Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Minister for Justice

Options
  • 07-05-2008 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

Wondered what are people's opinions with the appointment of Dermot Ahern as the new Minister for Justice (while Brian Lenihan moves to Finance)

While he be as pro-active as Lenihan appeared to be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

It's an interesting one. Dermot Ahern has been very pro-active in the Department of Foreign Affairs but it was mentioned on a radio programme that it can be very difficult for a TD to do much wrong in this department (compared to other domestic related departments of Government, that is).

It will be interesting to see what will happen of the course of the next few months.

God help Minister Martin, though. Talk about out of the frying pan..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moved with redirect. Not an ES issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Hopefully he will have the bottle to set some sort of immigration limits. Brian Lenihan couldnt have enough of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Buffygirl

I can't understand why he moved Lenihan to finance given that his ministry there was so short and certainly that he himself was only in office for 11 months.

That said I think that Dermot Ahern may take the bull by the horns and tackle some of the more important issues rather than faffing about in Templemore as the new recruits parade before him :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Hopefully he will have the bottle to set some sort of immigration limits. Brian Lenihan couldnt have enough of them.

I don't think immigration is going to be a problem over the next 10 years.
    Maybe emmigration ?

BTW who are "them", immigrants or limits ?
    If it's the former just try and remember we Irish have been immigrants ourselves.
    But then again the people usually complaining about bloody immigrants are the ones that sat on their ars** at home rather than emmigrating and sending money home to help keep families and the country afloat.

Back on topic it doesn't matter who is minister. They usally just make noises about doing things, some are just a lot more noisy than others e.g McDowell.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »
    I don't think immigration is going to be a problem over the next 10 years.
    Maybe emmigration ?

BTW who are "them", immigrants or limits ?
    If it's the former just try and remember we Irish have been immigrants ourselves.
    But then again the people usually complaining about bloody immigrants are the ones that sat on their ars** at home rather than emmigrating and sending money home to help keep families and the country afloat.

Back on topic it doesn't matter who is minister. They usally just make noises about doing things, some are just a lot more noisy than others e.g McDowell.

them as in immigrants. Why do all the liberals who give about people who have a problem with mass immigration always go on about 'the irish were once immigrants'? We know that, tell us somehthing you dont know. It has nothing got to do with allowing hundreds of thousands of foreigners into this country.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Immigration from EU member states can't be limited, whatever the Minister for Justice says or does. Immigration from non-EU countries is already limited.

This isn't an immigration thread. Back on topic.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Immigration from EU member states can't be limited, whatever the Minister for Justice says or does. Immigration from non-EU countries is already limited.

This isn't an immigration thread. Back on topic.

Just to finish, thats the heart to the matter. We should retake our immigration powers and stop the madness of open boarders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

jmayo wrote: »
    If it's the former just try and remember we Irish have been immigrants ourselves. .

The irish need to give this chip on the shoulder a rest for a while. I worked on the sites abroad so what???, should I now not have an opinion on immigration policy because I happened to work manully in another country. I suppose I should have tried to claim asylum?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Just to finish, thats the heart to the matter. We should retake our immigration powers and stop the madness of open boarders.
    You mean leave the EU?

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    You mean leave the EU?

Well that would be the best thing imo. But not even going that far, just reclaim our right to control immigration into this country from Europe (like the brits said no to the euro and are still in the EU). If they said no, then simply leave and become an independent country again shock horror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

Well that would be the best thing imo. But not even going that far, just reclaim our right to control immigration into this country from Europe (like the brits said no to the euro and are still in the EU). If they said no, then simply leave and become an independent country again shock horror.

good luck with that ;)

open borders are here to stay, do you want to become some sort of 'hermit kingdom'? Works very well for North Korea. oh, wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Yeah, it could work in theory but we'd need to fundamentally change our economy and how we do business. Leaving the EU means we could no longer export to our EU neighbours in a competitive way as we would have import tarrifs placed on our goods and services in those countries. It would also mean our irish expatriates in our EU neighbours would have to leave and come home or to the UK. I am not totally against you-globalisation has a lot to answer for but be realistic....when we were an 'independent country' (in quotes because we weren't really-our currency was pegged to Sterling and our trade was almost exclusively with them) we had almost nothing but one export of note....people! There's things wrong with the EU but the answer is not to shut up shop and go back to the old days when european nations were at each other's throats or sitting on the sidelines (us) while the new world progressed in peace.

In case I was unclear earlier, this isn't an immigration or an EU thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Kovik

There's little to be done in Justice these days, really. However, Ahern is quite a capable politician so I would hope that he may make better use of the ministry.

The key to immigration: When there's not a huge surplus of jobs available, immigrants stop coming. It's pretty much self-regulating and observably better for the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Buffygirl wrote: »
    I can't understand why he moved Lenihan to finance given that his ministry there was so short and certainly that he himself was only in office for 11 months.

That said I think that Dermot Ahern may take the bull by the horns and tackle some of the more important issues rather than faffing about in Templemore as the new recruits parade before him :rolleyes:

I think we are too used to the Bertie yardstick when it comes to promotion in the ranks. Bertie had career progression steps, before you got the big jobs. You have to earn your crust in the party (get elected, re-elected, drag in a running mate or two, then you might get to head a Dail committee, junior minster etc.) Geography plays its part too.

Cowen seems to think differently, in that if you are good enough, you are old enough.

But what will still be clear is that if you have a up and coming ministry, and get demoted into what appears to be a lesser job, you won't be able to climb back up the greasy pole.

On Dermot Ahern, he got what he wanted. He said so on the radio. After Foreign Affairs, the only jobs that are bigger or have more kudos are the the money departments and finance wasn't his forte.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Is Dermot Ahern going to clean out the corruption in the Garda Síochána before they get as bad a reputation as the Roman Catholic Church ?

good luck with that ;)

open borders are here to stay, do you want to become some sort of 'hermit kingdom'? Works very well for North Korea. oh, wait...

Why do you have to be so extreme? Its either open boarder or north korea style?! We can be intelligent and allow a certain amount in per year for example. This will allow us to plan for schools, hospitals etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

Why do you have to be so extreme? Its either open boarder or north korea style?! We can be intelligent and allow a certain amount in per year for example. This will allow us to plan for schools, hospitals etc.

a certain amount per year of who, exactly?

- EU nationals? Sorry, can't do that.

- Non-EU nationals? Don't we already have an immigration policy to cover them or did I miss that meeting?

Are you advocating leaving the EU?

Allow me to rephrase my earlier points, for clarity:

This isn't an immigration thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Belfast wrote: »
    Is Dermot Ahern going to clean out the corruption in the Garda Síochána before they get as bad a reputation as the Roman Catholic Church ?

Is this not a case of give a dog a bad name and hang him?

Corruption in the Gardai is not as rife as some people would like to believe, Donegal would be the exception rather than the rule!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

them as in immigrants. Why do all the liberals who give about people who have a problem with mass immigration always go on about 'the irish were once immigrants'? We know that, tell us somehthing you dont know. It has nothing got to do with allowing hundreds of thousands of foreigners into this country.

I think what annoys me is that a proportion of people that have a problem with immigration into Ireland are the same people that say the US should allow the illegal Irish to stay in America.

FFS. Thread closed, OPENROAD banned for a week.

Edit: OPENROAD's ban has been lifted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement