Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This weeks Eircom League

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

so gutted i couldn't make the match at Oriel last night :( but what a f**King result! :D :cool:

the last number of games things are really beginning to click, confidence is high,the attitude and effort has improved dramatically but there are still a few areas of the team that are vulnerable. however, if Anto '24 goals in 27 games' Flood keeps things up we won't need to rely on any goals from the rest of the team!

title is wide open now but...

Dundalk will have their annual implosion unless they dump Gill
    Waterford are heading for financial meltdown and (hopefully not) could go bust if the rumours are true and
    Sporting Franchise throwing buckets of cash around the place during the window will only attract the wrong type of chequebook players

i'm becoming increasingly confident its going to be our year and i'm a right pessimistic f**ker! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

In all fairness, Oriel Park is some kip though.

Limerick is the only other ground in the league I hate going to more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

SantryRed wrote: »
    In all fairness, Oriel Park is some kip though.

Limerick is the only other ground in the league I hate going to more.
    Hmmmm so you went to the biggest stadium in the 1st division to a match which had the best atmosphere you've experienced this season and seen your team play football on the best surface you've seen this season yet you still think its a kip.

You are definitely having a laugh at this stage laughing boy.

Pighead wrote: »
    Hmmmm so you went to the biggest stadium in the 1st division to a match which had the best atmosphere you've experienced this season and seen your team play football on the best surface you've seen this season yet you still think its a kip.

You are definitely having a laugh at this stage laughing boy.

Biggest stadium in the first division?:confused:

I just don't like the place. Sorry, but I just don't:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Biggest stadium in the first division?:confused:
    Where's bigger than "Oriel Park The Stadium of Lilywhite Dreams and Sexy Football"? I'll tell you where: NOWHERE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Pighead wrote: »
    Where's bigger than "Oriel Park The Stadium of Lilywhite Dreams and Sexy Football"? I'll tell you where: NOWHERE.
    Still rather be there than Oriel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Some great results tonight from Bohs point of view, Drogs lost, Pats drew, Derry drew, chance to go 4 points behind Pats and 4 points clear of Derry if we beat Cobh tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Beep...beep...beep....beep.... the sound of the UCD bus reversing in front of their goal :(

Played flat back 10 no intention of doing anything other than putting men in the way, it worked and the worst thing ever dawned on as i was leaving they will they up this season by one point :(

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Great result for Bray.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Beep...beep...beep....beep.... the sound of the UCD bus reversing in front of their goal :(

Played flat back 10 no intention of doing anything other than putting men in the way, it worked and the worst thing ever dawned on as i was leaving they will they up this season by one point :(

Beaten at your own game? Boo Hoo.

Rovers actually quite unlucky to be held by Derry, to my pleasent surprise. Great buzz with the news on the stadium that seemed to reflect onto the pitch. Maguire as a stop gap center midfielder and did a serious job!

But, guess what, Kelly, yet again, was the main talking point. As soon as I saw who was referee, I knew. What seemed to be a soft penalty for Rovers in the first half cancelled out by, and I am not overdoing it here, the most blatant peno claim ever in the second not given plus the usual irratic decisions. Both sets of fans abusing him which is usually a good barometer.

Decent game almost destroyed by poser in black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

1-0 vs Sligo.

Dominated possession and we're the dominant team..

should have won by more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mathews in!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Great goal from Mooney and what we had we held. Once we went one up, no intention of even trying to play football. It was one of the worst games I have ever seen, but with th manager we have what more can one expect? I was very disappointed with Sligos attitude. They came last season and beat us by playing football. Last night was a game of hoofing by both sides. City had more possession again, so if the rumour is true we will win the league this season in case of a tie 9rather than goal difference it will be on possession and "chances".

The big issue of the game was Sligos penalty shout. From my view it was stone wall, but the receiver of the tackle got sent off for diving. Hard to say. TV will tell all.

Pat Sullivan was playing centre half and was MOTM! Just goes to show that those who award it are halfwits. But then you can dress anything up in a Dublin accent these days and our fans will love it.

Mathews out and I'm not renewing my season ticket while he is in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

sligo's left back was booked three times as well..

i'd agree with gimmick, it was a poor game, and i left the cross not happy with three points, not really feeling anything really.

city are a poor side with some great players who aren't being utilised properly.

on an aside note, round of applause to john o'flynn who looked amazingly sharp and ran his socks off last night, closing down every ball and looking for it constantly when were in possession.. when he's 100% fully fit he's going to be a nightmare for defenders

3461 at the game last night, which was a good turn out tbh.

ramblers and bohs tonight in saint coleman's tonight, looking forward to it, don't be surprised to see rams beat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Beaten at your own game? Boo Hoo.

Notice you didnt win, its been a while now. I think you will survive...just.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Notice you didnt win, its been a while now. I think you will survive...just.

Thats hilarious! Rovers as relegation candidates? Keep 'em coming :D

• Advertisement

Thats hilarious! Rovers as relegation candidates? Keep 'em coming :D

You not getting worried? A few of your fans are.

Bohs 1-0 up in Cobh.

1-0 win for Bohs, sounded like a game of 2 halves, destroyed them first half then sat back in the second, Murphy saved a penalty. 4 points clear of Derry in second.

bohsman wrote: »
    You not getting worried? A few of your fans are.

About getting relegated? Who is?

We are worried that we are not playing to our potential and might not qualify for Europe.

3 teams going down, its going to be a long tough season for the bottom 5 or 6 clubs. A few rovers fans sounded very down here and on foot.ie over the last few weeks. More than likely itll be 3 of ucd, cobh galway and harps but rovers and sligo could easily get dragged into the mess if Galway start defending and Cobh and UCD keep playing well. Im still not sure what to make of Bray, they could end up back down there if a few results go against them aswell but theyve looked impressive from what Ive seen.

St Patricks Athletic 10 25
    Bohemians 10 21
    Derry City 10 17
    Bray Wanderers 10 17
    Cork City 10 16
    Drogheda United 10 16
    Sligo Rovers 10 15
    Shamrock Rovers 10 12
    U.C.D 10 8
    Finn Harps 10 7
    Cobh Ramblers 10 6
    Galway United 10 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

More than likely itll be 3 of ucd, cobh galway and harps but rovers and sligo could easily get dragged into the mess if Galway start defending and Cobh and UCD keep playing well. Im still not sure what to make of Bray, they could end up back down there if a few results go against them aswell but theyve looked impressive from what Ive seen.
    We have been very poor this season, zero attacking threat and hard to see where the goals will come from. Lucky to get two points from our last two matches. There's just too many poor players in our midfield/attack. Defence is fine but we need wins against the teams around us.

Harps are certainties to go down I think, too many injuries at the moment and all is not well up there with Hegarty placing the whole squad on the transfer list. Galway have been improving since Kenna took over and should continue to do so. I could see them nicking three points against us next week. Cobh are better than their position suggests and I think they could be the ones who escape relegation.

I would be surprised if Bray are dragged down into the relegation dogfight- too many quality players there for that too happen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rovers get a draw next week and they'll be safe. Six weeks since they won. 2 point gap to Harps if they lose.

Ironically, Rovers' best performance since Galway only gives a 1-1 draw. A goal out of nothing and Derry looked very poor and toothless. Rovers contained them easily. Really refreshing Rovers attitude up to the first goal then defensive mode kicked in.

Though Eric McGill and Darragh Maguire is not a viable midfield option in the long term. Rice on the right helped O'Brien play much better and Tyrrell looked good. Ferguson is still an outstanding centre-half, particularly against the likes of Sammon and Amond looked far superior than Purcell or Doyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

what are the fixtures like for next week? I went to Bray on Friday and it was a good enough match...hate Bray and their fans so very much.

About getting relegated? Who is?

We are worried that we are not playing to our potential and might not qualify for Europe.

:D:D:D

last 6 games for Rovers

P W D L F A PTS
    6 0 2 4 4 9 2

european form if i ever saw it!

keep this spectacular form up and get injuries to key players in your small squad and will be a long long season of looking over your shoulders for Rovers thats for sure.

what are the fixtures like for next week? I went to Bray on Friday and it was a good enough match...hate Bray and their fans so very much.

fixtures here.... http://www.eircomloi.ie/news-centre/media-centre/january-2008/press-release-4/index.xml

Bohs Cork on Sunday should be a good game, I think 7pm on a Sunday is a great time for a match aswell.

Bohs Cork on Sunday should be a good game, I think 7pm on a Sunday is a great time for a match aswell.

It's not for away fans though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Sunday afternoon might be a possibility with the Premiershpi coming to an end now.

Compared to Friday 7 45? Both days are going to cause problems for people using public transport with Sunday leaving more time for travel to the venue. I know Id be far more likely to travel to Cork on a Sunday than a Friday.

I do think Friday nights is a horrible time to try to get new punters to matches, the 2 main crowds marketed 18-30s and families are far more available on a Sunday afternoon/evening.

Compared to Friday 7 45? Both days are going to cause problems for people using public transport with Sunday leaving more time for travel to the venue. I know Id be far more likely to travel to Cork on a Sunday than a Friday.

I do think Friday nights is a horrible time to try to get new punters to matches, the 2 main crowds marketed 18-30s and families are far more available on a Sunday afternoon/evening.

I agree to get new fans into games Sunday is a great time, and to be fair thinking about it again Friday nights and Sunday nights aren't the best times for games. Hopefully with the Premiership ending now they can move the games to maybe a four o clock kick off. Looking at the weather today, you're guaranteed to get some amount of people coming in to just watch a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

cobh deserved a draw last night against bohs. bohs were good first half, very quick, some superb passing, and neal fenn is a genius with the ball at his feet.

ramblers though were a different team second half, and were it not for them having a penalty saved, i think they would have gone on to win. they dominated the second 45.

but that's the story of their season. playing well and not taking their chances.

fancy bohs to beat cork city next week

• Advertisement
Advertisement