tonight. Would be a little bit worried about the form Anto Flood is in, and how we are going to stop him. I wouldn't bet against him scoring against his former club. Great signing for Shels btw.

For first goal i would go with my outside chance (same as every other home game), John Flanagan for first goal.

Hoping for a Dundalk win but i wouldn't be too surprised if it ended in a 2-2 draw or something like that.

Away game at Shels showed how evenly matched the teams are. Hopefully the good weather will remain and we'll some some exciting, attractive summer football. and a Dundalk win of course...!

Dundalk win, and it'll be down to the picth.

Excuses in early???:p

Maybe thats a compliment because we play an attractive passing game..

We do play very well at Oriel cause it suits our game, but we can dig in when we're playing on ploughed fields as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

St Pats will beat UCD . They dont have any hoodo over us, their recent good record is just coincidence. A narrow 1-0 win will be the outcome.
    Don't think it's just coincidence. They are, as the cliché goes, a well-organized unit, and their keeper is in good form.
    But I agree. They wont have the benefit of the Bouncy Bowl, and I'd be surprised if you don't get 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Would have predicted us to get a result against Cork before Tuesday nights extra time encounter with Galway , not sure how that willl affect the players now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Revenge for the pick pocket win last season is on the cards.

3-0

John O'Flynn (2), Mooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Ha ha you're hilarious Desmond. So far this season you've had so much confidence in your team you've predicted that they would draw with wexford, draw with Athlone, draw with Longford and lose to Sporting Fingal.

Yet they come up against the league leaders (ie best team in the league thus far) tonight and you state that they will lose "because of the pitch" Sure Des, sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

As I'll be at a wedding in Kildare, Rovers to spite me by beating Derry 2-0.

stovelid wrote: »
    As I'll be at a wedding in Kildare, Rovers to spite me by beating Derry 2-0.
    :confused::confused:
    Rovers are playing Cork City this weekend.

Revenge for the pick pocket win last season is on the cards.

Pickpocket? They hammered us off the field last time they were at The Cross. Losing 1-2 flattered us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

:confused::confused:
    Rovers are playing Cork City this weekend.

Its old Des. Very old.

Will be interesting to see if the good news off the pitch filters through to the Rovers team, who have looked disjointed and even disinterested recently. Conceding three in Sligo is just nowhere near acceptible and the players were rightfully booed off the pitch. A point at least here or it may start getting hot for Scully.

Other games I'll go with Drogs, Cawk, Galway and Harps to draw, Pats, Cobh and the Rovers fans. Although I must admit to not being as sure about the formbook on the last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

gimmick wrote: »
    Pickpocket? They hammered us off the field last time they were at The Cross. Losing 1-2 flattered us!

I'd say we had 65+% possession in that game.

They scored on the break twice.

They scored more.

They deserved to win.

Posession Schmosession

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

We're playing crap at the moment, easy win for Pats.

I'd say we had 65+% possession in that game.

Not the game I remember. I remember they should have been out of sight by half time, but City got a late equaliser in the first half. They scored a free kick early in the 2nd, and comfortably defended that league and almost scored a third.

This is coming from a rose tinted glasses towards Rico man as well. They were also applauded off the pitch by the CRS as they were the first team to come to The Cross to actually play football in a long time.

Just coming up to Half Time in Oriel.

Shels went behind very early. Due to a poxy bounce on the artificial pitch.

Then got one back, but then Keddy was sent off after a second bookable offence.

Gareth Farrelly is convalescing after major surgery over the last couple of days. He was taken ill and brought straight to hospital where a number of tumours were removed from his pancreas.

Heres to wishing him well, and that he makes a full recovery.

2-1 shels

Anto Flood ....lol how in the name of jebus is that guy scoring real goals? that league must be easy like under 8s easy.

kdjac

He's quality in this division.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a few Premier teams in for him in the summer window.

he just got another btw.

3-1 now :eek:

be funny in an ironic way if we bought him from you or tapped him up with more wages from shels. That would actually be ****ing hilarious.

Finn Harps were good in that divison and easily the worst team i have ever seen in the premier or even fai cup matches ever.

kdjac

be funny in an ironic way if we bought him from you or tapped him up with more wages from shels. That would actually be ****ing hilarious.

Why would that be funny?
    Finn Harps were good in that divison and easily the worst team i have ever seen in the premier or even fai cup matches ever.

Yeah, it's a shít division.

One we'll be out of if Flood keeps this up. And we keep him.

It's over.

We won.

ibh wrote: »
    Excuses in early???:p
    Don't need excuses.
    Pighead wrote: »
    Ha ha you're hilarious Desmond. So far this season you've had so much confidence in your team you've predicted that they would draw with wexford, draw with Athlone, draw with Longford and lose to Sporting Fingal.

Yet they come up against the league leaders (ie best team in the league thus far) tonight and you state that they will lose "because of the pitch" Sure Des, sure!
    ....:D

• Advertisement

kdjac
    Shamrock Rovers and Sligo Rovers were the previous two Div 1 winners, they haven't fared so badly in the super dooper high standard Eircom Premier League.
    Don't need excuses.

....:D
    ? You're green smileying yourself there Dessy me old old pal! It was you who said Shels would lose tonight not me. You said it would be because of the pitch.

I said Dundalk were top of the league and therefore the best team in the division. And they still are.

Oh and were the fcuk did they get that spanner of a ref from. Worst display ever! Fair play to Shels though, played with 10 men for most of game and still got the job done. Massive result for them tonight.

? You're green smileying yourself there Dessy me old old pal! It was you who said Shels would lose tonight not me. You said it would be because of the pitch.
    Yep.

The pitch cost us the goal.

By the way, who are them two wallies on Dundalk FM or whatever it's called? Do you know them?
    I said Dundalk were top of the league and therefore the best team in the division. And they still are.
    Not for long on that result.

This will kickstart our season.

Your lot should never have let Flood go.

And this.
    Dessy
    Please, don't call me Dessy again, thanks.

Oh and were the fcuk did they get that spanner of a ref from. Worst display ever! Fair play to Shels though, played with 10 men for most of game and still got the job done. Massive result for them tonight.
    I believe he had to be told to send Keddy off, by the bleedin' Tannoy Announcer.

And probably got your second red wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

He couldn't have got the second wrong. It was on the advice of the linesman, so if anyone was wrong it was the linesman.

Either way, what an amazing night. I've never had so much fun at a game. Dundalk are a good side but I really think we're in a great position to go on and win this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

First game back in the swing of things and OMG , where did the ref and linesman come from!!!!! Fair enough I would hold up my hand to heart and say we deserved to lose but that ref must of had a bet on with the bookies for some of them decisions.

Disgraceful.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Shels have looked strong the few times I've seen them this season. Big win tonight for anyone in the ABD promotion camp too.:cool:

Kilkenny back when Boez won the league there on the last day were truly the worst side I've ever seen in the premier. Something like seven points all season?

Derry might just be the right side for Rovers to play before a huge game at Harps next week.

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=DesF;55881153
    By the way, who are them two wallies on Dundalk FM or whatever it's called? Do you know them?
    [/QUOTE]

John Murphy (former Dundalk captain) and Larry O' Rourke. In fairness, i just treat it as light entertainment and there's no point taking them to seriously. It's just biased commentary, but some of the stuff they come out with is truley hilarious.. Like whenever it looks like Trevor Vaughan is going to come on you'll just hear John groan and say "ah not this fella. we all not what i think of him./ I dunno what he is, but its not a footballer anyway...!)

Referee may have been poor but didn't deserve to get anything out of the game. Good to see an away team bring some fans with them as well.

Wouldn't be getting to carried away yet about who's going to win the league. It was a poor result at home but as we found out last year, it's a long season.
    One defeat isn't going to break this team, and i still think we have a good enough team to win this league.

Good to see an away team bring some fans with them as well.

:eek::eek:

Praise for a Shels crowd.

lol

I don't believe it.
    :D
    Wouldn't be getting to carried away yet about who's going to win the league. It was a poor result at home but as we found out last year, it's a long season.
    A poor result at home against title challengers.

Not as bad as a poor result against a lower placed team, but that's four points we've had off you this season already.

Is this the start of the Dundalk implosion?

I think so.
    One defeat isn't going to break this team, and i still think we have a good enough team to win this league.
    Of course you do, the question is with the manager imo.

:eek::eek:

Praise for a Shels crowd.

lol

I don't believe it.
    :D

I like a good atmosphere at matches. And away fans contribute to this atmosphere.

For example the biggest contribution by away supporters at Oriel before last night was when Crawley cleared to touch (again!!) and knocked a cup of tea out of one of the (5) Monaghan fans hand...!

A poor result at home against title challengers.

Not as bad as a poor result against a lower placed team, but that's four points we've had off you this season already.

Yea i think we have to step it up and not lose at home anymore. But on the plus side, we have put away the lower placed teams both home and away this season. I never expected us to go unbeaten so hopefully it'll just serve as a kick up the ar$e for the players.

Is this the start of the Dundalk implosion?

I think so.

I don't think so. But i may be wrong. I think we'll survive it.

Of course you do, the question is with the manager imo.

My biggest concern for the team is the same as I've had all season. Apart from Mulvenna up front i don't think the strikers will score enough goals. Thus far our midfield has weighed in with goals (Cassidy & Duffy) and the odd defender. Again, we'll have to wait and see. I can't see us signing a striker in the transfer window though.. Anto Flood maybe?? He looks like he could step up to the next level.:D

Made a bit of a fcuk up with the quoting in this post.. Not too hot on this whole interweb thing..

Anto Flood maybe?? He looks like he could step up to the next level.:D
    Hopefully people look at his time with SPA and decide not to take a punt on him, although he is quoted as saying last night, after the match,
    I'm staying at this club [Shels] and I'm staying here next year. I'm enjoying me football here, so there's no reason to move.

Which makes me happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Reckon we'll be top of the league by next Friday. Can see Dundalk slipping up away to Monaghan especially without Cassidy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Anto Flood was useful in the first division for Rovers.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Reckon we'll be top of the league by next Friday. Can see Dundalk slipping up away to Monaghan especially without Cassidy.
    Are you having a laugh? Monaghan is the perfect game to get back on track. Dundalk love playing Monaghan. We've played them about 15 times in the past few years and won almost all of them. And lets not forget that they've lost their last 2 league games 4-0 and 5-0. As I said perfect game to get back on track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Are you having a laugh? Monaghan is the perfect game to get back on track. Dundalk love playing Monaghan. We've played them about 15 times in the past few years and won almost all of them. And lets not forget that they've lost their last 2 league games 4-0 and 5-0. As I said perfect game to get back on track.

They'll turn it around next Friday.;)

SantryRed wrote: »
    They'll turn it around next Friday.;)
    And how shall they do that?! Have they acquired some magic dust? Did the manager make a wish to the dream fairy who promised him a victory against all the odds? You're a clever lad Santry Red. c'mon buddy face it. There will be no turning around for teh Monaghan muckers next weekend. 4 days later is when they will turn their season around.;)

a victory against all the odds
    Like Shels got last night.

Tannoy announcer or no tannoy announcer.

Like Shels got last night.

Tannoy announcer or no tannoy announcer.
    Ah c'mon DesF, give your team a bit more credit than that. Your lot are streets ahead of Monaghan. Last nights result was slightly surprising but a Monaghan win against Dundalk would shake the nation to its very core.

By the way do you still hate Oriel Park? Surely you'd rather play on a surface like last night than on a bumpy lumpy pig of a field in Gortakeegan?

By the way do you still hate Oriel Park?
    Yes
    Surely you'd rather play on a surface like last night than on a bumpy lumpy pig of a field in Gortakeegan?
    At least it has grass.;

You saw yourself, the pitch affected our defence last night, Daisy Brennan was caught for your goal.

Yes

At least it has grass.;

You saw yourself, the pitch affected our defence last night, Daisy Brennan was caught for your goal.
    Yep, that it did. But it was just as likely if not more likely to happen on a grass pitch with divots bumps and lumps galore. Come on Des face it, your lot and our lot like to play football and there was some nice football played last night. Some of which would have been impossible in certain other pitches in our league.

Oriel Park is helping the league create sexy football and you and I both know it. So in summation: Oriel Park=Sexy. Dundalk=Sexy. Pighead=Sexy.

Yep, that it did. But it was just as likely if not more likely to happen on a grass pitch with divots bumps and lumps galore. Come on Des face it, your lot and our lot like to play football and there was some nice football played last night. Some of which would have been impossible in certain other pitches in our league.
    A player is more likely to be able to judge the way a ball will bounce on a grass pitch, than on a surface he plays on twice a season.

It gives Dundalk an advantage. An unfair one.
    Oriel Park is helping the league create sexy football and you and I both know it.
    eL First Division will never be sexy.

So in summation: Oriel Park=Sexy.
    No
    Dundalk=Sexy.
    No
    Pighead=Sexy.
    Yes.

Yes.
    Was gonna argue the toss with you re the pitches, but not gonna bother now. You think I'm sexy, nothing else really matters anymore.

• Advertisement
Advertisement