Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must...not....kill

Options
  • 07-05-2008 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

right, there's the story.

I had a DS3P, and went 3870 Crossfire. Except it wouldn't work, no matter what. Both cards working, tested seperately, fans spinning, etc, no problem. But Crossfire wouldn't work. I could enable it in CCC, but all other apps reported it as not working.

Fast forward to now - I have a 650i ds4l, and the exact same problem. Have 2x8800GTS, both work seperately, both fans spinning, but windows is only picking up one card, and Sli is not an option and it is reported as disabled. I know the pins are set right, because the slots now work at 8x each, but just no Sli. Obviously, the bridge is on as well.

It just seems remarkable that I'm experiencing the exact same problem with a different build. The only shared component is the psu, a 700w Jeantech Storm, with over 50a on the 12v, so power isn't an issue, both modular cables work individually when tested, etc. All reviews I've read gave it a thumbs up as a reliable supply. So I think even in the unlikely hypothetical situation that the psu was a bit on the weak side, the card would at least be picked up. But it's not, at all. It's like it just doesn't exist. I've also seen users on other forums running GTX Sli with this supply...

Help, please, before I go out to my shed for a sledgehammer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

pretty basic here but anything to do with windows or drivers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yep, tried different drivers....nothing. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Might be a dumb question but...did you enable SLI in the BIOS?

In device manager, does it show both.

When you uninstalled your drivers did you do so in safe mode?

This thread might help...

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=938853

No, only shows one card in Device Manager, even though both technically work....and both work individually. There's no option to enable Sli in the bios....and nothing about it in the manual either. Just says set jumpers, and attach bridge, install drivers....

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

Is the PCI lane somehow disabled in the BIOS

• Advertisement

No...nothing is out. I'm 100% stumped at this stage. its a ds4l. i have the latest bios...

Brief and embarrassing revelation by myself over on Guru3d. :o
    your not gonna believe this - keep in mind i've never used jumpers for sli before and was going by the manual. the jumper diagram in the manual seems to be wrong - i set the jumpers sort of....half and half if that makes sense, which does when I bothered to think bout it logically, giving each lane 8x. but in the manual, it says ALL jumpers must be placed on jumpers 1+2 for Sli mode, and even shows a photograph for Sli mode, showing all the jumpers on 1+2. I thought this a bit weird but didn't question it. After all, they make the board and I'm actually pretty clueless when it comes to the technicalities sli and allocation of lanes.

So is this a case of a bizarre manual or what? I'm still a bit confused, though Sli seems to be working now - at least according to the CP and GPU-Z..

Advertisement