Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ursuline college anti-litter initative

Options
  • 07-05-2008 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

For those of you out there who give out about the youth today having no sense of responsibility or community spirit and after criticism of some of the students at sligo i.t here is a good news student story:eek:

Transition year students at the Ursuline College in sligo as part of their "Young Social Innovators" programme decided that as litter has been a topical issue in recent years in Sligo they decided they wanted to do something about it. After further investigation they decided they wanted to focus on the problem of chewing gum on the streets. As part of the solution they propose installing "gummy bins", colorful and designed in the shape of Gummy Bear heads and specifically designed for gum disposal its hoped some of these on the towns streets and in local businesses will help allievate the problem. According to the students where the scheme has been carried out before gum litter has been reduced by up to 72% in various UK towns and universities.
    If anyone on boards has a local business or would like to sponsor the project in anyway contact the Ursuline at 0719161653:)
    (see todays sligo champion page 11 for full article)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Fair play to them!

Even the subject being in the local press, or seeing the bins around, might remind people not to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

any sort of bins to start off with would be nice to honest, i work in finisklin, where i pass i former cafe/news agent, an exsisting one, a school , numerious business', and not one litter bin

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Agree, should get bins in finisklin.

However, I got the email about the gummy bins or whatever they are (they were asking us to give them money for them) and I'm willing to bet the "brightly coloured, gummy bear shaped bins" get destroyed by the drunken IT students!!

Xiney wrote: »
    However, I got the email about the gummy bins or whatever they are (they were asking us to give them money for them) and I'm willing to bet the "brightly coloured, gummy bear shaped bins" get destroyed by the drunken IT students!!

or end up with the stolen traffic cones

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

I read the thread title as "Ursuline college anti-hitler initative".

We could have done with their moxy back in the Forties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

What a jolly commendable idea for these upstanding fellows - to take valuable time out from studying 24/7 and to put something back into the community. We should all salute them in their efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Xiney wrote: »
    I'm willing to bet the "brightly coloured, gummy bear shaped bins" get destroyed by the drunken IT students!!

QFT, or end up in some students flat... Lousy students!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Where does the gum come from in the 1st place? Feckin students usually. :D
    No it's far from exclusive by students and I dont see the need for such a comment in a thread thats highlighting a most welcome approach to a problem by the students.

Maybe post a wee bit of praise for them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

muffler wrote: »
    No it's far from exclusive by students and I dont see the need for such a comment in a thread thats highlighting a most welcome approach to a problem by the students.

Maybe post a wee bit of praise for them

Have to agree. We already have a thread whinging about students. This doesn't need to turn into a second.

Fair play to them anyway, Hopefully it will have some effect!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

Agreed, they have been working hard on the project "hassling";) local businesses for sponsorship so hopefully its gets off the ground, praise where praise is due

• Advertisement

That editing facility rocks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

What a jolly commendable idea for these upstanding fellows - to take valuable time out from studying 24/7 and to put something back into the community. We should all salute them in their efforts.

Totally agree with the sentiment but my sarcasm detector has gone haywire!:D
    In fairness lots of people give out about various things that bug them but at least ursuline girls are been a bit proactive about doing something,

QFT, or end up in some students flat... Lousy students!

was thinking along the same lines but did not want to brand all stdents the same as was once one my self, hence my traffic cone responce

:o

irish-stew wrote: »
    was thinking along the same lines but did not want to brand all stdents the same as was once one my self, hence my traffic cone responce

:o

I think we've all done the "nick traffic cone on the way home from the pub" thing. I once got one with one of those flashing lights on it. It took pride of place in the sitting room for at least 3 weeks (then the battery died). It was THE stoner student flat "must have" accessory. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

In first year I lived in a house with 16 other first years.

(pauses for the gasps from the audience)

If you went through the window in my room, you could use the roof as a balcony. We weren't supposed to but we did anyway. We had lawn chairs and an old crate for a table. And a "railing" - completely made out of traffic cones and building site signs. None of them were stolen by me, though, and I got pretty annoyed with the stoners always wanting to get in and out of my room.

Advertisement