Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accounting Knowledge

• 07-05-2008 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Basically what I want to know is how good at accounting were you when you left college and started work?

When you start work do you just pick it up as you go along or do you really need to know what you learned in college? I'm not that bad at accounting its just that I dont know if I am good enough.

Any insight would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I use to be like this exactly the same as yourself.

In the space of three years training in practice after graduating in DKIT in Accounting and Finance, I can confirm that I learned twice as much in practice than I did in college.

The reason for this was that I was practicing to pass exams and not taking in the knowledge from classes as much as I should, so even though I passed the exams with flying colours I couldnt really apply that to real situations in practice.

That all changed when I started working, it took about a year to get settled in and it takes time to get fimiliar and comfortable with all the FRS's etc.

Having a good understand of double entry always seen me through right from the beginning.

Also completing your professionals exams will also help you and bring you up to date. I found this to be a real help as well.

Other points to note is reading current accounting material. Make a list of queries you have, ask your manager to explain them and also research the relevant FRS for accounting treatment and disclosure, put in some work yourself and you will be flying in no time but it does take some time so stick with it ok.

Advertisement