Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Panic! Driving test on 19th May

Options
  • 07-05-2008 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'll be doing car driving test on Mon 19th May at Rathgar test centre but I haven't really prepared anything. I've been driving and holding licence for many years back in home country.

At this stage, many driving schools have been fully booked for few driving lessons and car rental on day of test. I'm getting panic now but will keep trying to get this sorted. :eek: If anyone know any decent driving school available for this, please PM me!

Also, I'm a bit confused on the letter from RSA saying "that first time learner permit holders must hold the learner permit for six months for licence category B on the date of the test." What does it mean? My provisional is my first which will expire by mid Jun 2008. Does that mean I have to be on provisional more than 6 months or I can't take the test if the provisional licence is less than 6 months to expiry date? :confused:

Any advice and tips? Many thanks!

Mart

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

That rule doesn't apply to provisional licence holders. Best of luck in the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

mart_max wrote: »
    ...Also, I'm a bit confused on the letter from RSA saying "that first time learner permit holders must hold the learner permit for six months for licence category B on the date of the test." What does it mean? My provisional is my first which will expire by mid Jun 2008. Does that mean I have to be on provisional more than 6 months or I can't take the test if the provisional licence is less than 6 months to expiry date? :confused:

it basicly means that yuo have to have held your provisional licence for at least 6months duration and seen as you say above yours will expire in June I would say that you're fine on that regard.

Good luck in your test :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

thanks for the info - that really put my mind in peace.

just got some replies from few driving schools - sounds positive so hopefully i can get behind the wheel few times before the test and also have a car for the test. Booked for an 1 hour lesson on Friday. Hoping can get more lessons to make myself more confident on Irish roads. :)

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

kerry4sam wrote: »
    it basicly means that yuo have to have held your provisional licence for at least 6months duration
    It applies to Learner Permits only - not Provisional Licences.

It applies to Learner Permits only - not Provisional Licences.

It's either/or according to a letter i received from SGS on 1st May 08 ... I've my provisional licence with 19months now and they wrote to me about setting a date for my driving test and the first paragraph says "all driving test candidates must be in possession of a provisional licence/learner permit that has been valid for a minimum period of 6months on the date of the driving test for the category being tested"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

sorry i should have quoted this actually from RSA letter dated 15 April 2008, not realising there's a difference between provisional licence and first time learner permit

"that first time learner permit holders (person not previously holding a provisional licence in the category) must hold the learner permit for six months for licence category B on the date of the test."

i hope i'll be alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

You won't have any problems in that regard.

Guaranteed Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It's either/or according to a letter i received from SGS on 1st May 08 ... I've my provisional licence with 19months now and they wrote to me about setting a date for my driving test and the first paragraph says "all driving test candidates must be in possession of a provisional licence/learner permit that has been valid for a minimum period of 6months on the date of the driving test for the category being tested"

That is not correct, only learners permits require you to have it for 6 months. I think you read your letter wrong, or it was just a mistake in the letter.

That is not correct, only learners permits require you to have it for 6 months. I think you read your letter wrong, or it was just a mistake in the letter.

that's the opening paragraph on my letter from SGS alright ... yeah wishbone said the same as yourself but this then tells me different :confused: Maybe it's just the standard letter that they sent out and sent it out with the wording incorrect... It doesn't affect me but it might do some people who aslo received this standard letter seen as it wrong by them

Advertisement